cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Russian Stamps?

Hello Everyone!

I hope someone can help me (if my eBay community can't help, I don't know who can!).  I am dissecting my and my mother's old stamp collections.  I have these four items from Russia - see pics.  I don't know if  they are postage stamps but they were in with Mom's collection (which means they are old).  They almost look like mini-propaganda posters to me.  Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help out!

Betsy

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Russian Stamps?

hose stamps are what collectors call "semi-postals". They pay for postage and an additional amount that goes to some worthy cause. They were issued in 1922 and have a 2019 "catalog value" of $109.00. If they were used, the "catalogue value" would be $625.00. They were issued without gum. Yes, stamp collectors would want them. So handle them carefully. Google this  "I Inherited a Stamp Collection, Now What?" 

Since stamps were first issued in 1840 stamps of 1922 are not particularly "old". Remember this too, a stamp catalogue value is not like a Sears catalog, where the price you see is what you would expect to pay. STamp catalogues only give you "relative values". Dealers will pay a discount of catalogue because he has to resell them and he know we stamp collectors are very tight with our $$

Those are nice stamps. If they are any indication of the others in the collection, well I am sure we would all like to see more!

Your stamps are Scott B30 B31 B32 B33. Your city library may have  set of Scott catalogues. But, be sure to educate yourself with that google suggestion I gave you before you get carried away.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

They were produced in the city of Rostov on Don in 1922 to help pay for famine relief however forgeries exist and 99% of those seen are forgeries.  

see

https://stampforgeries.ca/europe/russia/1919-1923/1922-charity-issue/

David B.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  That was helpful. With the Scott #s, now I can what the same items are selling for eBay.

I knew I could count on the eBay community!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Hopefully, you are also reading dbenson's comment. Like anything else, if there is something that has value, there will always be someone, somewhere who will take advantage of the unwary. Again..... google I Inherited a Stamp Collection, Now What? There is much more to stamp collecting than you can imagine.....

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks!  Feeling overwhelmed!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you!  All very helpful.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Go to the link that dbensen posted. Scroll down within that link. It shows some characteristics of the forgeries of your stamps. An excellent link that I am adding to my favorites!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply