cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

German Album 1937-41

I have inherited a completed album entitled "DIE MARKEN DES DRITTEN REICHES -VOLKS BRIEFMARKEN   ALBUM."    It appears to be a history book of the 3rd Reich.  234 completed pages with stamps and postcards.  Each page has multiple photographs and a history of the photos with postage issued at the time.  I have never seen this hard cover completed album for sale anywhere.  A few times someone tried to sell a few pages and said they were "smuggled" out during the war.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Jim  Retiredguy922

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
12 REPLIES 12

German Album 1937-41

Smuggled out during the WW2, I don't see why that would make any difference.  Stamps are stamps!

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

Of course,  The question remains. This album has never been offered for sale.  Can you help me identify it and its value?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

I don't feel qualified.

Perhaps (only a guess), contact a German Stamp Society for help.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

Thank you for a lead on my research.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

Glad I could help in a small way.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

I hope someone can offer me information on this rare completed 3rd Reich history/stamp album.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

Try here -

http://www.germanyphilatelicsocietyusa.org

No need to call it "rare" until someone with knowledge of the book confirms it. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

It would help a great deal if you could post some images of the book, including some of inside pages with the stamps.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

Looks like one was offered at auction in Germany in 2013 with an estimate of 250 Euros, it sold for 220 so not too bad... That's a lot more than those manufactured collectables go for in the US.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

Thank you. You are the only one that offered solid information on this item. If it was last offered 8 years ago then I would think it would be rare-if not strange.  250 pages of photos with stamps that were issued during that time (1937-43).  Jim

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

You are welcome!

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

German Album 1937-41

Not necessarily rare, it's just that you have to find just the right audience for that type of material. They were typically sold to 'investors' on a subscription basis where you paid a monthly fee and they sent you the new pages each month. The bulk of the modern (20th century) material from Germany that is considered 'rare' is from the few weeks or months at the end of the war when individual postmasters had to think outside the box to keep the mail flowing without direct support from a government. This is all earlier material. As I said, this type of material in the US wouldn't attract buyers, so wouldn't even be offered at an auction. Your collection has a little more draw, because of the Nazi tie in.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply