cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting 19-21 January "Exhibiting outside the box - ideas, tricks and tips"

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting on “Exhibiting outside the box - ideas, tricks and tips”.

We will also take time to remember Dan Jacobs (eBay id sneeky37), who passed away earlier this month.

And post a status update on billsey, who is recovering from his car accident last November.

Exhibiting outside the box - ideas, tricks and tips

*** Note that this also applies to how you prepare your own pages, be they album pages or more individualized pages, should you regard yourself as a non-exhibitor ***

• What is the latest trend in formatting an exhibit?
  • What makes an exhibit page look sharp (this one is particularly for Rob)
  • How did you get 5 out of 5 for presentation ( or 2 out of 5)?
  • What special awards have you won and why were they awarded to you.
  • If you weren't being judged competitively, what would your exhibit pages look like?
  • Plus all the conventional tricks and tips questions.

---------------

• Anne will show us her lovely Egyptian album pages.
  • I will be putting up various one-page exhibits that I have prepared for this year’s PIPEX club  exhibit.
  • The balcony will provide banana daquiris, banana bread, fried bananas and ice cream, and a pavlova covered with banana slices in memory of sneeky.
  • The workshop area will be set up with exhibit paraphernalia such as stamp mounts (both black and clear), corner mounts, a paper trimmer, scissors, glue dots, card stock, computers with Publisher installed and a printer which can print large pages.

See you there!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014-15 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in OR) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting 19-21 January "Exhibiting outside the box - ideas, tricks and tips"

Oh no—you say “in memory of sneeky” which suggests he is no longer with us.  Jake, I think his name was.  Very sad news; he had the most cheerful spirit.  Anyone had any contact with Mrs. Sneeky, a.k.a. ccmouse?

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

Sad news about Dan Jacobs, I hope ccmouse is doing OK...
Message 3 of 51
latest reply

I am doing okay. Thank you for remembering "Sneeky." He truly loved being a part of this group & treasured the ny friends he made here over his many years of membership. I am certain he is enjoying all the banana treats! 

Dan's Obituary:

https://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/obit/daniel-w.-jacobs

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

Sneeky was one in a million.  I have often thought about him since the old eBay chatboard was killed by eBay.  He liked to post this picture, of Snowflake the gorilla...

snowflake.jpg

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

1 in 2 million in my book. 

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

thanks for sharing the obit ccmouse. 

I do miss hearing from many of the fine people who were regulars on the chat board.

Sheryll, I'll try to post on the topic, but just got back from a farming conference and my mind is pretty much all farming right now.

Rob

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

Hi ccmouse, many thanks for posting and my condolences to you.

My first memory of sneeky was when I had put my New Hebrides Exhibit on your  "Stamp Talk" board. D2 saw it there when he put up a warnign message about the FLorida Forgers, and mentioned it  on the board. Sneeky was the first to respond, with some very positive words. And you too befriended me and made sure I got the charity auction eUSC cinderellas. 

I have made an exhibit out of them and also a website.

Sheryll

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

Exhibiting out of the box.

I was rewarded with 2 out of 5 for presentation of my Homestead Act exhibit

as the judges thought  the background was too distracting.SEAPEX2017_homestead_act_exhibit-critique_presentation.jpg

For my essays exhibit, I got a 5.

SEAPEX_Essays_exhibit_EEF_presentation.jpg

The essays won the AAPE Creativity award, and the Homestead Act won the WE Sterling Achievement award.

I  have taken on board the judges' feedback

SEAPEX_Essays_exhibit_EEF_presentation.jpgSEAPEX_Essays_exhibit_EEF_treatment.jpg

and reformatted the essays  exhibit, hopefully keeping the creative bits! This exhibit may yet get to WESTPEX.

Sheryll

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

Sheryll,

David here from a   very ******** hot Sydney,

Very sad to hear about Dan Jacobs, we visited him at his home in Cape Cod a few years ago and spent a very pleasant afternoon there.  He was a very interesting and extremely friendly person and the world will be worse off without him.

I don't want to get involved with discussions about Judge's deliberations or I might have to use expletives and start naming names about some who should not be allowed to have the honor to be judges as they use the privilege to act as dictators using their warped points of view.

My pet peeve at the moment is not about Judges but the rules especially regarding Traditional where the current rules use a " ONE SIZE FITS ALL " instead of realising that each area of exhibiting has different methodologies  on how it could be shown,

David B.

Message 10 of 51
latest reply

Hi all!

Sheryll - as always, thank you for the effort in coming up with club topics. 

some of the questions that I recall when I read the description included: What would you like your exhibit pages to look like if you could do them any way you wanted?

It might be a 'cop-out' answer.  But, I make my exhibit pages the way I want them to be.  As I've gotten feedback over time, I've made adjustments and changes.  If I get feedback that is contrary to my own personal goals, I decide not to do anything with that change.  Instead, I decide how I should communicate why I use what I do for a layout.

