cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who the heck cares? (#3)

There is always someone who cares.   I know this is TCM's thread & hope she doesn't mind if I start #3.   We can't go without a 'who the heck cares'.

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 1 of 419
latest reply
418 REPLIES 418

Re: Who the heck cares? (#3)

Talking about commercial fishing boat rescues reminds Heron of the last boat rescued just prior to Heron departing the USCG.  It was a lobster fishing boat.  The lobster boat was about 35 miles off the coast of New Jersey.  Our tug boat was on 'standby duty' and we got the call to find and rescue that lobster fishing boat.  

Well we did find it.  It took 4 hours at 9 miles per hour, our max speed.

We towed that boat to N.Y. harbor and arrived in the harbor about 8 PM.

The lobster boat Capt sent his power lifeboat to our tugboat.  The power lifeboat had about 6 live large lobsters.  We hauled the lobsters aboard and sent them quickly to the galley.  The cooks had hot water

ready and the lobsters were promptly boiled.  It was a 'late meal' but one of the best during Heron's 4 years of active duty.  Super tasty lobster with melted butter or just plain lobster.  Heron remembers that evening to this day.  It happened about 64 years pasado!  

Message 376 of 419
latest reply

Cahty, I wondered if you took your crochet projects, or really an projects down in the storm pod! I bet watching the radar does make it easier to figure out what's going on outside!

Shirls, when they get to hurting or aching they would be very restless, I'd guess, but as far as I know he doesn't have restless leg syndrome.

Mmmmm Heron, the lobster sounds amazing! It's been a while since I had any!

Warm here, so very warm. I like it a lot but not when it means storms are coming in. Which they are, probably tomorrow or the next day.

Dom, sounds like you are gearing up for winter again!

Ha da good weekend. Got the garage cleaned for the cookout for the Plumber's dad's birthday yesterday. We just did burgers and dogs on the grill, still good tho. I had one for lunch today! 🙂

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 377 of 419
latest reply

When you dug them up to store for the winter, did you notice that shiveled little thing on the bottom?

(......Dom, Shirley....shut up. Don't you even speak😉).

That's the old bulb....it's done. Twist it off & toss it. Seperate the new bulb from the other (if it made two) & plant them with the side that was touching the old bulb face down.

You should do it in the fall when you dig them up...let it cure for a few days first.

We used to raise glads for cut flower sales.......30,000 bulbs at one time. Used to dig them up, clean/store them.

A real PIA.

Message 378 of 419
latest reply

Never dug them up to store. They come back on their own. I planted them about 5 years ago. Think it was the year after Hurricane Michael.

This is the situation:

20240416_095255~2.jpg

20240416_095330~2.jpg

 They're all doing it. Everything has multiplied from all that rain we got, from garlic to spiderwort.

Message 379 of 419
latest reply

That sounds...tedious to do, Fruit! My gramma stored elephant ears under her bed every winter 🙂

It's getting ready to storm here. i sure hope it does not. I don't want to work that hard, lmao

My hands are telling a different story tho, lol.

Ya'll have a good one!

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 380 of 419
latest reply

Yes, lobster is a great food item and very nutritious.  And Heron just remembered another lobster anecdote:  Ok, some background info first.

Some family members were on a 'road trip' from Fla to Quebec Province in Canada.  We had completed our time in Quebec Province and were in New Brunswick Province.  From a hilltop, we could see far distance.  There was a very large ferry boat tied up at a 'landing'.   So, although we did not know where the ferry boat was 'headed', we decided to try to get aboard.

We went downhill about 80 MPH (A nice large Chevy Suburban). Heron was driving and honking the horn in Morse Code, not that the Morse did any good...!  Well, the ferry boat crew waited for us to arrive. Guided us aboard.  And then we found out our destination was Prince Edward Island.  Never had been there previously so we were happy to learn we would visit a 'new place'.  That evening, after we found a motel, we went into town (Charlottetown, capitol of PEI).  Found a waterfront restaurante.  Discovered that the featured menu item was LOBSTER. 

