cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late use RAZOR cxl?

Roger—

Here’s a 1923 use of a LUZERN express letter razor cancel from 24 Apr 1923.  Kinda smeared though…

luzern.jpg

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Late use RAZOR cxl?

What is the background of such cancel?

I assume cxl stands for cancel in your posting?

When ever I write I always spell out in words followed by (in your case cxl), this way everyone knows.  Example

Cancel (cxl).

This way everyone knows what cxl stands for, mostly its useful for members in other countries who do not fully understand are way of writting.

DAVID THOMPSON

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Shear interest only. 

Is Lucerne not in Switzerland?

Ken Caplan

Ken Caplan
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Out of interest

Is Lucerne not in Switzerland

Ken Caplan

Ken Caplan
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

You can find information about the Swiss 'razorblade' cancels with a quick google search. Here is a good site with some information about its usage  (BTW, last known usage was 1939).

https://swiss-philately.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cancels_7.pdf

And yes Lucerne is in Switzerland so the razor cxl was a transit or receiving mark. 

Joe

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Hi Jim,

Nice use. For more information about Swiss razor cancels click on my 9 frame exhibit.

http://www.rogerheath.com/#razor-cancels

Starting Frame 9 of the nine frame exhibit, page 04 through the end of the exhibit shows some examples of the Luzern razor cancelers towards the end of their lives. There were two at this point in time and they both ended up in the Express desk of the Luzern post office.

Reading below I'm, sad to find out that the UK Helvetia sociaty gets a higher hit than my exhibit pages which have been up for close to 10- 15 years now!  

If you click on and download the 28Mb pdf you can see what I exhibited in Switzerland this past May. I got a Gold which was really nice considering the Swiss collector of razor cancels got a Vermeil, 11 points below my score. Makes me feel good.

I hope after reading my exhibits everyone here learns about Swiss razor cancels.

This cover is my favorite from that period. Google the origin and see even today that the person who sent the letter was in the middle of nowhere!9_08comp.jpg

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Roger...

I've had your exhibit on my hard drive since forever (see below screenshot).  I will have to update it since you surely have many new items.  I have always been in awe of the amount of research and diligence you have put towards this area of study.  I just thought you'd like to see a razor cxl on a cover collected for another reason!

malolo.jpg

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

msgt—

In your expression of concern that people from other countries might have trouble with my way of writing, I suggest they would have a lot more trouble with yours (see below).  I would link to a page that explains some of this, but links never work (so you claim) for you, even though nobody else ever has difficulty with them.

Grammar books are everywhere on eBay!  (Note: I am not talking about your grandmother.)

Good luck.

msgt.jpg

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Roger,

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Thoroughly enjoy your work on this topic.  It's been a while since I've taken a spin through your exhibit and I am hoping to be able to carve a little time out this Winter to do so.

I have no razor cancels in my collection and maybe a dozen Swiss covers all told.  Most of them, as you might recall, because I am trying to learn the various border crossings being used in the 1860's in Western Europe.  This is probably the prettiest of the covers of which I am the current caretaker.

Best,

Rob

SwisstoFrance2.jpg

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

This is the progress I have made thus far on Switzerland / France.   I have a postal history blog I am using to store and arrange the "research" as I have time.  Needless to say, it must also wait until the growing season ends.  But, with all of the rain lately, that end is coming way to soon for the overall health of our farm. 

Here is the link: https://gffpostalhistory.blogspot.com/2018/04/letter-rates-between-switzerland-and.html

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Ken C,

The item being shown, if I am not mistaken, originated in Germany and probably went to a Swiss destination.  The Luzern marking is either a transit marking or a receiving mark.  I'll let Jim or Roger correct me as necesary.

And, of course, if that's not what you were getting at, then you can also correct me.  this lines up with Joe's comments as well.

Best to all,

Rob

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Jim,

By chance I received a Lausanne razor cancel today from France. I don't collect them very often these days unless they are somehting special.

This canceler was the issued with five others on 11 October 1898 only to be recalled 6 weeks later on 14 November along with all the others deCoppet had sent out for testing. He had problems and these cnacelers weren't reissued until April 1899. 1898 uses of any are scarce. Thanks for showing your example.

I've been accumulating named railway cancels of private railways in switzerland for the past couple of years and now have examples from 71 different railways! I;ve written a couple of articles for my society journal and made a couple of presentations.lausanne _1898_11_09.jpg

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments. I like the early rotating wheel cancelers made by Güller of Hüttikon. He invented the mechanism that the Swiss post office adopted almost immediately.

Below is my earliest example, followed on the next page with the quickly changing fonts from serif to sans-serif all pre-1870.

http://rogerheath.com/~thernsp2/roger/razorexhibit/1_page03.html1_03comp.jpg

I hope you have a great harvest and get stuck into your collecting activities this winter with no guilt. LOL

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Rob, I'll see if I have any examples for your different Swiss/France rates, I'll check my collection. It may not be immediately.

Roger

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I changed my internet provider, now my old computer works much faster, I went back and checked, the previous hot link on one of your older posting now works great.

On your current posting, the example you gave corrections to my writing thanks, its difficult typing with one hand.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply