cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting 19-21 January "Exhibiting outside the box - ideas, tricks and tips"

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting on “Exhibiting outside the box - ideas, tricks and tips”.

We will also take time to remember Dan Jacobs (eBay id sneeky37), who passed away earlier this month.

And post a status update on billsey, who is recovering from his car accident last November.

Exhibiting outside the box - ideas, tricks and tips

*** Note that this also applies to how you prepare your own pages, be they album pages or more individualized pages, should you regard yourself as a non-exhibitor ***

• What is the latest trend in formatting an exhibit?
  • What makes an exhibit page look sharp (this one is particularly for Rob)
  • How did you get 5 out of 5 for presentation ( or 2 out of 5)?
  • What special awards have you won and why were they awarded to you.
  • If you weren't being judged competitively, what would your exhibit pages look like?
  • Plus all the conventional tricks and tips questions.

---------------

• Anne will show us her lovely Egyptian album pages.
  • I will be putting up various one-page exhibits that I have prepared for this year’s PIPEX club  exhibit.
  • The balcony will provide banana daquiris, banana bread, fried bananas and ice cream, and a pavlova covered with banana slices in memory of sneeky.
  • The workshop area will be set up with exhibit paraphernalia such as stamp mounts (both black and clear), corner mounts, a paper trimmer, scissors, glue dots, card stock, computers with Publisher installed and a printer which can print large pages.

See you there!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014-15 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in OR) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting 19-21 January "Exhibiting outside the box - ideas, tricks and tips"

Last one. 

There is one thing I do not do so much in competitive exhibiting.  But, once again, I have found other observers really enjoy how they look.

Competitive exhibits often are encouraged to abide by a 'reduce by 75%' rule for scanned contents or the reverse of an item.  I get that.  You want to be able to tell the difference between an image of an item and the real thing.  With scanner and printer technology, you can put out some pretty good looking images that are hard to differentiate when they are under plastic in a room that may or may not have good lighting. 

But, personally, I find enjoyment in being able to see more of the whole item.  Having a note that says, "contents include a prices current" does absolutely nothing for me.  But, if you can see some of what is there without having to take it off the page and open it up every time? 

so, I guess this is one thing I do for non-competitive pages.  I let myself have more freedom in showing this sort of thing.

I hope others have things to share and I didn't frighten you all away with lots of content!

Rob

Italylocalletter.jpg

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

R Faux,

You mention Italian Packet to Alexandria.  It would be more likely rail to Brindisi and shipping from there to Alexandria and Gibraltar is with an A not an E,

David B.

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

David B,

Arg!  You are correct.  This is what happens when you have legacy pages (so to speak).  I've known about the Gibralt"e"r error for some time now and it somehow snuck back in on this version.  Must have modified and loaded the old map file rather than the corrected one. 

Yes, rail to Brindisi.  But, I believe it was an Italian Packet line from Brindisi to Alexandria (shipping).

Rob

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

RFaux,

I think you will find it was a British Ship from Brindisi to Alexandria, 

David B.

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

Colin Tabeart's book states that P & O, S. S.  CEYLON left Southhampton on 16th. January, arriving Alexandria 1st. February,

David B.

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

David B,

Thank you.  Will check that out. 

I appreciate the extra pairs of eyes!

Rob

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

Hi all,

I've been enjoying the posts about exhibiting, even though I would have no idea how to put an exhibit together.  I admire anyone who does.  

But it I do want to express my sadness at Dan's loss.  Both he and Deb have had mixed health in the last few years.   May she find his memory a blessing.  I remember  both of the, from my early days on the old threaded board.  I learned so much from them and from everyone else there.  So many fond memories.

I don't know if this will load on eBay, but I'll try posting it anyway.  it's a song by the folk singer Mary McCaslin called "Old Friends." 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ktw4O227mTE

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

Anne, good to see you here. There is no one way to do exhibit pages. The Homestead Act exhibit is a good example. I did what I felt looked right for the message I wanted to get across, which was pretty much what a museum display would do. For it to get a silver medal, was amazing considering the lack of philatelic material in it, but it says something about getting your story right.

Rob, re what I would do if I was not entering my exhibit competitively, I would put in on at least one of the pages a personal message about the piece or the exhibit in general, possibly even a quiz question. I did this for one of the exhibits I prepared for the As You Like It non-competitive section at Canberra Stampshow 2002, on page 16. I wonder if anyone even saw it...