These were a species of lobster Heron had never previously seen. They were relatively small.  The special sale price $1.00 per lobster...!  So, we feasted on lobster.  It tasted just as good as any other lobster consumed.  (The price of $1.00 per lobster was in Canadian Dollars. At that time the Canadian Dollar was worth about 1.05 in USA Dollars. Almost 'even').  Yep, that was a true adventure with a very happy ending.

(After 2 days on PEI we returned to Nova Scotia (New Scotland). Then after visiting the Bay of Fundy we returned to the USA on a small ferry boat from Deer Island Canada.  The small ferry boat could only carry 2 motor vehicles at a time.  And the Suburban made the ferry boat 'list' to port quite a bit.  However, we 'landed' safely on shore in Maine USA.

(This road trip was 17 days and very tiring but a lot of fun). And yes, for inquiring minds, there was a USA Customs Officer on the beach along with an Immigrations Officer.  They were there to meet every ferry boat landing.  Worked 8 hour shifts around the clock.  A bit of trivia for when the game is played.  

Message 381 of 419
latest reply

I guess I didn't realize it stayed that warm where you're at.

I would leave them for now.......& dig/seperate them early in the Fall (early Sept.). That way, they'll have a chance to "settle in" for the winter months.

We would plant the first batch in March....then another batch every 2 weeks. The last ones would flower for Labor Day weekend (a few odd ones after them, by then the season slowed down & we were busy with apples/pumpkins).

Message 382 of 419
latest reply

Reminds me of a 'field situation' where we were located near the Indian Ocean.   There was a dock where one of our team would go 'fishing'.   He would catch many blue crab and also squid.  We had a hot plate in the lab and a skillet to cook the squid.  The blue crab we put in a large dish pan and put them in the autoclave.   The biggest giveaway to what we were doing was the fact the aroma of the crab stayed in the tent liner hours afterwards 😂  Definitely better than eating MREs. 

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 383 of 419
latest reply

"When you dug them up to store for the winter, did you notice that shiveled little thing on the bottom"?

..........did you notice that shriveled little thing on the bottom?..........

shirleys8093_0-1596158019995.gif

didn't say a word

Message 384 of 419
latest reply

Thanks Fruit! Yeah, the average low here in Winter is about 38 f. but sometimes we get in the teens.

Our high average for July is said to be 93f.

Message 385 of 419
latest reply

Our high yesterday was 87*!!   I'm in TN near the KY border.    And it's only mid-April.....

Message 386 of 419
latest reply

@fruitflogger wrote:

How well we know each other. LOL

Message 387 of 419
latest reply

@shirleys809304 wrote:

Our high yesterday was 87*!!   I'm in TN near the KY border.    And it's only mid-April.....

I think Fruit is just ' high '. LOL

Message 388 of 419
latest reply

Yep. It happens. Got up to 92 in April of 1987. They were having a heatwave in  Birmingham.

Went topsy turvy.

Well I don't have nothing new to talk about.

Forgot that Fredi wanted to know if I took any crocheting down in the storm pod. I have when it was something like a cap or motifs to join or a dishcloth.

The light isn't that great, so I don't work on a doily or thread crochet or tat in the storm pod.

Gotta go. Need to put gas in the car and run by the bank and Library.

Have a good one!

Message 389 of 419
latest reply

YESS!  A crab feast is great...!  (Heron never had to consume MREs so does not know how good or not so good they might be).  One of the highlights of WW2 were the Saturday evening crab feasts at the big trailer park where my grandparents lived.  Whilst we were living in Army 'family' housing.  But the odor of cooked crab will indeed 'linger' for a looong time.  Tasty but odiferous.  

One more lobster anecdote.  Year was 1977.  Five of the corporation's sales guys were attending a large machinery EXpo in Miami.  One of the regional managers invited us to dinner.  We chose Dean Martin's restaurante.  Caribbean lobster was featured that evening.  Heron ordered a plate of lobster.  When it arrived it was 'bare'.  Heron told the waiter that it was not Italiano style.  Waiter took Heron's plate back to kitchen.  Returned with Heron's lobster covered in 'Italiano gravy'.  Plus a side dish filled with more Italiano 'gravy'.  It was a delicious meal, even after half a bottle of 'vino rojo'.  

Message 390 of 419
latest reply