cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting Nov 11-13 “World War I, The Great War, 1914 -1919”

*** eBay Users’ Stamp Club ***

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting on “World War I, The Great War, 1914 -1919” from any time Friday November 11 till midnight PDT on Sunday November 13.

World War I, The Great War, 1914 -1919

[Background:

World War I was initially precipitated by the assassination of Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand by a Serbian nationalist in Sarajevo on 28 June 1914. However, other changes in the preceding years were contributing factors.

The Central Powers included Germany Austria-Hungary, Turkey and Bulgaria.

The Allies included France, Great Britain, Russia, Italy (after a period of neutrality), Japan, United States, Romania, Serbia, Belgium, Greece, Portugal and Montenegro.

The war ended on November 11, 1918.  Bulgaria, Turkey and Austria-Hungary had already surrendered and signed armistices, and on this date Germany signed an armistice and fighting stopped.

November 11 was known as Armistice Day for many years, and is now called Veterans Day in the USA (honors all vets living and dead) and Remembrance Day in Australia and Britain (commemorates war dead).]

Show us some of your philatelic items or ephemera related to World War I. If you are stuck for ideas, here are a few:

• Stamps showing the Archduke and his wife.
  • Letters from those who served or their families mentioning the war.
  • Items that illustrate events of the time (newspaper headlines, magazines)
  • Examples of life at home while other family members were fighting in the war.
  • War savings bond stamps
  • Stamps commemorating WWI
  • Military post and censored mail
  • Items relating to territory lost or gained by various countries after WWI

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Anne will show items from her German Occupation of Luxembourg postmark collection.
  • I will be putting up a display of letters written from US soldiers about to go to France. Some came home. Some didn’t.
  • Balcony nibblies will be hard tack and Anzac biscuits.
  • Maps showing countries before and after the wear will be available in the workshop area as will kiloware of old stamps. The challenge will be to find stamps from each country or region that is appropriate for the time frames.

See you there!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014-15 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in OR) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting Nov 11-13 “World War I, The Great War, 1914 -1919”

POW card from Yozgat in Turkey to India. 1918 sent to my Grandfather in India who was in the Indfian Army Reserve.

POW.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

From Fanning Island deep in the Pacific where there was a cable station protected by NZ troops. It saw action at the start of WW1 -Fanning was formally annexed to Great Britain by Captain William Wiseman of HMS Caroline on March 15, 1888. A deep opening was blasted, thereafter called the English Channel, on the west side of the atoll. Tabuaeran hosted a station on the Trans-Pacific Cable between Canada and Australia, a part of the All Red Line, beginning in 1902. Fanning Island Post Office opened on 29 November 1902.[3] In September 1914 (World War I), the cable station was shelled by a German cruiser, the Nürnberg, and was slightly damaged. A landing force went ashore to complete the destruction. In 1939 the atoll was incorporated into the British colony of the Gilbert and Ellice Islands. In 1979, it gained independence, becoming part of the Republic of Kiribati (pronounced kee-ree-bahs).
Fanning-Island.jpg

Cheers
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

1916 Letter from Ascension to the Army and Navy Stores in London, I wonder what was being bought? Cancel is type Z2

Ascension.jpg

Cheers
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

The Bethania was a Hamburg American Line ship that was captured by the H.M.S. Essex on September 10, 1914 and taken to Port Royal, Jamaica.  The (rather tatty) cover below dated Sep. 14, 1914 is from a Bethania ship prisoner to Thuringen, Germany.  The cover is endorsed "Prisoner of War / Free" and bears a violet handstamp of the Senior Officer of the Royal Navy at Port Royal who acted in his capacity as a military censor.  The red P.C. handstamp is a U.K. censorship marking applied in transit to Germany.  

POW Bethania.jpg

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Great War censored mail from some of the minor islands of the West Indies is not easy to find.  Here is a censored cover from Dominica to Switzerland postmarked July 21, 1918.  On the reverse above the "Opened by Censor" tape is a manuscript "Passed Censor" along with the censor's initials and date of July 19, 1918 or two days before the postmark, indicating that censorship took place in Dominica.

