cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bern Switzerland perforated Cross on Semi postal official need identity

Anyone able to catalogue/value this Semi Postal (Official ?) Scott B19 with perforated (punched) Cross? I see the note before the Officials O1 onward with an overprint cross. The Note refers to a 9 hole perforated cross.
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The exhibit at this website (http://www.mbtaxcards.ch/download/perfinssammlungmb.pdf) shows a couple semi-postals with the same perfins on pages 34 and 35. Attributed to Langenthal Bank. 

Joe

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It's a perfin for the Bank of Langenthal. You can see the town name in the cancel. The only reference I have is a copy of a Swiss perfin exhibit which shows an example of this on a 10 centimes stamp of this 1921 semi-postal set.

Sort of confirms it for me.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Same reference. Isn't the internet great?

I have no idea as t value, but an accurate description will bring out the buyer(s).
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thank you both! I agree,  internet is something else! Cannot believe how quick the responses were. I did not give perfins a thought, because it looked so much like the overprinted cross.

1. Is the Langenthal bank a government bank and therefore an "Official"? 2. Is the bank in Bern? 3. What is Bern (a state county town?)

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Langenthal Bank would have been a local bank, not government official.

Bern is the capital of Switzerland. I don't think Switzerland has national banks as we know them. All banking was local, and most transactions during the 19th century were in cash, with very few people having bank accounts. That's why the postal system developed the COD system to such an extent. Then it "invented" circa 1900, the GIRO system which actually was a bank operated by the post office and used as a bank for people to send money to each other's accounts.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thanks again. I interpret Pro Juventute to mean "for the children" and that is what makes it a "semi postal". So, I assume the bank paid for the then current postal rate, and paid an additional 20c. The usual semi postal has a base figure and a + figure. Now I have to look up GIRO LOL.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Actually the stamp paid 20 centimes postage and a certain amount went to the Children'sFund. I forget how much went into the fund.In later years the stamps were denominated as 10+5, or 30+10 so the public knew how much went to the fund. Someone else may know the correct amounts at this early period.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you. Malolo....."razor" sharp, as usual! 🙂
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

My Scott says:

Nos. B1-B76, B81-B84 were sold at premiums of 2c for 3c stamps, 5c for 5c-20c stamps and 10c for 30c-40c

Message 10 of 10
latest reply