cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

Last night I received a disturbing Paypal payment, it was definately different. The email said in part...
"You've received a payment....blah blah blah... We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction...blah blah blah....We’ll release the hold in 21 days..."

The email further states that Paypal/eBay MAY release the funds early if:
1. The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
2. We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.

The email also instructed me to SHIP the item right away.

No. 1: I don't need eBay or Paypal to advise me on something I already do very well. Although we are relatively new at this, we have STELLAR Rating of 100%.

No. 2: A 21 Day Hold on our money is B.S! Its OUR money. But of course this maneuver allows Ebay & Paypal to significantly increase revenue by reaping (raping) the interest on millions of dollars.

I too want eBay to be a safe and trusted shopping venue, but this punishes those of us who follow the rules. It should be implemented on only those who are failing to provide quality customer service.

I also noticed the sneakiness involved. This was not widely broadcast in advance (I don't recall hear/reading anything about it) and It was implemented on a Friday afternoon. I sure hope everyone raises 2 colors of hell about this. Lodge a Formal Complaint.

Uncle Fred
Message 1 of 365
latest reply
364 REPLIES 364

I have just removed pp from my listings.

I have run 100k through them the last 2 years alone and dont care to be treated this way so I am done with them.

all these years just to get s&^ on by this company.

for some dumb reason they forgot we built them and we can build someone else.

come on Gates get the yahoo deal done and start the acutions again.
Message 16 of 365
latest reply

WHOA!!!
I was just about to list a computer for sale and was looking to give buyers additional payment options - check / money order as well as PayPal.
I have been buying and selling on eBay since 1997 (mostly buying) with 100% rating but I haven't sold 20 items in the last 12 months. My Detailed Seller Ratings is less than 20 and therefore eBay will hold my money for 21 days. - NO WAY!!!
This blatant attempt to hijack float money interest is going to kill the small sellers on eBay.
I am looking for recommendations from the forum members for alternate auctions sites that don't have such stupid policies.
Message 17 of 365
latest reply

TWO WORDS
RAISE HELL

and don't shut up

There is power in numbers...

By the way, just think about the DAILY INTEREST EARNED on these millions of dollars..., OH...Earned on OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY....in the name of "safety".. right

All the best,
Uncle Fred
Message 18 of 365
latest reply

and Tie up their @#$% phones
Message 19 of 365
latest reply

OR......you could just stop selling on ebay as I have and you wont have to worry about the stupid PAypal rules
Message 20 of 365
latest reply

usmc1944
Enthusiast
Sorry atticofunclefred is I have to say it but if you keep an unnecessary amount of money in your PP account then you're stupid. You're giving ebay extra funds to earn more interest with YOUR money. I've been saying this for months, keep a 0 balance on all PP accounts and ebay will start to listen.
Message 21 of 365
latest reply

usmc1944
Enthusiast
WHEN ARE WE GOING TO COMPLAIN TO THE FTC FOR THIS POSSIBLY ILLEGAL PRACTICE?

One thing I can tell you for sure, when you complain to the government (FCC, FTC, Etc.) the companies get scared. And in my personal experience these agencies are very quick to get on the companies cases when you start a complaint.
Message 22 of 365
latest reply

I never kept much money in there, but it WAS more than required. Tomorrow morning they will be staring at a $0 balance.

USMC, Your "stupid" comment was unnecessary.
Message 23 of 365
latest reply

Start the complaint...I'm in.

After assuring me it would not happen again, because I do not carry "high Risk" Items....Paypal just put holds on 2 more of my payments, within the past 2 hours.

ONE is supposed to ship to JAPAN! And Paypal is ordering me to ship to the other side of the f'n globe....BEFORE I get paid???

Between the 3 Holds this weekend, they are FORCIBLY holding (and earning interest on) almost $800 (just from me).

Another ultra sneaky part (and I gotta give credit where credit's due...cuz this is prize-winning sneaky) is that unless you check your personal email that is linked to your Paypal account, you will never know of "the Hold". Notice of the Hold is not posted to your eBay account. Outrageously, the transaction will simply show as "Paid" and "Awaiting Shipment"

We don't even get a "you just got screwed" email in our eBay inbox....

FILE THE COMPLAINT...Uncle Fred is IN
Message 24 of 365
latest reply

With 68 items listed you wont be fixing any problems with the system. Your just feeding the greed monster everytime you list something. They have you hooked. Its not going to get better until everyone quits loading things on ebay. Good luck with the complaint Id like to see it happen but I wont put my name on it since I dont sell on ebay it dont effect me.
Message 25 of 365
latest reply

militaryplus
Enthusiast
Uncle fred, let me tell you all something about how bad it can get. ebay have had Paypal lock $2000.00 of my money where I can't pay my enay feed I am sitting on $1025.00 fees for last month and I can't get to it because they have locked it up. I can,t rund a business like this and I will not be on ebay for much longer because they will mroe than likey want they money from me on 07/23/2011 and I will have to tell them it is all in my paypal account and for them to take it. I have be on ebay from 2001 under the ebay name and I stary in 1997 under a different name and had to give it a break for about 3 or 3 years. to have my busniess shout down for something that they han not given me warning to prepare for is just wrong. I don't know what to do. just wanted to let you know that it can get bad and fast.
Message 26 of 365
latest reply

militaryplus
Enthusiast
I know for a fact that the customer service on ebay is so bad. I have never thought that people would treat me so badly, they jusy don't care and flat tell me there is nothing they cay do and paypal tell me the same but ebay there customer service if they don't know something they will ask you to hold and never com back or drop the call if youask for a manager they will put you on hold right away and guess what NEVER COME BACK. ebay is a great pleace toy sell as long as you do have ebay step in to help you because they are truly usless I beleiver I have called enought to beable to state this. hours and hours . These people is unreasonable. I have heard thing like No, I do have the power to change this put I won't and you can't go anywhere. They won't give you to a manager. you ask for the headquarter number and they tell you they don't have one . than the type in there notes that you a a bad ebayer. I paid these people $1300.00 a month and the don't care if I cancell my account they will tell you that they don't want to see you go but have a nice time. I am a Disable Vietnam Veteran an I get a small disabilty check and this is how I pay my bills . they are putting me out of business and that will be in two days when all the S--t will hit the fand because there fees are due on 04/23/2011. check to see if I am still up and running in a week. If anyone know of any class action please let me know.
Message 27 of 365
latest reply

Hey it's a whine thread.....
Message 28 of 365
latest reply

ducmarc
Enthusiast
It's plain for me as I am not a bank, I don't ship until money clears. Money clearing is helping to pay shipping funds. Incase Ebay hasn't notice, shipping is going up along with everything else. If Ebay keeps this in place, whatever high risk items they are doing this on, people will no longer sell. Ebay cannot expect any Seller to ship first without receiving money. That's like going to the department store, getting what we want and not paying for 21 days. If we are to act as Lender, then Ebay needs to pay the Seller's the interest and not keep it for themselves.
Message 29 of 365
latest reply

valvecoversunlimted
Enthusiast
get a paypal debit card and keep your acount cleaned out

never keep more than $20 in your checking account assoiated with paypal
Message 30 of 365
latest reply