cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US stamp—tagged variety issue date vs earlier example

I have an example of a tagged US Scott #1213, bust of Washington dark blue gray that was postmarked 29 July 1963, however my old Scott catalog notes the tagged variety of this stamp wasn’t issued until 28 October 1963.

Does anyone have a recent Scott US Specialized, and would they be so kind as to double-check the issue date for Scott 1213b?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to you all (just happened here in sunny Calif.)

tagged0.jpgtagged1.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: US stamp—tagged variety issue date vs earlier example

Man...hard to know what size these pictures are going to be.  Repost of a previous scan below.

taggedx.jpg

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Looking 2016 US Specialized. Looks like you have a new EKU
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

My 2016 Scott Specialized still gives the date of issue as Oct. 28, 1963.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Redwoodrandy...

That was what I was wondering. That italicized date (see below)—is that the date supplied to Scott by the Post Office as the issue date, or is it the EKU (earliest known use)?

tagged0.jpg

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Either one or both.  Sometimes issues get released early by local post offices.  Sometimes the PO doesn't announce a stamp it doesn't consider different and the date is whatever is reported as eku.  Send a scan to Jim Kloetzel or the editor at Scott.  They will probably ask for some type of verification.  You might have to send it to them but you will get it back.  Congrats on owning the current eku.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

eku76...

Thanks, I will contact Scott.  Is Jim Kloetzel still the editor there?  Do you have an email eddress for him?

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply