cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I work in Florida on an H-1B visa. Can I also sell on eBay?

Regards

I am working in Florida under the H-1B visa. In addition to continuing working with my employer, I want to sell on eBay, can I?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: I work in Florida on an H-1B visa. Can I also sell on eBay?

@jomiva160875,

As long as you can provide a U.S. based bank account when you fill in your financial information, you should not have a problem selling on the site. 

There are several things you need to know when you start selling that are buried deep in the getting started selling info.  The first is that for your first few sales you will have a Hold placed on your first few payments. Read the info in the link below, especially in the New or infrequent seller section.  You may have to pay for shipping out of pocket until the hold is lifted.  When you set up your shipping rules, I suggest only selling to U.S. based buyers at first.   DO NOT list expensive items until you have made some sales.  Scammers, like to find new sellers and try to get them to take transactions off ebay.  If you get a message from a "buyer" asking you to text or call them, do not do that, just ignore their messages.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Registering as a seller | eBay

You have to register as a seller.   If you sign up for managed payments with a social security number and US checking account there is no way for eBay to even know your visa status.   The money will be reported to the IRS so is taxed. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

If it was me, I would check the H-1B visa regulations before I even tried to sell on eBay. Why risk permanently losing your H-1B visa by not following the rules?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

eBay probably doesn't care what your immigration status is, as the other responders have suggested.

However, eBay is required to report any payments processed into your account if the gross total of the payments is over $600, to the IRS. It's possible that this income could be made available to immigration as well, and if you are violating the terms of your visa by doing work that you are not authorized to do in the USA, then you could face consequences as a result of that (you could be deported). In general, an H1-B visa allows you to do one specific job, for the specific employer who sponsored your visa, and you are not allowed to do any other work.

I would suggest that you need to speak to an immigration lawyer to find out if you would be allowed to sell on eBay, under the terms of your visa. The IRS generally, by default, regards selling on eBay to be gig work, and gig workers are held to the same requirements and standards of any other workers.

The purpose of an H1-B visa is to allow an employer to bring in a foreign worker, who has a post-secondary degree (or an advanced degree may be required in some fields) to fill a position for which the employer is not able to find a qualified US citizen or permanent resident. The H1-B visa allows a qualified candidate to work for that employer only, and only in the position for which their visa was approved.

If the employer who sponsored the visa goes bankrupt, or if the position that the visa was authorized for is not available anymore, then the H1-B visa can be cancelled and the holder would be required to leave the USA.

An H1-B visa is often used as a pathway to permanent residency, and that is allowed and often expected. In that case, you might be better advised to wait a few years. Once you are a permanent resident, then you can do whatever work you want, for anyone.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The money is reported to the IRS if the total amount received is 600.oo or higher.   When you fill out your tax forms, you write your expenses and deductions and SUBTRACT that from the income received.  IF there is profit, ONLY that profit is taxed.  IT would be taxed at the rate that you are supposed to be taxed depending on ALL of your income. 

Goodluck.  Read these boards before you start selling to learn and hopefully not get ripped off by scammers. Start by selling inexpensive items.  Do not start by selling expensive electronics or phones. Also be aware that Ebay can hold your funds for up to 30 days especially if they are pricey items like phones and electronics. Start small.  Goodluck.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Unfortunately, you can not because the H1B Visa rule is tough, simple and straightforward; you can't have multiple income sources as an H1B holder. You can only sell personal items and it should  be done in a way that it is not regarded as a means of employment. Per the rule of your visa, you are not required to work for another employer except your sponsor (company) and selling on eBay would suggest just that, which in turn will get you into serious trouble and most likely face deportation. 

Knowing this, I'd recommend you buy and sell on your local marketplace or use Facebook marketplace for buying and selling but insist on taking cash. It's not a proper way to do things since you can't work elsewhere or do any business for now. However, if you must...

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply