cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting Mar 20-22: “Animal, Vegetable or Mineral (topical under a new name)”

*** eBay Users' Stamp Club ***

Please join us for our monthly meeting on Animal, Vegetable or Mineral (topical under a new name)from any time on Friday Mar 20 till midnight PST on Sunday Mar 22.

Animal, Vegetable or Mineral (topical under a new name)

• Tell us about what you collect that could be regarded as a topical.
  • Show us some of your items.
  • Have you ever given presentations or done displays on it, either philatelic or non-philatelic? Or both?
  • How did you become interested in this topic(al)?
  • Anything else you’d like to share with us?

-----------------------------------------------------

Anne will be decorating the balcony with an elephant theme in honor of Vic Horadam’s collecting interest, and I will be providing children’s toys on stamps for the play area.

Chocolate on stamps will feature in the dessert area.

Bring your dogs on stamps for a communal mingling and sniffing session.

A box of 1960s approval packets will be available for hunting through for those who until now have not indulged in collecting topicals.

Remember, National Topical Stamp Show 2015 is coming up at the end of July, in sunny Portland, Oregon! Accessible on the MAX light rail.

See you on this thread!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in OR) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting Mar 20-22: “Animal, Vegetable or Mineral (topical under a new name)”

Here I am, the guy who shows early to put up the party tent, drop off the vegetables for the snack tray and unlock the doors.

I guess I do a farm topical that reflects how we do things on our farm.  And, since there is a request for animals in the topic...

Enjoy,

Rob

chickenpage.jpg

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

For all of you who might be looking at the ugly chicken in the lower item on this page. Aultman-Taylor made threshing machines. The purpose of a threshing machine is to take the head/seed off of the stem, leaving the straw behind. The ugly, malnourished chicken hasn't had as much to eat because the Aultman-Taylor thresher is so good at not leaving any of the good stuff behind for the bird... Or, at least, that is the point they are trying to make.
Message 3 of 33
latest reply

And, here, we do raise chickens.  First week in April, we'll have some of these little ones around the farm.

Rob

henchickamericauna2.jpg

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Chickens did you say?

Here's a woodcut used as a return address template on an Oct 5 1879 cover I have. 

This design was used quite a bit in various parts of the country in the 19th Century, then redrawn (very poorly) again in the 20th Century and used by such illuminati as Stanley Ashbrook.

chicken.jpg

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

img368.jpg

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

And then, there are the smiling cows, horses and pigs.  None of which reside on our farm....

img351.jpg

But, we do have cats.

sandmanupclose.jpg

"Show me neat items from your collections! I, the Sandman, have spoken!"

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Oh, so it's CATS you want, eh?

ctz.jpg

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Animals on stamps:

Sorry to say that I could not fit this stamp in the "eUSC - Other Cinderellas" page of the eUSC NTSS 2015 exhibit. At least not so far. Any suggestions?

Timberwolf 44c small.jpg

I did put in the mule mail stamp though.

karlhh.mulemail.jpg

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

Never mind, I've worked out how to fit it in...  : )

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

Ha!  At least you have my invaluable (def: in=not + valuable=worth lotsa money) "Z-grill" identifier.  For those of you who need a bigger image hereya go...

z.jpg

Check all your Classic US stamps NOW, see iff'n ya got one.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

By the way, all the cats I showed were taken in wild from the streets as kittens, and since they were all young enough we were able to socialize them.  They do NOT like strangers however, and revert to complete wildness whenever there is a knock on the door or some noise they are unfamiliar with.  Gangway as they zoom from wherever they are into the bedroom and under the bed!

We do Trap-Neuter-Release in our yard, and over the past year have fixed over thirty feral cats.  We found homes for all the kittens, and even several of the adults (picture of two below).  Now at last we have a stable feral population of three cats we feed plus two cats whose owners allow them to roam. 

f+j.jpg

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

jaywild - I have fixed up the page to add in Timberwolf. It still needs work as I want to straighten up everything plus put a black border around the "usage." P10 also needs work on that score.

Rob - Your pages always look so elegant. BTW, I have now scheduled "book antiqua" for more than occasional use.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

Sheryll, thanks!

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

From sunny Denmark is here our she-cat Freja she rules!

Queen of our garden.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply