cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting May 15-17: “Stamp Shows and Bourses”

*** eBay Users' Stamp Club ***

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting on Stamp Shows and Bourses from any time on Friday May 15 till midnight PST on Sunday May 17.

Stamp Shows and Bourses 

• Do you go to them?
  • What do you look at in the exhibits?
  • What do you look for at the dealers’ tables?
  • Which meetings do you attend?
  • Do you go to the awards dinner?
  • What else do you do at / get out of stamp shows?
  • Show us some nice pieces you picked up at a stamp show.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anne will be displaying her fabulous Egypt collection in the balcony.
I will be showing pages of any collection that I have bought for under $20.
I will be setting up a booth with nickel boxes, dime boxes and dollar boxes (for the bigger spender).
Coffee and packets of chips will be provided for anyone setting up their own sales booth in the balcony.

See you there!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in OR) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting May 15-17: “Stamp Shows and Bourses”

It's raining outside, so I get to join the meeting ever so briefly.

I get to go to larger stamp shows about once a year.  But, the smaller stamp bourses are few and far between where I live.  However, I used to actually hold a table at some of the small bourses in Iowa and southern Minnesota.  Never made too terribly much - especially compared to the coin guys who were at some of the same shows.

I did have a person come to me and offer this item for sale.  At the time, I lived just West of Decorah, Iowa.  And, my focus has been (for quite some time) on the 1861 US issue.  Probably paid too much for it - and yet - I didn't because I still like it and I've since forgotten what I paid for it.  (yes I could look it up).

img383.jpgimg384.jpgimg385.jpg

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

To show that I am a good participant:

What do you look at in exhibits?

I have to admit that I will first look at any exhibit that falls in the period of use that I am most familiar with (1861-1868).  US focus first then worldwide.  The exception is if I personally know an exhibitor, then I tend to look at those earlier.  And, of course, I look at my own exhibit if I am showing so I can see how it works in the frames.

I will also admit that I tend to pass by first day cover exhibits, despite understanding that there is some real work in any exhibit.  I find I don't understand enough of some exhibits to last for long, but that's probably true for everyone.  My goal is to take away some new piece of knowledge from each exhibit I view.  Usually about 60-70% of them.

What do you look for at the dealers' tables?

I will ask about 24cent 1861 postal history, but most will not carry that.  So, I'll look for anything postal history related that isn't too expensive that I find interesting.  Like the 'fireworks cover' I showed last meeting.

What meetings do you attend?

I get to so few shows that I often have trouble remembering to get to meetings.  Though I have been pretty good about attending AAPE (philatelic exhibitors) open forums and will normally be around when the US Classics Society meets.  I'm not sure I've got a pattern though.

Do you go to the awards dinner?

Sorry, no.  First, I usually have a limited budget to work with and Tammy and I can usually find a dinner for much less.  That adds $ to bourse budget - or at least it doesn't subtract them.  There are other reasons, of course.  maybe some other time.

What else do you do at/ get out of stamp shows?

When I used to hold tables at the small bourses, there was a always a set of people I could look forward to seeing.  Now, since I don't go any one place regularly, I might still have a chance to meet some people I've met via electronic means and in some cases I see people I've met before.  I am not inherently outgoing, so I get better as a show goes on and my comfort level increases.

In the end, it's a chance to spend time and devote it to the hobby with no chores to do in thirty minutes - such as is the case right now.

Have a great meeting.

Rob

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Stamp Shows and Bourses 

• Do you go to them?

You bet, but almost always only to the local shows. I made Sacramento in 2012 due to a windfall in cash, but almost always I'm limited by the choice "Buy Stamps or Buy Hotel Room"

When possible, I really enjoy reading the exhibits, but am almost always too busy to see them during show hours

• What do you look for at thedealers’ tables?

Depends on what I'm collecting at the time. This year it was Norway, last year it was Portuguese Colonies, in between I did Denmark, working from a collection I bought at last years show. [I bought Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Spain this year]

Almost never... No time

Always, even when not exhibiting.

I try always to run or volunteer at the 'stamps in your attic' type booth. I really enjoy the process of telling someone what they have, especially when I see them 'getting it'...

Finished up this page, as well as many more from the album.

• norway-page001-full.jpg 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thanks, Rob and billsey, for your posts on stamp shows. I will add some of my experiences. Please feel free to add yours.

• Do you go to them?

I realized some time after I first exhibited that I loved going to stamp shows. And I would always go to the biennial Canberra show since I first became aware of it, before I was a club member even.

After my first exhibit at Canberra 2000, I learned the trick of planning vacations around stamp shows. There had to be something in it for the family too, though, back then.

