cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Department of Homeland Security censor tape

First one I’ve ever seen!  I didn’t think the USPS opened mail anymore.  Maybe it was because this item was from the PRC.

Anyone else seen one of these?

hs.jpgHS seal.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Where does "Department of Homeland Security censor tape"  come into play on this item.

Point it out!

David

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Eh?

Written around the printed "seal".

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I belive it's more of an inspectors seal rather than censor tape.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Spoiler
airbornestamps…

There’s probably a fine legal distinction between a censor opening a letter and an inspector opening one.  This is a flat, #6 size cover.  I’ve never before received a piece of mail that had been subjected to opening and resealing by a censor/inspector.  Perhaps a change in political winds?  I’ve received items from China before that were not subjected to this.

The cover contained this, sent 5 October 1917 from URGA Mongolia (later ULAANBAATAR). I can read the 10th-month, 5th-day (十月五日) but not the year, so I’m taking the seller’s word for it.

1917.jpg

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Probably opened because even though it was a commercial cover (note the dual postal service usage, typically containing merchandise) there was no customs form.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@billsey

Thanks, the OP I guess could not understand my question or perhaps I did not write in way he understands.

Again, your posting makes sense.

Good show.

Dave

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

billsey…

Ah, that makes sense.

A little digging showed that U S Customs was absorbed into Homeland Security in 2003, thus the DHS “seal”.

How is your recovery coming?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@jaywild wrote:

How is your recovery coming?

Got the stitches out from the fourth surgery today, just in time for me to make it to PIPEX this weekend. I've been walking around a bit with the stitches in, though I was supposed to be on a 'transfer pivot only' mode and it's been going well enough that I haven't been relying on pain pills. I'll be doing my typical electric scooter thing at the show and spending the bulk of my time sitting at the 'Grandma's Attic' booth telling people how little their stamps are worth, but will still be walking from the car to the ballroom a couple of times each day. We'll see how well it works... I was doing so well until the screws in my heel broke, which required that fourth surgery to get most of them back out.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

billsey

You've made a great recovery so far, despite that screw setback.  Glad to see you getting around and enjoying yourself.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply