cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos rotating 90 degrees on upload from icloud or iphone

All of our photos are uploading 90 degrees to the left from icloud or iphone.  I have been selling for years and the last time this was an issue I could mass rotate all of them the opposite way (to compensate) before they were uploaded to eBay and they would then upload correctly.  This is not longer a solution that is working. They upload sideways, towards the left, no matter what.

I did not turn my camera when taking photos, I have used orientation lock and the solution to rotate each one is unacceptable.  We have over 1,000 unique photos to upload and 130 listings to complete.

Is there an ebay technician or someone who has solved this issue on the boards?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@midlifeprices 

Regardless of "rotation lock", the standard orientation on cameras and phones is landscape. The image receptor is physically mounted this way. That means the default image matches the phone orientation when the case dimple is on the right, regardless of where the virtual button appears on the screen.

When you rotate your camera or phone away from the default orientation, the device will set a rotation flag that is carried with the EXIF data associated with each picture. Typically, your browser will interpret that flag and display the photo rotated to the same orientation you held the camera.

Photos uploaded to eBay are stripped of EXIF data, so eBay will not have access to the orientation flag. The image will display landscape per the physical orientation of the image receptor housed within the device.

The solution is to rotate your images (all the pixels, not just the flag) before upload to eBay. It has been my experience that images rotated in the phone will physically rotate the pixels, not just the flag, but you should test. If you have bulk access to your photos on your iPhone or in the cloud, edit/rotate them a full 360 from what is displayed. That should rewrite the pixels. Test a few to confirm.

Or, if you are using eBay's listing form with the HTML5 image uploader, any edit that you perform on the image should rewrite the pixels within your browser prior to upload to eBay. Shrinking oversized images (those more than 1600 pixels on the long side) within the uploader should fulfill this need, but confirm.

To avoid this step in the future, hold your phone with the dimple to the right and avoid pointing straight down where upside-down is too easy a possibility. And of course, take advantage of the square image option, if your phone has it, so that you won't be tempted to rotate the phone to get a better aspect ratio.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

For those who have Adobe CC or Adobe Lightroom we have found a solution. Simply import your photos into Lightroom, export, and upload the photos you just exported into eBay. They will be oriented correctly. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I thought I was the only one with this issue, and was told about this link....so yes,  I take the photo vertical, download onto my computer, rotate it to the proper orientation, BUT when I upload  to either ebay.ca, or  ebay.com either directly, or using turbo Lister, the rotation either stays at the original orientation, or rotates twice..if that makes sense.

I have tried different cameras, - still an issue.

I tried uploading pictures into another online website, and the rotation is correct.

This issue only started when I started using a computer with windows 10

This seems to be solely an issue with Ebay .............any help?

thank you!!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@downsizing2018 

The image orientation is just a flag and that flag is stripped during upload to eBay. So, you will need to physically rotate your photo (not just the flags) prior to upload to eBay. When transferring from camera to computer, the flag is usually intact. How do you "rotate it to the proper orientation" on your computer? Do you use an image processor, or do you just click the thumbnail and rotate left or right? The rotation of the thumbnail may simply reset the flag on some computers and not touch the image at all.

And "rotates twice" may mean that your camera was pointed straight down, and just a little too far, so that the camera thought you were standing on your head;  thus the image would display upside down, requiring you to rotate twice to display it correctly.

What browser are you using to upload to eBay directly? Have you attempted to rotate your vertical photos all the way around to vertical again in the browser during the direct upload? eBay uses the browser "canvas" tool for user edits, and that should rewrite the pixels (not just the flag) to the correct orientation.

Turbo Lister will also preprocess an image (downsize to 1600 pixels and apply user crop and contrast adjustments ) prior to upload.  So you should be able to rotate all the way around in Turbo Lister prior to upload.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

New computer running windows 10 and Internet explorer.  I connect the camera to the computer, transfer a hundred or so pictures, then go into the file where they are stored and rotate all the photos that need to be, that I took vertical.  Some I do individually, some I do 5 - 6 or a dozen at a time. Yes I only click "left or right rotation", not a full on edit, save routine, if you know what I mean. I take the pictures the way I always have, with the same camera I always used, never had issue until new computer?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@downsizing2018 

The file manager on the new computer is not treating the photos the same as the old computer. In WinXP through Win8, for example, you could rotate the thumbnail and the actual photo would be rotated. Not so in Win10, which just rotates the flag and then displays the thumbnail according to the flag.  I was trying to research Win10 on the Microsoft website and it appears this image rotation problem has been a real thorn for Win10 users for the past four years.

You may need to use some sort of image editor to bulk rotate. I would expect Win10 might come with some image tools.

I found this page that has a detailed explanation of how to expose and sort your photos by the rotation flag. They also offer an image rotation program, but they do not explain if it comes what a payload, like adware, so I can not recommend the software.

https://www.ivertech.com/Articles/Image-Rotation-Issue-With-Windows-10.aspx

I personally use free Irfanview.com software for batch processing, as it has been very popular with eBay users for a well over a decade. The last time I installed an updated version was about 6 years ago, and I just installed the basic program without the addons.

On the 13th page of the Microsoft forum on this topic, I found this comment from a year ago about restoring the missing Windows Photo Viewer that solved the problem:

I just found this site. I downloaded it, rotated my photos and transported them into my eBay site perfectly. Thank God someone is smarter than Microsoft. http://download.cnet.com/Restore-Windows-Photo-Viewer/3000-18488_4-77362441.html

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

so very cool, thank you!!
all suggestions will be considered and I will have proper pix - FINALLY, Thanx again!
Message 8 of 8
latest reply