And so I attended New Zealand’s CANPEX 2000 (Olympic escape holiday), Melbourne 2002 (family holiday and catch up with spouse’s childhood friends), Canberra 2004 (possession cleanout), Pacific Explorer 2005 (en route to USA), Sydney Stamp Show 2007 (visit to Oz with hubby), and COALPEX 2008 (vacation in Bay Area).

These days, I am spoilt with having PIPEX here in Portland every year, and even the NTSS show coming here in July/August.

I look at how the items are mounted and arranged, title pages, friends’ exhibits, my own if anyone wants me to walk through it with them, fun exhibits, those in the Court of Honor, those that interest me. Never enough time to see them properly.

In Australia it was big ticket items or the “yellow dot” covers from the British dealers. I would make notes on what they had all brought, and generally could pick up one or more covers that would fill holes in my exhibit.

Here there just aren’t any items like that (APS Stampshow 2007 was an exception), so I have adapted by looking for minor shade or overprint varieties, and filling holed in my more modern collection.

I always attend the exhibitors (NAPE or AAPE) meeting, and the judges’ feedback forum, even when not exhibiting. Also, any meetings of clubs of which I am a member. I even attended an eUSC meeting at Melbourne ’02!

Yes. The one time I didn’t (PE05) I really regretted it.

Getting to meet other New Hebrides collectors, meeting and getting to know those who have traveled from elsewhere, including eUSC members. The easiest way to do this is to volunteer for set-up and pull-down.

CANPEX 2000 – a jewel of a cover was available, NSW postal agency 1899 cover to Canada.

1899.sep6.NSW.Morrison.front.crop.jpg

Bourse at Santa Clara on our way back from Oz in 2007, this cover was a steal and I paid for it at once before the dealer could change his mind. 1908 French provisional on cover sent to a paleographer and archivist in France.

1909.11apr.Dufourmantelle.Fr.PtSW.front.small.jpg

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I think I've only been to one stamp show as an adult.  They don't tend to have them in the area where I live.  They are commonly situated in a hotel on Century Blvd leading to the airport, in an area of hotels, industrial parks and, beyond that, very disreputable neighborhoods.  Who knows why they pick that locale?  Perhaps because LAX is (more or less) centrally located in the West Los Angeles area, although not really.  What with airport traffic and complete lack of scenery or points of interest I can't think of a worse place for a stamp show.

Anyway, the one I visited perhaps 15 years ago now was attended by one other person besides myself.  There was a multi-frame exhibit there, and being unused to way the supports for the frames stick out at a diagonal into the walking area I banged into them several times.  I don't even remember what the show was about...I gave up my perusal after getting the tenth ugly stare from the bourse sellers as my clumsy stumbles echoed around the room.

I sat down with one seller who had a box of "cheapies" as he called them.  All modern stuff, postcards and the like.  I told the seller that I was looking for "October 5" items, and to my surprise ran across one I didn't have, from 1982.  I told the seller how delighted I was to find it--whereupon the price of a 25-cent item went immediately up to $2.  Oh well.

Here's the item:

1982.jpg

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

My last one was AmeriStamp, at Riverside. The highlight was hanging out (for the first time) and making friends with members of the Young Friends of APS. Being a youngster, at least by the standards of the stamp collecting community, it can feel a bit lonely and intimidating at stamp shows. Now, I can look forward to having a few familiar faces when I go to shows in the future. 🙂

If you're interested in YFAPS, check their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/YFAPS

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thanks, guys, for your input. Sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed more stamp shows, jaywild. And glad your last stamp show was a positive experience, ipron. We did have a couple of young exhibitors at PIPEX.

THis year I decided to look for cheap covers that fit into one or more of my new cheap displays. And so I ended up with...

this Bermudua cover (A Bunch of Fives, Greetings to America by Letter, See the World from Cover to Cover)

5.Bermuda to USA.25jul.1974. front.small.jpg

this Spain cover (GtA, StW), and it is also a mourning cover, which was primarily why I bought it...

Spain to USA.censor.7dec.1942.front.small.jpg

this Netherlands cover (GTA, STW, slogan cancels, small covers, mourning cover)...

Netherlands to USA.mourning.slogan.front.small.jpg   Netherlands to USA.mourning.slogan.back.small.jpg

and this Denmark aerogram (GTA, STW) was free in the kids corner!

