cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting 16-18 February "Why did I put that in my collection?"

*** eBay Users’ Stamp Club ***

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting on “Why did I put that in my collection?"

We will also post a status update on billsey, who is recovering from his car accident last November.

"Why did I put that in my collection?"

Some things are rather unusual, and possibly non-philatelic, but they get put in our collections. Coins, banknotes, postcards, letters, ephemera, photographs, maps, QR Codes, videos, promotional posters, rulebooks, and other contents of envelopes spring to mind.

Then there are philatelic items grouped together in a non-standard sorting manner.

Tell us about the items you have added to flesh out the story, or you plain just like the look of them in your album with your other more standard material. Or the quirky things you like to collect. Or the quirky ways you like to collect standard material.

---------------

• Anne will show us Egyptian pages themed on her lectures in anthropology.
  • I will be putting up stamps from my 1 – 100 collection.
  • The balcony will provide fried ice cream, exotic cocktails and other quirky foodstuffs.
  • The workshop area will be set up a range of modern stamps and covers so you can come up with some cheap ideas for new collections.

See you there!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014-15 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in OR) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting 16-18 February "Why did I put that in my collection?"

The only reason I can think of is - it's Tin Can Mail....  Um... But, it really doesn't fit with anything else I do.   Sadly, most of the things that meet the criteria of the topic I don't usually bother to scan...

tongatincan.jpg

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Here’s something I happened to spot purely by accident in the wrong category and bought for perhaps $5.  I doubt if it’s worth more than that, and since it never fit in with any collection of mine (my solo prexies are non-philatelic) it has just languished in one drawer or another since I bought it.

2018-02-16-0001a.jpg

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

One more...

I bought this recently on a whim, mostly because it is so difficult to figure the correct rate for parcel post items, except when they have a good old trusty Sears date added to the precancel.  The Item was advertised as being a 1978 item, but the Chicago—El Paso schedule for April ’78 did not allow for a $1.71 rate.  I suspected the item might be from 1975, which did have a $1.71 slot, and when I received the item I was proved correct.  Ther date is 1975.

Scruffy, torn, sloppily cut out, stamps scraped—but I’ll keep it.

PA.jpg

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

A great start to the meeting, Rob and Jim.

Here's the same Tonga cover, but it was slated to be sold - i.e. wasn't mine to begin with.tonga-cv-1934-city-of-la_a.jpg

Interesting to see that the date on mine is in the U.S. date format.

I do have a Tin Can Mail cover that I won at my friend Hubert's auction. He had received quite a few and was very excited about the number of markings on them, so I bid on them.

Tonga Tin Can Mail cover front.jpgTonga Tin Can Mail cover back.jpg

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

As promised, here are some of the stamps in my 1-100 collection. This idea came from a member of my Canberra stamp club. I thought it would be easy, but no, after 16 years I still have holes.

In 2016 I displayed the stamps with others to form a maze, at my local library.

P1090785.JPG

After pulling the maze apart, I have now challenged myself to collect 3 of each, and no Christmas stamps where possible. It would be nice to say one day “no definitives” but they are the mainstay of my hard to get numbers, especially with the Machins and Canada’s and US definitives.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Here is something I picked up several years ago and I can't even remember what possessed me to pick it up.  Certainly has WWI connections and I seem to recall doing a little research on it at some point in time.  I just can't recall what I learned and haven't taken the time to find my notes (if I made any).

It's a registered item that went on a merry chase and even has interesting aux markings. 

I do seem to recall that the 306th was part of the Lost Battalion in the Argonne.  That may have been my reason for picking it up? 

wwIrecdinbadcondition.jpgwwIrecdinbadconditionback.jpg

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Sometime I buy things to flesh out a one-page exhibit. For instance, my page on the Kaiser's yacht was improved by adding a postcard of the yacht and which had a cameo of the Kaiser on it. I also bought two mint copies of German colonies stamps depicting the yacht. Without these things, the page would look rather  drab.

1901 SMY  Hohenzollern_med.jpg

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you, Rob and Jim, for posting. It is interesting to see why we acquire things.

I  didn't get to post how I collect Oregon postmarks by county, nor my cover collection with multiples of the same stamp, nor my international postmarks on piece (pref old piece) collection (including a US town meter for each date), and inwards correspondence by state.

However, these collections have made me more aware of modern US and older European stamps.

We won't even mention my Austria postmark collection, except to say that it has made for a good one-page exhibit on the Austro-Hungarian empire for our Dead Countries club exhibit.

Austro_Hungarian_Empire_draft2.12stamps.big.jpg

Sheryll

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Billsey status update:

Has been seen upright without his boot on, so progress is being made every day since his car accident 12 weeks ago.

I will close the meeting now, but feel free to post if you have anything to add.

We have a vibrant commmittee and I am pleased to report that Peter and Anne will be running the meetings for 16-18 March and 20-22 April around my trip to Oz (20 March-17 April).

I am sure Peter can come up with some great thematic topics for you as he has had a lot of practice!!! I plan to send out the emails to you all, all being well with my imminent departure /recent return around the meeting dates, but count on Peter and Anne to announce the topic on the meeting thread on here and on our Facebook group for these next 2 months.

Sheryll

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks Sheryll for hosting the meeting.  Enjoy your trip!  Good to see billsey up and standing without a boot too.

Note to anyone who is interested.  I am experimenting with having a postal history blog. The purpose is for me to have a place to try to gather the information as I gather it.  If it is only for myself, I find I do a poor job of keeping it organized.  If I think others may look at it/use it someday, I tend to do a better job of getting it recorded properly.  the net result, I hope, is that when I can find time to get back to a project, I don't have waste so much effort redoing all of the work!

So, some of the posts are 'in progress' and others are not.

I invite visitors, comments and any feedback you all might have.

Rob

Message 11 of 11
latest reply