David, thanks for posting, for your comments re the latest judging rules, and the nice things that you said about sneeky.

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

Rob, thank you for your comments and sharing your exhibit pages.

I very much like the way you have formatted the rates and routes, the way you do the maps, and the four sections of the heading area. Yes, I think that the date could be formatted so that it is easier to read.

With regards to your comments about my exhibit, I agree with the judges about the quadrants being poorly defined. I have since made them more obvious while still keeping the same format.

There is no way I am going to make 4 large panels. Having 8 large pages was awkward enough for those who took my exhibit to Seattle and back.

Feedback received at the judges feedback forum re large mattes is entirely fair. I made them that way right at the beginning so I could handle them, and I never thought to revise them. I have since trimmed them.

Using light blue mattes is out of the question as it would not blend in with any of the essays.

The topic is very large and complicated, and there are no definitive answers as yet, so going into print with a static article would not be appropriate.  I decided instead to make a collaborative research website where essay scans or parts thereof of varying resolution can be examined and compared. It will be a big project but I made a start in October and by December had dealt reasonably extensively with the first printing group.

The last comment about “not enough material” was written so delicately that I missed the message that it carried. I learned from one of the other judges that one frame exhibits need to have a good fit, i.e. 16 pages must be exactly the right size for the topic. A bad fit (plus the formatting issues) cost me 8 points, in spite of generous use of scans and other textual elements to fill the 16 pages. There are only 19 pieces in the exhibit. There has been some generosity among our collectors, and essays have changes hands as rewards for kindnesses and mentorship. I still have the most variety of any collector I know.

I was told that other judges may be more lenient re the fit. However, my receiving  generous top marks for condition, and high marks for knowledge, personal research and rarity balances it all out.

Feedback from other colleagues who have looked at it has been generally positive. One voted it as the “most interesting” exhibit entered in TPR 2017. The previous owner of some of the essays found his brain tiring when only halfway through it. Page 3 was confusing to another, and he also pointed out that it was not clear which elements of the research and study of the essays was mine. Yet another’s first reaction was that it was “colorful”.

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

As promised, here are the one-page exhibits that I have prepared for this year’s PIPEX club exhibit on Dead Countries.

The stunning double page spread on Yugoslavia is courtesy Michael Bloom and Alexia Steffen.

Sheryll

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

Last but not least, billsey has been able to walk since returning home from his car accident the day before Thanksgiving. I am sure he is looking forward to driving too in the near future.

You can read about his progress on this thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Stamp-Board/billsey-s-car-accident-and-recovery/gpm-p/28000725

Those who wish to help in some way can go to his GoFundMe campaign at

https://www.gofundme.com/bill-seymour-recovery

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

@sheryll*net wrote:

As promised, here are the one-page exhibits that I have prepared for this year’s PIPEX club exhibit on Dead Countries.

The stunning double page spread on Yugoslavia is courtesy Michael Bloom and Alexia Steffen.

Sheryll

Sheryl, thank you for posting the OSS club exhibit.  This is the synopsis of my new four-frame exhibit which will be exhibited for the first time at SANDICAL lateer this week.

Guatemala Chavarry ExhibitGuatemala Chavarry Exhibit

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

Apologies for my late reply. Sad news on Dan! 

Attached one of my last Aussie critiques with the points adding up to 85 but..... Here is the exhibit

CritiqueCritiqueHH

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

Not HH but D1!
Message 29 of 51
latest reply

Here is the exhibit: http://www.ozrevenues.com/exhibits/qpsz/f1.html and here is the reply i was cced in on from the Team Leader who is not an accredited Revenue Judge nor an accredited One frame Judge: "David, My judging sheet shows a 1 point deduction which was made because of the exhibit was considered to be more suited to a multi frame. Not sure how this was handled in Showman but we applied this process throughout. The total for each component are correct with -1 to bring it to 84. for some reason we had to use a Revenues sheet instead of a One Frame marking sheet so the 'penalty box' was missing. I seem to remember Showman refused to produce one for Revenues The only breakdown I have id the 26 made up of 9 and 17 Regards"
Message 30 of 51
latest reply