Censored Swiss.jpg

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Wow, some nifty stuff so far... I was sure I had some WWI covers to show, but looks like there's no chance I'm going to find them. Here is a page from my Belgium collection showing two very problematic sets issued just before being overrun. There were many fewer of these two sets released into the wild than normal due to the Germans invading. One story has the local baker hiding the oaper used for the Albert issue in one of his ovens to keep it from the invaders. After the war there were many, many forgeries printed to provide material for collectors. It's estimated that less than 1% of the Alberts are genuine, and my experiences in trying to fill my collection bears that out. The Merode Monuments are somewhat easier, I see probably 10% good and 90% bad.

belgium-page015

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Thanks, all, for posting such interesting material. You reminded me that I had had a POW cover, so here it is:

Great Britain, from Leigh, Lancashire to Gebr Alexander, Maintz, which was a brass musical instrument workshop. The sender identified himself as a French horn player on the back.

gbcv-pow_a_424.jpggbcv-pow_b_425.jpg

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

As promised, some letters from soldiers.

The US entered the war in 1917 (April 6), and helped out with supplies, raw material and money. Those who enlisted were mainly used in the Western Front campaign.

#1, Oct 2 1917 Arthur at Green Camp, North Carolina, waiting to go to France

1917 Oct 2 Arthur.jpg

Salient points:

We are going to leave for Europe in about five weeks and I certainly would like to see you all before I go but it is out of the question.

1917 Oct 3 Arthur cover  _001_med.jpg

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

From Wikipedia: "American soldiers under General John J. Pershing, commander of the American Expeditionary Force (AEF), arrived in large numbers on the Western Front in the summer of 1918."

#2 May 28 1918 Dick in France

1915 May 28 Dick W Heller all_med.jpg

Salient points:

I didn’t like it at first but I have changed my mind since I have seen how everything is over here in spite of the hardships. But the Canadians are sure a brave lot of soldiers and they sure get credit for it, and say wait till Uncle Sam gets started. Fritzie will run. I have been in the trenches 3 or 4 times and I sure was scared when I made my first trip but I got over it before we came out.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

#3 Sep 6, 1981 Arthur in France

This is p4 of a 6-page letter, where Arthur speaks his mind (scroll on if you may be offended).

1918 Sep 6 Arthur p004 med.jpg

I haven’t written Dick as yet as you didn’t give me his address complete enough to write a letter to him. The chances of find him over here are very slim because the A.E.F. is scattered all over France and the different divisions almost constantly on the move from one place to another.

Dick may have gotten over all fear of danger but different here, the more one gets of experience at the front the worse one dreads it. Not so much the danger of shot and shell but nervous strain and the infernally cold damp weather. I don’t wish the Germans any harm but I hope they all die before Xmas. And I am going to do all in my power to bring about their deaths. I often wonder what the Allied governments are going to do to the Kaiser when they get him. I’ll enjoy that immensely but the Kaiser wouldn’t.

Sadly Dick was killed in action in August, and his commanding officer (who signed his letter) was wounded in late July.

Arthur lived through the war, and for many years afterwards.

On a positive note, Arthur had this to say about his chaplain:

our chaplain is a friendly man who helps the boys in much better ways than to preaching long sermons to them. When the regiment is in a battle he is out up the front day and night helping the stretcher bearers and ministering to the wounded and doing good in every way possible and getting more love and respect from his regiment than many chaplains get I imagine.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

From Wikipedia: During the war, the U.S mobilized over 4 million military personnel and suffered 110,000 deaths, including 43,000 due to the influenza pandemic.

One letter I have from 1918 mentions that children were not allowed to go to school until they d been vaccinated.

--------------------------

Fighting ended on 11 November 1918, when Germany signed an armistice.

Later on, territory was redistributed and new countries emerged. Czechoslovakia became a country on Novenber 14. Much of it (if not all, I don't know the exact division) was formerly part of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

Here is a postmark of the town Chrast, which is in Bohemia. At this time (1897) it was part of Austria, but it is now part of the Czech Republic.

Chrast bei Chrudim / Chrast u ChrudimiChrast bei Chrudim / Chrast u Chrudimi

Here's another postmark: Reichenau an der Knezna, also in Bohemia.

Reichenau an der Knezna (Rychnov nad Kněžnou)Reichenau an der Knezna (Rychnov nad Kněžnou)

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

The difficulty in finding people at the beginning of WWI. From my razor cancel exhibit.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

That's the first time I've posted on the new board and I don't get how to format the image larger. Any ideas?

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

From Paris 1915 to International Red Cross [Tracing Committee] in Geneva. 50 centimes postage due applied then refused by the Red Cross.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply