cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Marvel figure smells like cigarette smoke.

I am an avid collector of Titan Hero Series figures from Marvel, so when I saw a 12 inch Thor for only 5 bucks plus shipping I couldn't resist but to enter my bid. That was a grave mistake because I then noticed that in the seller's description he mentions "may come from a smoker's home." I asked him what he meant by this  and he responded, telling me that he himself doesen't smoke but that the figure's previous owner may have. The whole time it was just a big maybe. So to my dismay, the figure arrvied reeking of cigarette. I am very scared to even touch it. The figure is made of hard PVC plastic and and has a soft cloth cape.  My biggest question is how can I possibly rid this figure off it's cigarrette odor and make it safe, so I don't have to throw it away. And how can I do it so that I don't ruin the paintjob?  I really like this figure but my personal health is obiously more important to me. Any ideas are appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read this. 

P.S, never entering a bid WITHOUT reading the description.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: New Marvel figure smells like cigarette smoke.

If it's made of PVC, I doubt it is painted. It is most likely molded with dyed PVC.

You might try washing it with Dawn dish soap.

The cape could be washed gently by hand with some liquid ERA detergent.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. I might give it a try. Removing the smell is one thing but will doing this also remove the toxic conpounds left in the toy?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@101listings wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I might give it a try. Removing the smell is one thing but will doing this also remove the toxic conpounds left in the toy?

If you are truly concerned about "toxic compounds" I'd be more worried about the toxic chemicals the Chinese use to make these items.

The cigarette smoke would be the least of my worries.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Oh gosh. I hope the smell goes away. This forum has so many such posts about being duped or complains that they always shock me cause I have never really experienced such things. 

If there were no humor, life would be tragic
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Put it in the dishwasher top rack.

I have to do it all the time.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@decorating_is_my_game wrote:

@101listings wrote:

If you are truly concerned about "toxic compounds" I'd be more worried about the toxic chemicals the Chinese use to make these items.

The cigarette smoke would be the least of my worries.

Like lead maybe?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I go to nearly every estate and garage sale in my area and see these types of items all the time. I generally pass because it can be really disgusting and not worth the trouble. Often times buyers fail to read descriptions or sellers fail to properly disclose the problem. I would recommend wiping it down with disinfecting wipes, letting it dry and put it in a ziploc bag,  place in the freezer overnight and see if that helps. Not sure what you can do with the cape other than wash it gently and hope for the best.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I don't think the figure is toxic by nature as it is made by Hasbro and if the toys were that toxic they would go out of business. So the cigarette smoke is the least and only concern.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

turn him on to ecigs

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You can soak it in warm water with dishwashing liquid. Soak for 15 minutes. Rinse. Let it air dry. If it still stinks, OPEN A FRESH BOX OF BAKING SODA. Put the figure in a PAPER BAG and sprinkle the baking soda on the figure. Close the bag and let it sit at least a day. A paper bag works better because it allows fresh air into the bag.

I was able to remove a musty smell from some very rare Gi joe clothing items. I never tried this with a plastic toy but I am pretty sure that it will help remove the smell.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

thank you
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You're welcome. Make sure that the FRESH baking soda is on the figure. If after a few days, you still smell it. TOSS OUT the baking soda and add FRESH baking soda and let it sit a few more days.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply