cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRM cover anomaly

The BRM item below, marked “first class”, doesn’t add up.  In January 1974 the BRM per-piece 1st class surface rate for 1 oz was 10¢, for airmail (extremely unlikely for a charity BRM) 13¢, neither of which divides equally into $10.48.  This BRM transaction occurred after the demise of the local postage rate (1966), but before the appearance of the first-class quantity discount rate (1976), so that cuts out both of those possibilities. 

BUT—

If 4 of 108 returned BRM covers had 8¢ stamps affixed, then the normal charge for 108 items ($10.80) would be reduced by 32¢, leaving a balance due of $10.48.

thines, billsey, or anyone else familiar with BRM, does this make sense?

b.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

BRM cover anomaly

Would be helpful to see reverse side, also is there anything inside?

Can you determine who the sender was, private person or business?

DAVID THOMPSON

MSGT/USAF/RETIRED

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

BRM cover anomaly

You must be right that four of the covers had 8 cents affixed. Since the addressee was a charity, people would see affixing the 8 cents postage (which was the first class rate at the time) as an additional small gift, which it was. Good deduction and a lovely cover.
By the way, whether the sender was a private person or a business would have absolutely no bearing on the matter.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

BRM cover anomaly

msgtdavid

If you did some RESEARCH into BRM (Business Reply Mail) you would quickly discover that your questions are completely immaterial to the question I posed. 

Can’t understand why you haven't done this already, since research seems to make you so happy.  The internet is right there waiting.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

BRM cover anomaly

thines…

Thank you.  I puzzled over this item quite a lot before the answer dawned on me.

When I mail to a charity I always pay the postage myself, but I also cover the BRM markings completely, because the USPS sorts BRM automatically and this machinery is not programmed to kick items out that are already paid, so many (if not most) BRM covers with postage on them still get charged first class rate plus the BRM surcharge.  The volume of material the USPS handles ensures that few human eyes oversee any part of any complex process.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

BRM cover anomaly

I'm too late, but concur that is likely the explanation. If I remember I'll ask Tony W next time I see him.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply