cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDCs can you help ?

Sheryll,

Can you help me to I.D. These I have know idea what these covers are and I remembered you are into covers .I Hope the Photos are okay.img220a..jpg

img220a..jpg

img222.jpg

img223a..jpg

img223a..jpgimg227.jpg

img227a.jpg

img228a..jpg

The only thing I know is they are Air Mail.I have so much to go through to see what I'm going to try to list and what I'm Sending the Auction House.Can You Help.

Thanks again.

lindy

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

FDCs can you help ?

These aren’t “FDCs”, which stands for First Day Cover. FDCs are canceled with special postmarks indicating first day of use.  The only cover that might have some value is the one stamped “SALVAGED FROM K.L.M. CRASH AT SHANNON.”  Here is a link to news about the crash, in which 28 people died:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLM_Flight_633

List it by itself with the term CRASH COVER in the title and provide the link above in the lot description. Don’t expect to get rich though.  The rest of the covers are ordinary (or defaced, such as the first one with the note written in pen) and probably not of much interest to collectors.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

FDCs can you help ?

jaywild ,

Thank you ! I know FDC have the date on them ,the day they were issued . He Did teach us that.I really mean thank you for taking the time to answer me.

I have a full album of those ( all different) all air mail, many have a story with them .I just don't what they say.

Plus I don't know what to title them.

Also I don't expect to get rich , I'm not doing this for that reason,there to many other thing I could that are much easier then this if it was to get rich. I don't need the money .It Is something I have to do for my siblings .

Again I thank you

Lindy

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

FDCs can you help ?

Hi Lindy, thanks for posting the covers. jaywild has given you good advice. Registered or censored airmail covers are worth more than normal airmail covers. 

Yes, I love covers and learn something from nearly every one. 

As I mentioned in the meeting thread, my nicer covers get cherry-picked by eBay buyers. I never know if any extra info I add to the descriptions helps them to sell, but I usually try. Many examples of my eBay cover write-ups are on my See the World, From Cover to Cover webpages. I have recently revamped them whilst in Oz, so you may like to take a look.

Title of the listing may read like this:

Turkey Registered 1930 cover Ankara to Leipzig, Germany

I may mention censor tape and markings, if the cover is registered and/or airmail, Scott numbers for the stamps, starting town and destination town, date and location of postmarks, and also the transit and receiving cancels on the back.

I will usually scan both front (200dpi) and back (150dpi)  and any interesting markings (400-600dpi).

As jaywild said, any manuscript mentioning saving stamps turns the cover into something unsaleable. Usually ditto with items in bad condition.

I put the former in my "covers ruined by collectors" display accumulation and donate the latter to my stamp club or soak off the stamps.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

FDCs can you help ?

Sheryll,

Girl that must of taken you sometime.

I checked out your trip on the Web site.You sure spend a lot of time ,you must enjoy it.

My trouble is the chore is bigger than myself.

I thank you for all your help.

Lindy

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

FDCs can you help ?

Hi Lindy, thanks for your nice words.

Many of the covers on those webpages were from another project, hence the long write-ups.

Others were taken from eBay and have no write-ups!

A lot of sellers just have "See scan" in the description, and you could do that too if you give yourself permission.

My packer is of the opinion that my time would be better spent on listing than describing, as buyers will find the covers they want anyway.

That way I'd list more, and sell more, for the same amount of effort.

Good luck!

Sheryll

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

FDCs can you help ?

Sheryll,

What would you ask for price on the K M L Flight. I know you do fix price listings.I never have before ,it seems that might be the way to go on everything also how long do you list for.I'm going to go back and check listing fees on that.

Also not once did I think I would be listing stamps. The Pl.Bk's.I find I have no interest,with that said,I find I'm getting caught up in the history part of the covers.Shoo don't tell anyone that.

Again Thanks for being so nice.and helpful to everyone.

That is what upset me before ,like I said ,there is no reason to give advice in the way I got it.

That will bring me out right now .I would of never walked away from that .

I know that was what I first said,that I won't be back.Then Hubby said I never knew you to back away.

When someone makes there first reply to you in a thread that way,I don't care how smart they are .

Good advice comes cheap on the boards as we know.We also know there are to many folks that will help in a good way.

So keep up the good work.

Lindy

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

FDCs can you help ?

Lindy—

Anytime you want to research what an item will bring on eBay do a “search” in the proper category, and then be sure to check the “Sold listings” box down among the options on the left side. This will show you what people have been willing to pay recently for items like yours.

Below is a link to a search I did of “Sold listings” of lots with CRASH COVER in the title.  About halfway down you will find a cover from the exact same crash yours is from, which sold for $51.

Crash Covers

Please note that the starting price for the auction was $9.99. My suggestion is to start low and let bidders compete.  If you list the cover at $51 half of your potential buyers will simply look at the price, think it is too high of a start price, and skip the auction.  Remember that people go on eBay to find BARGAINS.  A crash cover at $9.99 is a great bargain, so everybody who is interested in such things will put it on their watch list to bid on when it closes.  Even if the price creeps up and up during the week the potential buyer will keep adjusting his “willing-to-pay” price upward because he has already decided he wants it.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

FDCs can you help ?

Thanks, jaywild, for your helpful remarks.

Lindy, I did something similar to jaywild. I used eBay's advanced search using terms like "klm crash shannon" in the stamps category, also checking the Sold listings box.

I found items from US$9 to 50 euro.

Most were metered mail.

Yours is nicer but the sticky tape at the bottom means a condition problem.

I'd probably start it around $15, as the more I research a cover the more I tend to put on it.

I start with a 10-day auction. If it doesn't sell, another 10-day auction, same price.

Then I put it up as a fixed price 30-day listing, and consider whether to keep the price the same, raise it a bit or lower it a bit. Over time, my fixed price listing prices are gradually reduced.

I always use eBay's free monthly listings and any promotions offered. E.g., there is cuirrently a 1000 free auction or fixed price listing going. So I don't have to pay insertion fees unless I list an item in 2 categories.

Hope that helps!
Sheryll

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

FDCs can you help ?

jay,

thanks so much ,yes that is how I research and have for 15 years ,my trouble for this item was what to look for in the sold listings.

( Wait) I am going to take part of that back the truth is I have been watching ,completed listings not sold .

That is how I found out on the other board from John, that I was watching shill bidding.That is a long story you have to go to the discussion board called: Stamp Collectors .Where he has been helping me very much.

I was the one who was so -_-_!)+- ^&7_* here . I don't even want to talk about that part, so you if you want to know what I'm saying, you would have to go there. . I only came back here because I remembered Sheryll did covers and I knew that.Plus you have been a lot of help.Like I said earlier that you have helped I did click on it and I see must of those are BIN.

I wouldn't list like that until I know more about the album that is all event flight covers. After going through the black albums ,I see many of those were someone that was a retired Post Master, not my Dad. He must of purchased them from the heirs.That is also another large collection.

Like I posted this is a very big undertaking.I have almost decided to lay them to the side and go back to the Error Coins and World coins.Since I was a child when he collected them and I helped with that.

One more question for you he loved errors ,I have researched the coil and Pl.Bk errors.I can't seem to find errors of postal stationery/postal cards.Do you have a lead on that?

Thanks again for all your help.

Lindy

Message 10 of 10
latest reply