cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two R120s,

Hi

Here are two scans of two different R120's, if you could only pick one, just based on these scans, which one would you pick and why?

The reverse sides are not in question.

If you don't want either one which of course is your choice, please do not weight in!R120 #1R120 #1R120 #2R120 #2

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Two R120s,

I see no difference between the two, other than the fact that the scans are of different sizes.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I'm sure perhaps some one else will spot the obvious difference!

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

How can we possibly tell with no scans of the backs?  And the notes you took while scrutinizing them?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The engraving lines in the shield stripes appear to be quite different, diagonal in the left, straight in the right.  There also seem to be some minor differences in the central vignet: GW has a slight smile on the left, but not the right, the base of the vignet seems slightly wider relative to the frame in the right one.  Is one of these a forgery, or a different entry type?

Best regards,

dkru

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hi I must say I'm surprised you did not figure it out!  I know you know a lot about stamps, maybe as much as any other member.

Scans and notes of the back are only required when dealing with the Wash/Franklin head stamps.  For the most part fiscals from the first, second, third, forth series for purposes of identification the reverse is of little importance except the first series silk papers (not the experimental silk papers).

I'll wait a while longer to see if ant other members respond.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

They are different colors , so must be different printings.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I’m guessing that the revenue stamp on the right has a slight double impression at the upper right, but it’s almost impossible to tell because your scans are very mushy.  You either need to bump up the dpi’s or get a better scanner.  Below is an example of a decent scan of a revenue stamp, where you can see every tiny dot of the image.

R131.jpg

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Left stamp, he is looking at me, not away into the distance 🙂 Better centering too.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Well, I don't collect these, so trying to figure out why one is better than the other is likely a hopeless task without digging into specialized literature next time I'm at the library. I see silk threads in the paper of both. Both might have ribbed paper as well, but the horizontal lines could just as easily be an artifact of the scans. There are the obvious design differences in the shields, but I have no idea which is more correct. Since both are purported to be Scott R120 then those design differences must just be normal variances in the design. #1 might have a bit of retouching in the perfs at right, the other has an obvious skipped perf hole. They're both used in 1872, though it looks like on June 9th and July 11th. No idea if that's significant. I don't recognize the initials as being someone of import...
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Hi

Received a varied ideas what this right stamp  #2 was, someone said it might be a double impression, then someone else said design differences in the shield.

I give you a hint, compare the Right #2 R120 on the right stamp with R118 the one dollar.

What it is a Foreign Design Transfer see my scan.  The foreign design transfer is R118 the one dollar value.  On the pane the R118 was entered first in error, then burnished out except not all was burnished out, then the R120 transfer roll was entered over the remaining R118 design elements one the pane plate.

If in doubt check the Scott Catalog for R120 and you will see "Foreign Entry, Design of the $1".  

I'm surprised  as I've found three of these mostly at stamp shows in the junk boxes of dealers.   

A variety well worth looking for, makes good trading material and can be had for less than $5 in most cases.

Its interesting that most of the R120 with the Foreign Design Transfer or Foreign Entry Transfer are off centered, at least I've never found one that was well centered.  

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Oops I forgot the scan, here it is.

See arrowSee arrow

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Definitely #1.

The centering is much better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi yes #1 the centering is far better, but in this case stamp #2 would be a better deal as its an error.  This error can be found but is rather rare and expensive.  I've been able to find a few of them as unrecognized error and picked them up each one for less than ten dollars.

Someone could pick one of these up for cheap, then either sale it or trade it for a stamp(s) you need.  As an example the last one I picked up a few months ago was at a stamp show, found it in a dealers junk box. 

Bought it for $5, moved on to another dealer at the show, traded it for a block of R170p!

If I can find these errors anybody can find them.     

Message 14 of 14
latest reply