cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Non-paying buyers leave feedback?

So I have been wondering about unpaid item cases. After the case closes, I still have the notification reminder to leave feedback for the buyer. I usually say something like, buyer did not pay. My question is: can the buyer still leave feedback after the unpaid item case is closed? Thanks,
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Can Non-paying buyers leave feedback?

Yes, they can.  However, you can have eBay remove it per Unpaid Item policy:

For transactions involving an unpaid item, Feedback left by a buyer may be removed when:

• The buyer didn't pay or respond to the unpaid item case.

• The buyer is suspended.

• The buyer's communication in the Resolution Center undermines the purpose of the unpaid item process and the eBay Feedback system.

In your feedback to the buyer, to quote your statement here:  "I usually say something like, the buyer did not pay."  Are you aware that any buyer for whom you leave a FB like this can report it and have it removed? Buyers cannot be given negative or neutral feedback per eBay rules. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

So what am I supposed to say? Great buyer even thought they never gave me any money? If I don't say something I have to look at those notifications forever. What do you usually do?
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

OK, I am just quoting eBay rules, thought I'd warn you before something unfortunate happens, like eBay sanctioning you for those feedbacks.

Since you cannot leave positive FB, and it obviously was NOT a positive experience, how about leaving none at all?  

The message about leaving feedback ages off after, I think, 30 days.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Leaving feedback that says the buyer didn't pay does not accomplish anything good because other sellers cannot see the buyer's ID and it could very well get you in trouble with ebay for giving a positive feedback with a negative remark. I would not leave any feedback for such buyers. I think that if you have opened a case against them for non-payment and it is closed without the buyer paying then the buyer is not allowed to leave any feedback. Opening a case and closing it like that hurts them more than the negative remark because of the strike they get against them. Most sellers have their settings set so that with 2 unpaid item strikes within 12 months the buyer is prevented from buying from them.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It's my understanding that neither party can leave any feedback.

You could think of it as being because after the Dispute, the transaction is deemed to have never happened.

More to the point are the remarks about buyer anonymity. The childhood rhyme about rubber and glue comes to mind.

Further, negative feedback for buyers would be useless. Like most sellers, I don't list auctions. I don't see my buyers' feedback until they buy. Too late to do anything.

You walk away from winning a UID with your item and your fees.

The buyer has a Strike against him which makes it harder for him to bid and buy on eBay in future.

You won. Be gracious.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I always leave feedback as soon as I receive payment. If a customer does not pay I just don't leave feedback . Your going to get customers that don't pay it is just part of doing business. 

I'm at a point where I don't really care if a customer leaves feedback. No news is usually good news. There is really a small percentage of customers who leave feedback, If every customer of mine left feedback i would have a score of over 4000.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I believe they can. I leave a feedback if they didn't communicate or pay. Seems silly to leave the negative truth under a positive feedback choice, but there's no other option. It's total bull u know what...
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

They can not
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

NO YOUR NON-PAYING BUYER CANNOT LEAVE FEEDBACK IF YOU FILE AND WIN THE NON-PAYING BIDDER DISPUTE.

And yes, I know I was yelling.

File the dang Dispute! if you don't whatever feedback you leave, is useless, since it will show as positive.

Most sellers can't see the feedback of buyers because most sellers use Fixed Price listings and not auctions.

If you file a dispute your buyer can't leave feedback (and again any feedback a seller leaves for a buyer is irrelevant).

AND

You are helping other sellers because the deadbeat gets a Strike. Most sellers have caught on that we can set our Seller Preferenced to Block automatically bidders with Non-Payment Strikes.

So we don't get have to deal with the problem.

With 'enough' Strikes, eBay kicks the member off the site.

ALSO- if you leave negative / false positive feedback, the deadbeat buyer can Report you to eBay and YOU GET THE VIOLATION.

Learn the system and use it.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the info everyone. I have won all my UPI cases, but I will just ignore my "Leave FB" notification on the App. I've been doing this for less than three months, so I'm still learning all this stuff. I had a really strang thing happen last week with a buyer, and it reminded me of back when I sold on Craigslist and I had to deal with scammers... My buyer was local, and wanted to meet up to cut out shipping. He was really wanting to do it "now". I was busy, so I told him I could meet later, and that we would still be using paypal. No Reply. Messaged him later (this is all through text, not ebay messages), and he gave me a long story about his son's asthma, and somehow that has changed his mind about buying the xbox 360. Does that sound fishy to anybody? As soon as I mentioned that I would be using paypal, he no longer had any interest in the item he bought. I haven't heard anything from him since. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

strange* (typo)

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Maybe your XBox guy was a scammer, maybe a flake, but you dodged a problem of your own making.

If a seller accepts Paypal, she has to be ready to accept refunds. With a face to face deal, there is no way the seller can prove to PP that the item changed hands.

Your 'customer' could have taken the Xbox, paid by PP, then claimed non-receipt and gotten his money back.

With any 'pickup' situation, always demand cash payment. After all, the buyer has a chance to inspect the product before paying.

And of course, it is best to use a public spot for the transaction, like a coffee shop.

Some people suggest the local police station, but the cops are not likely to approve of that, plus one place you are likely to run into a lot of criminals would be a police station. Starbucks? not so much.

Crime and politics, little girl. Situation is always... fluid.-- Badger

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Ok, thanks for letting me know about using cash for pickups. I figured I should always use paypal with ebay stuff, but yeah that definitely makes sense. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply