cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to my ME page?

I constructed me eBay "ME" page to contain a variety of helpful "stamp identifier" features.  Now when I click on my ME icon all I get is a mostly blank page.  Has eBay abolished the old ME page, which we got to design ourselves, or else just imposed, like Stalin (who would have guessed, eBay acting like Stalin???) that everyone should have the same drab, anodyne, useless "ME" page?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

HI JIm,

Yup , looks like eBay has pulled the plug on ME page. Even the new page does not show any feedbacks, so I guess we'll have to join hands, sing Kumbaya and become a Chinese corporation specializing cheap imported products.

eBay would love that. I always thougth eBay a leader in a perverse way, now it's scrambling for the commercial market to compete with Amazon. It's never compete, so might as well accept the fact that it's real specialty is used products available to collectors and hobbyists.

Just way way the site used to be. I have to admit I think I've bought 2-3 things on eBay other than stamps category. No point in waiting to see if I "win" somehting when I can get it at Amazon. Also, Keywrod Search on eBay sucks. so much unrelated stuff shows up, whereas, amazon returns the products you searched for.

So it goes. Apparently it takes a full 15 years for eBay to trash its customer base in favor of sellers who are cutthroating themsleves to death!

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Another thing. 

For me where ever I click on theses Discussion pages, tab or link, nothing happens. I have a very circuitous route to sign in and post, and have no way to get to other Discusion Boards.

I'd say eBay has trashed the Community Concept.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Yes, I agree.  EBay is now a complete POS experience. (As in "Piece Of [Strawberry shortcake]").  This is what paranoia and money grubbing always leads to--death in the marketplace.  Generosity and refusing to care that your customers just might spend a nickel elsewhere from time to time is the secret to business success.

They started with killing communcation between members.  Then they screwed up the search function, skewing it to items they somehow (who the devil knows why) thought we might want instead of the things we did want.  Now they must simply not care about anything any more. 

I never find anything on eBay of interest any more.  Alec McGratten alerted me to a nice Oct 5 item which closed yesterday, which I couldn't find because eBay killed searching for strings such as "5.10", the way Oct 5 is written in Europe.  Instead of giving me "5.10" from the title or lot description such a search returns any lot that has a "5" or a "10" in it.  Stupid and useless.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Hi guys!

Last December when I was trying to find out what had happened to my "me" page, I found an announcement that said that the old "me" pages would be removed by June 2014.

I now have a "me" blurb, a profile pic and a cover photo. The blurb can be only a certain no of chars long (about 3 lines) and I didn't even try to put in links.

Sheryll

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Anybody remember a company called Ebay about 15 years ago?  I don't know what happened to it but if someone made a new site just like it, I'd bet they could make a lot of money.

Unbleivable, they ask on the "me page" how they can make it better now?

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Thanks Roger and Sheryll and Ant-Ra the Great...

EBay is dead, killed by middle-level manager stupidity.  In fact, most of the ruination in the world is caused by middle-level managers, who never have any idea what the #%$@^#% they are doing.

Hope all is well up in WA and OR and across over in KS!

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Talk about corporate middle managers screwing thing up. 

I posted over 1,000 photos on Panoramio, which had been bought by Google. All photos were geolocated mostly on Google World, and some on Google Maps. The point was to illustrate the world. What a magnificant group of photos. Anywhere you looked on Google there were fantastic images taken by photogrpahers like you and me of our favorite vacation places , etc. Well, Google announced it was going to wrap Panoramio into Google+. One had to have a + account and all question had to go through + advisors, who hadn't a clue about Panoramio issues. I guess you'd read how sucessful Google PLus became. I think it died recently. I pulled my photos and I guess many other photogrpahers did the same. Gggogle wanted photos of local eateries, and stores, etc, guess they weren't getting enough business to pay for their own advertising.

Now Google Maps has changed and for example I can no longer trace the towns postmarked on covers I own. Just start and finish, no intermediate stops. Why ? Because new Google maps doesn't allow my "heritage system" to work with this.

What caused the problem - Google is catering to cell phone screens where people haven't a clue how to read a map, they only want to find the nearest Starbucks.

Panoramio is pretty much gone, Google Maps is gone, unless you buy a new computer, and nobody in those businesses cares. Desktops have become dinosaurs, but I challenge anyone to create and print exhibit pages from a "smart phone"!

