cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iomoon

Hi all,

Have any of you in the balcony (yes, you) kept up wth iomoon?  I wrote a few times and didn't hear back except once, when his daughter got married . Do you know of any recent developments regarding his health?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: iomoon

Sadly, I just got a FB notification from his sister saying that Io died yesterday. No other information as yet. I know he that had a bout with cancer a few years ago, so that may have been it.

He will be missed.

Anne in NJ
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Sad news, indeed....

Here's a tribute from his daughter Amy, who is expecting a baby girl.

Those who know me know I often speak about my mother and the closeness that we share, showcasing her in my social media stories "Sunday's with Seta". Some of you are even fortunate to be part of her daily gif send of prayers, blessings & angels to your FB messenger. However, there is another person that was responsible for the creation of me that I wanted to share a little about, Professor James Whitford-stark.

My father was truly the most interesting man in the world. He came to the US from England in 1976 to attend Brown University on a full scholarship to obtain his Ph.D. specializing in Lunar Mare (I had to Google this - it means volcanos or craters on the moon). This took him to a stint at a small firm called N.A.S.A. Talk about an accomplishment that's 'out of this world.' It was there that he began his lustrous career traveling the world to study Volcanism, writing multiple publications such as "Stratigraphy of Oceanus Procellarum basalts - Sources and styles of emplacement" and ultimately landing his dream job as a field professor of Geology at Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas. In addition to West Texas, he had conducted field work in Aruba, Belgium, Canada, Canary Islands, Curacao, Dominica, France, Iceland, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, United Kingdom and China.

He went on to write thousands upon thousands of publications on his research, books with titles that I cannot pronounce, teach 3 generations of students, marry the love of his life Seta Whitford-stark, take his 6-year old daughter to places like Mount. St. Helen's and China and develop an infatuation with the American cowboy, named John Wayne. Stetson hats, bolo ties, and boots were the main fashion items, my British dad procured.

Diamond Jim was also an avid collector of stamps, at one point becoming the lead philatelist on eBay.com. To date, he had collected over 10,000 different stamps worth thousands of dollars. In one of our final conversations, he expressly wished to pass down this prized collection to his unborn grandchild.

Most of all, he was a man of few words but those he spoke were profound. Ref: his speech at my wedding. His sarcastic, sharp tongue and unmatched wit are what I will miss most. For years, I felt confused because my dad wasn't "typical." He never took me to sporting games & never talked to me about boys but he did teach me about music and strengthened my love for bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd & David Bowie.

It's not often you meet a certified genius, but I was lucky enough to have one as a dad. I'm sharing this with you all because I cannot let his legacy be forgotten. God, how I wish he could have met his 1st grandchild. My hope is that he is enjoying a perfectly room-temp Gin & Tonic in heaven and beaming down with pride at my meager attempt to sound half as smart as he was. Until we meet again xx

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

At the next meeting, on 20-22 December, we will share memories  or Iomoon . The main topic will be " What are you up to now? Current collecting interests" , as suggested by rfaux.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Sorry to hear Iomoon (aka Ioloonie) has passed away.
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Sad day for philately,

David B.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Ebay ex prez iomoon,

in a style hardly ever jejeune

from his perch west of Plano

showed us stamps with volcanos,

has gone and left us too soon

R.I.P.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Iomoon…

He enjoyed taking students on field trips, particularly to Big Bend in Texas, where multiple geological strata lay exposed by the Rio Grande. But he also despaired of students who never bothered to do any work, even do the textbook reading.  He was passionate about the Earth’s geologic history, and it was frustrating when he was not to be able to pass this enthusiasm on.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Very sorry to see this.  And it's hard to believe that the various boards go back 20 years at this point.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Oh, that's more than a loss.

I'm not much into stamps anymore but whenever they crossed my mind I automatically thought of Iomoon.

We had a common interest beyond stamps.

I'm a former Earth Science teacher and thus have more than a passing interest in geology/geomorphology.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

What a great shame. Very sad. I always enjoyed his posts, which had such an engaging bite, but you knew that behind that sharp edge was a clever, knowledgeable and humane person, deeply devoted to his vocation of teaching. And a fine philatelist!

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I can remember Jim's comments even after all these years since eBay Chat shut down. Intelligent posts had me Googling IO, extraterrestial volcanoes, etc, etc. I believe I also took his geology test and though I didn't "ace" it, certainly would have passed. I can't imagine how much more I would have learned attending lectures by Professor James Whitford-Stark.

He will be missed.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

James Whitford-Stark

R.I.P. my friend. I wish we had more time to "do stamps" ....
Richard Frajola
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I recall that when the ebay board was still 'live' and I was in the middle of working on my PhD, Jim told me simply - "You'll be done as soon as you know you're done."

He was, of course, right.  I got to a point with my studies where I realized I knew enough to complete the process - and I did.  Jim was a joy to anyone that liked to learn.

Rob

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Iomoon's service arrangements can be found on this link:

sinatraffh.com

Service, visitation and interment information for James Whitford-Stark.

Mass:

10:00 am Tuesday, December 4, 2018
St. John the Baptist Church
670 Yonkers Avenue
Yonkers, New York, United States

Message 15 of 19
latest reply