cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the Group? Introduce yourself Here

Are you new to the group and don't know where to start? How about here, tell us a little about yourself, what you sell, how long you have been selling and anything you would like to add. :) Paula --
Paula Jean's Jewelry and Closet -- Edited by ds_gifts at 06/01/2009 1:31 PM PDT -- Edited by dsbooksnmore at 03/08/2011 10:49 AM PST
Message 1 of 400
latest reply
399 REPLIES 399

Re: New to the Group? Introduce yourself Here

fuzzibear01
Enthusiast
HELP! I've not sold anything on eBay, but I'm contemplating trying the new eBay promotion for sellers, where you pay no fee for aution-only items and can sell up to 100 items a month through December. I know this is a dumb question, but how do I get the sales tax to the state (California)? If I only accept PayPal payments, does PayPal send the sales tax revenue to the state? I am going to be selling only my book, so I don't anticipate many sales.
Message 346 of 400
latest reply

ds_gifts
Enthusiast
Hello fuzzibear. Welcome to the group! There is no dumb question. 🙂 And we love questions here. I did a search and came up with this site. http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/pam71.htm It should help you locate your city and county sales and use tax which would be added to your state tax. I think I read that your state tax was 8.25% so just add your city and county tax to that and then you will have what needs to be charged to California customers. I did notice that there is updated information as of Oct. 1, 2010 so be sure to click on that link to get the latest information. It's right at the top of the page. If you have any other concerns feel free to voice them here. That's what we are here for. D --  dsbooksnmore ~ educational, books, CDs, toys, homeschool

Books are Fun Entertaining Educational and well...
Just Plain Good For The Mind And Soul.
Give One Today.

Message 347 of 400
latest reply

Hi, fuzzibear! Welcome aboard! Yes, by all means, try out that 100 free listings promo. You've got nothing to lose. I'm taking advantage of that promo right now and it's saving me money on all the insertion fees. Here in Utah, I had to apply for a sales tax license with the State and get a sales tax number. Then every tax season, the State sends me a form asking me to send them any tax due. So, if I've sold to any Utah residents OR bought any craft or business supplies that I haven't paid sales tax on, I have to send them that money, which for me, it's never very much. Also, if you ever decide to sell other items and go to buy wholesale, a lot of wholesalers will ask for your state sales tax ID before they'll set up an account for you. I don't know if you'd have to file for a sales tax license in California when you're just selling your own book. But you might want to check it out with the Franchise Tax Board. Good luck! :-) Mish --
Message 348 of 400
latest reply

flotime2
Enthusiast
> > > > Are you new to the group and don't know where to > start? > How about here, tell us a little about yourself, what > you sell, how long you have been selling and anything > you would like to add. > > :) > Paula > > -- > > > >
> > Paula Jean's Jewelry and Closet > > -- > Edited by ds_gifts at 06/01/2009 1:31 PM PDT
Message 350 of 400
latest reply

Hello, Reading some of your threads. Ive been working on ebay since around 1999. Ebay and other venues are how I make my living now. Glad to make every ones acquaintance. dc -- Photobucket
Message 351 of 400
latest reply

Hi DC!

--

~Deja Deb~

Message 352 of 400
latest reply

ds_gifts
Enthusiast
Hello flotime and DC! Welcome to our group. Let us know if we can be of any help. Glad you have joined us. D --  dsbooksnmore ~ educational, books, CDs, toys, homeschool

Give One Today.

Message 353 of 400
latest reply

capriness
Enthusiast
Hi. My name's Teri and I was recently fired (for having cancer?) and am looking to eBay to be a source of income to supplement unemployment. But so far, my fees are outweighing my sales and I can't afford to lose even a dollar. I'm hoping this group will help give me some tips on listings so I start make money instead of losing it. Thanks! Teri
Message 354 of 400
latest reply

Hi Teri!

--

~Deja Deb~

Message 355 of 400
latest reply

ds_gifts
Enthusiast
Hi Teri. Welcome to the group! :) When selling on eBay there are a few things you can do to help your sales. 1) Feedback - I noticed that you only have a 4 in feedback. This can be a deterrent to some buyers. If at all possible try to purchase some inexpensive items to help bring your FB score up as quickly as possible. 2) Keywords - When creating your listing it is important to use the best search words possible for both your listing title and in your description. Load them up with good search words. This is how people will find your listing. Before I begin a listing I always ask myself "what words would I use to search for this item?" 3) Appearance - Your listing needs to be simple and attractive. It is important to have nice clear photos of your item. I dropped by one of your listings and the picture was good and the listing was simple, easy to read and to the point. You probably could have used a few additional keywords, but over it was nicely done. :) 4) Advertising - There are many ways you can advertise your items for free. a- We have a advertising thread here in this group so that you can show off your items to us. b- We also have another thread that lists several bump sites that you can visit and post your items there. You will probably have a few questions as to how to work the bump sites if you are not familiar with them, but that is what we are here for. You can visit the thread "Free Bump Advertising ~ It Works!!!" here; http://groups.ebay.com/topic/Ebay-Selling-Tips/Bump-Places/Free-Bump-Advertising/1600872892?start=70... Visit a few of these to get yourself familiar with them and be sure to ask questions when you need to. :) c- You can also use Twitter and FaceBook to promote your items and let others know what you have. There are many other suggestions and ideas but this is probably enough to start you out with. Please feel free to post any questions you have in the Need Help? thread. There are many experienced eBay sellers in this group that are happily willing to help. :) D --  dsbooksnmore ~ educational, books, CDs, toys, homeschool

Give One Today.

Message 356 of 400
latest reply

Hi Teri, Im also new on this group. If you dont mind I can offer some suggestions too. In the one item you sold the photo is ok. It is clear but the angle you shot it at is not very good. Try to correct that in your next photo. Tough thing about selling on ebay is that we all have to be photographers. I still struggle with it myself. I generally dont use a flash but let the camera correct for the light. Also when taking close up shots remember to use the macro setting on your camera. Then use a tripod to get a perfectly clear photo. Photos Sell. Your wordage is good. Buyers would probably already know about the cosmetic so extra description is maybe not necessary. The hardest part of making money here is finding a ready supply of items. I cherry picked garage sales when I started and did just ok. Later I found some new items that are easily replaced and that is what I push now. As for the cancer, we went through it two years back. Money was tight, and still is. We will be making payments to MD Anderson for many years to come. Im thinking that selling on ebay will be slightly easier after the removal of duplicated listings. One of a kinds will stand out a little better when shopping. good luck and ask if you need whatever. dc -- Photobucket
Message 357 of 400
latest reply

ds_gifts
Enthusiast
;-) --  dsbooksnmore ~ educational, books, CDs, toys, homeschool

Give One Today.

Message 358 of 400
latest reply

Merry`Christmas`Everyone`I`Am`Fairly`New`Have`Not`Been Able`To`Sale`My`Products`As`I`Would`Like`Have`Had`Some Sales`But`It`Is`Just`Not`Kicking`Off`Need`All`The`Advice I`Can`Get!
Message 359 of 400
latest reply

Merry`Christmas`Everyone`I`Am`Fairly`New`Have`Not`Been Able`To`Sale`My`Products`As`I`Would`Like`Have`Had`Some Sales`But`It`Is`Just`Not`Kicking`Off`Need`All`The`Advice I`Can`Get!
Message 360 of 400
latest reply