Denmark to USA.1977.front.small.jpg

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Stamp Shows and Bourses 

• Do you go to them? Yes I do when I can, Either in New York city or New Jersey as I live in Staten Island . Sometimes I even take a table as a dealer.
  • I have met Anne at NOJEX 

• What do you look at in the exhibits? Israel, Palestine, older issues

• What do you look for at the dealers’ tables? Small collections, scott specialty pages, first day covers related to Isarel, Plaestine,Judaica

• Which meetings do you attend? Not usually able to attend emeetings

• Do you go to the awards dinner? No

• What else do you do at / get out of stamp shows?  Meet with dealers I know,

• Show us some nice pieces you picked up at a stamp show.  I have picked up many nice items but they are mixed in with my Ebay purchases. I would have to find them and post hem.
  • David Snyder djs127@gmail.com Staten Island, new York
David Snyder
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Hmm...lots of questions here.

• Do you go to them?

Certainly.   Ohio is lucky to have 2 WSP shows (Garfield Perry and Colopex), plus a number of decent club shows and some bourse series.  I am a Garfield-Perry member so work on that show every year; I get to the bulk of local shows but then typically only one other WSP show a year.  I have never made it to an APS winter show but I go to the summer shows when they are within reasonable geographic reach.  Planning on going to Grand Rapids this summer.

Everything, though I focus on US material.  I am an experienced exhibitor so am always looking for something new and different, or for inspirations for my own exhibits.  [planning on putting my papers in to register as an apprentice judge soon]

Variable, but most of my exhibits focus on aspects of Ohio postal history.  For some of my exhibits it's very hard to find anything to add, but I have around a dozen different collections and am happy to just dig through dollar boxes.  I also have several basic country collections (working on Liechtenstein) that I can turn to when the going gets tough on exhibits.

If one of "my" societies where I am an officer or board member is at the show, I'll attend that.  I will once in a while attend a presentation if of interest; and frequently I'll go to the judge's critique.  If time permits, I will go to AAPE seminars.

If I am exhibiting and attending the show. 

Shows are a social experience.  It's a good chance to see friends, to talk stamps with other knowledgable people, and to, sometimes, meet additional people.  [I am looking forward to the Young Friends gathering at Grand Rapids].

Bigger/better purchases are more often than not through auctions or on eBay these days.....but I can always find something at a show.  One of my favorite Ohio covers was a show purchase, though - the town and "paid" marking are in phonography.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

It's good to see Matt posting here!

Since Garfield Perry is a show I have had the pleasure of attending a couple of times, I wondered if I had scans of a few items I've picked up there.

Here is one such item. Not terribly expensive (probably $5-$10) and philatelically note a big deal.  In fact, I seem to recall that there were several illustrated covers for this correspondence with the same design in more than one dealer stock at that show.

I picked this one because of the addendum on the enclosure:

"Dear Sir, At the last meeting you were elected one of the Directors of the Association."

Therefore reminding me that if I am a member of an association or some other group that I should attend the business meeting.  Especially if I do NOT want to be elected to something.

Best,

Rob

img337.jpgimg339.jpg

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I have always kind of enjoyed the Brazil Dom Pedro issue and have most of them in used condition.  But, since I prefer postal history..

I was able to find an inexpensive Dom Pedro on cover to England at Chicagopex one year.  And, just made this page this past Winter.  Adding any future Dom Pedro postal history is likely going to be more a matter of stumbling over a good deal than any actual pursuit, I am guessing.  But, it gives you an idea of what I am happy to look at and consider at shows.

BrazilPage.jpg

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I use to go to the single yearly show in Knsas City but it has been around 10 years since I have attended one.   With the exception of a very few dealers I never found much I needed that was priced reasonably.   Seems pretty pointless to sit down at the typical grumpy pld dealers table looking for things I need priced at retail, when I get can get most of what I need for 5-10% of catalog from online auctions.  

I would always make a point of checking out the exhibits finding maybe 30% that actually interested me.

About the only reason I would have attending one in the future is to touch bases with the old collector friends that are still among the living.

Hi to all the old friends here!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Thanks, all for your posts. Seems we all get something different out ofo stamp shows, but there is something for everyone.
I think there are collectors out there who would love to go to shows, but they are either too busy or they live too far from regularly held shows.

How many of you are going to New York 2016?

I will close the meeting now, but feel free to post if you have something to add to the meeting topic.

Next meeting willl be held on the weekend 19-21 June and the topic will be

How has your collecting changed over the years?

If you have any ideas for future topics, please email me or post them on this or the next meeting thread.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Twg major shows in the D.C. area each year Balpex in Hunt Valley and one at Tysons Corner in Virginia,

plus one in Fairfax at the Elk's Lodge three or four times a year. I go mostly for the auctions. Most of the

dealers at the bourse are selling at close to retail prices. Nice to see some of the exhibits, a lot of work

went into the displays.

Steve

Message 15 of 15
latest reply