I'm touchy today, but thanks for a place to rant. ); >)

I'll let you all know when a book comes out about Razor Cancels. It's about 125 pages right now and I'm co-author with 2 Germans and two Swiss collectors. If you ever wanted to know more than you ever thought existed, this book will be for you. Official release date will be in October at Sindlefingen. I'm going over to Germany for the show, and to meet the other authors for the first time. Should be fun.

My most favorite recent acquisition from Deng Deng, Cameroon, 1926. Google it - nothing close but millions of trees. LOL

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Thats rreally strange, my post  with the cancel image didn't post in sequence based on the time stamp.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Yep, Google Maps died on my computer too, and it isn't even a "legacy" model!  You can go to "Street View" but it only allows you to go about two clicks down the road then pieces of the panorama begin to fall out, replaced by black rectangles.  A few more clicks and you get a totally black screen.

Street View still works on Google Earth though.  I wonder for how long.

Google is throwing money at a variety of dopey projects, such as the self-driving car.  The problems we have with cars is TRAFFIC which self-driving cars, piloting one person from point A to point B, will do nothing to solve.  In fact sefl-driving cars will only add to traffic since people who never learned to drive will now have a private vehicle option instead of having to take public transit.  Google has the eBay mindset--tackle and solve a problem that is not a problem, and in doing so, create no end of problems.  Google is full to the gills with middle managers, each of which has to keep coming up with "ideas" in order to keep their jobs.  This is "creative destruction" as it was ultimately destined to play out.

(I hear Google is also working on a stinkless Google turd.)

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Remember, it was the senior managers who picked the clueless middle managers. And they got rich! Blame them!
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Geeze, I love you guys and gals, speaking your minds and not

seeing Ebunk censor the comments like in the last board.

I'm still buying, finding stuff I need, but P&H from most dealers

is outragious, and especially from GB, where there isn't one consistent

rate, some charging up to $7.00 US!

I too am getting tired of the ebay suggestions, the way to get to this board,

the ads.  

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Hi to All in The Stamp World,

I'm new here on this board but had been on Sports Trading Cards and Coins for over 14 years,I miss all my old friends.I'm late on this post ,everyone is right the Me page was killed when they said.

On how to get here just bookmark it in your web browsers,I use Firefox and have for many years.

It's sad what has happened ,on those boards we would talk about not just the hobby ,we talked about the Buyers and the Sellers.Which most of us are both.

That will keep a post alive for about 20 to 45 replies.When I was new. I caught a lot of noise on how bad my spelling was. I still can't spell.Oh well:   That was How I started with the way I sign my replies.

Lindy s Roar.    Which someone   replied with Helen Reade's  song I Am Woman Hear Me Roar!

There were over 100 and sum post .

It was also a place you could vent and no one persons from another Country was paid to read and Bleep what we wrote.You still might not see all this message since i haven't stay with my post for some time.

My newest question is why did PayPal split ? What did I miss on my vacation?

I have many more just waiting to see what kind of reply I get.

Lindy's Roar

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Hi Lindy. I can't help you with the eBay/PayPal split or what you missed on your vacation (aside from a reduction of free monthly listings and being tied to the computer for  5 days every 2 weeks producing thousands of fixed price listings) but if you'd like a walk down the Stamps chat board memory lane, there is quite a bit of reading -- good, bad and ugly.

Sheryll

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Hi sheryll'net,

Thanks for the short hello welcome to my world,I clicked on the link you posted and the newest post was 2001 .Let me also say the blonder I get the dumber I get.

Don't feed the trolls I got ya. So are there newer post or was that slammed down also.

I do have some sellers questions were would be the best place to chat.I have done so much research  on listings since I started on this new giant step again.

Since I'm not a collector of anything except dust.Dad had so much in so many different type of Hobbies .My head is full ,plus my heart is heavy.Meaning it's so hard to let things go that they once loved. 

This once was a great place to list your items.Now with the fakes and who do you trust.Also the rules sound strong  (sound  ) I mean ,just that . Why don't they remove what they know isn't real. Just like everyone else that has been here back in the good times .It isn't what it once was.

I really do have questions about selling my items so where is the best place to go for the real help-.

Thanks for you reply

lindy

Message 15 of 20
latest reply