Have a made changes that I initially resisted?  Of course.  But, my main goals are to communicate and educate as I share things that interest me.  I have to realize that sometimes what seems clear to me doesn't communicate well to everyone else. 

I've come to really like the 4 position line header at the top of these pages.  I initially went with some standard centered headings, but I recovered so much useful space when I went to this style that I don't think I'll go back.

One thing that isn't easy to do with physical pages is shown here - I like the concept of overlapping to give depth.  I tend to stay away from it with my physically mounted pages, though I may see if I can manage it with this one.

Rob

fauxfarmpage12.jpg

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

Sheryll,

Looking at the comments for your exhibits.  Personally, I don't really care for the comment regarding a 'background' that should be in a museum exhibit and not in yours.  It's the wrong reason to criticize a background, in my opinion.

Good reasons could include:

- it obscures your material - as in I can't tell well your items end and the background begins.

- it makes your material look like something it is not (e.g. someone used black matting and everything looked like mourning covers, but was not)

- it makes your material look really ugly

- it is over crowded or too empty or imbalanced or...

But, to just say you can't be creative when exhibiting is, at its heart, a creative endeavor.  That's just wrong.  Maybe the trick here is to find a way to find a middle ground?

R

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

Sheryll,

I actually like the last set of feedback you showed.  There are some very practical points as to what they weren't sold on and some useful suggestions as to how it could be improved.  It doesn't mean you have to agree, but it gives you insight as to why they weren't impressed with it as they probably should have been - if you know what I mean. 

When I receive feedback like this, I surpress the initial 'upset' as quickly as possible.  Even if I don't fully agree with the basis for their observations, I need to see their point of view so I can find a way to make what I want to do work and be attractive. 

I am wondering what parts of that last bit you agreed with and which parts you ended up deciding wasn't where you wanted to go.

Rob

Message 13 of 51
latest reply

Here is a page from my 24 cent 1861 exhibit.

PrussiaRegisteredPage.jpg

I like to educate with my exhibits and I've been working to find a way to continue to do that while still being competitive within the bounds that judges work in APS shows.  While there are many exhibits I respect for their material and organization, etc - I also know that if I didn't already enter into reading it with some knowledge of the subject area, I would be lost as to the significance without some help to learn along the way.  In other words, I am trying to work two audiences:

1. any viewer who might like to see why I am showing what I am showing and learn a thing or two along the way

2. the judging corps who are tasked with helping me to make this exhibit do as well I it can from a competitive standpoint.

things I like about this page:

- The running headings at the top.  Saves me space to be creative below.  Greyed out topics indicate we're continuing a chapter or sub-chapter and black shows a new topic.

- The "under the line" material setup.  Stuff at the bottom of the page is there to add "color commentary" to the exhibit to educate and entertain.  By being "under the line" I indicate that it is not necessary to read it to follow the story line.

- Rate and Route boxes.  You can read one.  You can read the other.  You can read both.  Or you can ignore them.  At least you know what is going on there.  It illustrates a depth of knowledge and I use this format for all Rate/Route boxes.  consistency of format helps with learning.

- Clear tracings of important markings.  I have a tendency to over use this and I have been reducing it.  However, for an item like this, where you won't see another example of registration to Germany in the exhibit, it feels important to guide viewers to the things that told me this was worthy of showing.

- You can look at the cover and read the two short lines above it and get out if you want.  The rest doesn't overpower the cover even though there is a great deal there.  You still see the item as the focal point.

- I like the font size and balance and I think I managed to hit the line width sizes that work with classic material such as this. 

What I don't like about this page:

- I might not want to have two 'sidebar' or 'under the line' items on this page.  I like to cite the underlying postal regulations, etc when I can without making them overbearing.  But, frankly, I suspect people might enjoy the second heading "Who Got the Money?" a bit more. 

- I bounce back and forth between reporting what is exactly shown with a marking and interpretting the date for the audience.  (note the route box)  I think it would be better if I were consistent with the date in a format that supports quicker reading.  (Feb 6 instead of 2 6 for example)

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

Compromise and no compromise - all in one.

The page below shows how I like to incorporate maps.  I have been told, in the past, to use only line maps so they don't overshadow the piece I am exhibiting.  I get that.  But, I find I get more people to stop at my frames by including REAL map portions, fading them out a bit and including additional helpers to show what I need them to see.  The hardest part?  Getting the maps throughout the exhibit to have a level of consistency that makes them seem more like the 'helper' information that they are.  If the maps are inconsistent, they do seem to take away from the material.

Since making map changes throughout, I have received no negative comments from judges since.  I suspect there are still some that might not like them.  But, if I have pretty good knonwledge of geography and I still prefer a little help with locations, then I suspect the rest of the public might like some help too.... (and that includes judges - who are asked to look at all kinds of material - it's a kindness to give a helping hand)

IndiaviaBrindisipage.jpg

Message 15 of 51
latest reply