cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SO WHY EVEN BOTHER HAVING A BEST OFFER OPTION?

Hey, sellers! Why do some of you give a "best offer" option with your listings, when you seemingly have no intention of even WANTING a best offer to be made? If you're selling something for $100 for example, and the only best offer that you will take is $99, then what is the point? No potential buyer is going to make an offer on something that's 10 cents less (or whatever) than your asking price, so unless you're willing to knock a few dollars off (depending on the original price of course) why waste both your time and that of buyers? Best offers SHOULD be reasonable, but so should the best offer amount that you're willing to accept.

Message 1 of 133
latest reply
132 REPLIES 132

Re: SO WHY EVEN BOTHER HAVING A BEST OFFER OPTION?

Totally agree! I hate it when something is listed for $25.99 and I submit a decent offer and they come back with $25.98! What's the point?!?! 

Message 121 of 133
latest reply

I only low ball PS5 scalpers.. you know because f**k em.

Message 122 of 133
latest reply

yeah no kidding its so they can charge sales tax and essentially get the same amount they want they know what theyre doing and its super annoying  

Message 123 of 133
latest reply

I just dealt with a seller who had an item listed at 19.99 buy it now with make an offer available. I made 4 offers, all ranging from 15 to 18.99 that were auto declined. Waste of my time. The seller did not seem to understand this and responded that the item was already 20 percent off.  I responded that I was no longer interested.  Not playing those types of games. 

Message 124 of 133
latest reply

added you to the ban list, anyone who expects 50% plus off retail, is a cheapskate profit loss parasite best banned from all stores.

Message 125 of 133
latest reply

just going over this thread has a number of those **bleep**s, openly posting like they're not disgusting crooks ripping off sellers. Sellers have to make a profit, we have families, bills, lives. **bleep** your 50% retail offer, this is retail, im not a wholesaler, and I wont be turned into one by cheapskates.

Message 126 of 133
latest reply

not you personally, but i do hope some of the cheapskates on here take offense, I dont take offers, ebay turns that **bleep** on automatically, so, not my choice.  I price my items fairly, retail prices, usually 5% lower than walmart. soooo, if anyone has a problem with my rates, they can suck it, drive their happy ass to walmart, and buy it there.  I love to tell people who send offers "Go get it at walmart, take it to the cashier, and try your negotiation bull**bleep** there."

Message 127 of 133
latest reply

**bleep** you. i dont have to take any offer from you. **bleep**

Message 128 of 133
latest reply

yup, these cheapskates think their terrible offers, are "best offers" when they want to pay less than the seller did wholesale. **bleep** cheapskates.  We work, we build businesses, we get all the proper licenses, and these cheapskates think they're entitled to even better deals, having done NONE of the work. **bleep** all offers and the people who make them.

Message 129 of 133
latest reply

best thing I ever did, was i dont take offers, I am extremely nice to my paying customers. I am extremely rude to people who make offers.  i swear at them, insult them, call them what they are "Cheapskates" and ban them. because of this, I maintain a 100% feedback ratio and comfortable sustainable sales. I've found, the customers who expect to be treated the best, and who pay the least, are never your best reviews (even if they should be) nope, you give someone a deal, and they will, ever single time, respond with a negative review. like "Thanks for giving me a deal, I'm going to **bleep** you over now!"  like most of the **bleep**s complaining about sellers not taking their offers on here.  best thing any online seller can do, is ban them. I know it hurts to lose one sale, but they'll drive off 10 sales per negative review, commulatively.  they are not just a potential profit loss on that single sale, they actively sabotage your business, drive off other customers, and always come back, expecting even better "deals". the next time, they'll want more off, an even better deal, and respond, with even more nitpicky bull**bleep**. put your foot down. theres like 7 billion of us. no one is special. NO ONE.  

Message 130 of 133
latest reply

🙄🙄

Message 131 of 133
latest reply

Hi lichtpriester, This is a great question. I buy and sell on eBay. For a long time I was also frustrated that a lot of sellers would list their items with the Best Offer option, and then not even consider it, counter offer a few pennies off, and sometimes they'd get offended. Sometimes I got the impression that sellers think that Best Offer means that they expect an even higher price, like "it goes to the highest bidder." But that's what the auction if for, so I really don't get that logic. I think that sometimes sellers don't even realize that Best Offer was actually selected on their listing as an option. Fast forward to June 2021. eBay just did one of their "Awesome upgrades." When I say upgrade, I actually mean downgrade; noted just in case that wasn't evident by my quotes. Anyway, I found out by a potential buyer making me a very low offer on an item that I never placed a Best Offer option on. After digging around, I found that eBay is now automatically adding this option to everyone's listing. And it's actually pretty sneaky how this is done. When you are filling out a new listing, you have to click on a tab (never had to do this before) to reveal/open the Auction Type section of the page wider to find the Best Offer button already checked. You then have to uncheck it if you don't want to offer a Best Offer. Also to note, the best offer dollar amount is also pre-loaded with a ridiculously low price; so much lower than any coherent human being would ever accept. And like I said, you have to actually click on an extra tab to reveal this feature and price being pre-loaded. I bet tons of sellers have no idea about this yet. Then when you finish your listing, eBay gives you 3 more annoying pop-ups to click out of trying to get you to reconsider their stupid selling options that you already did not choose, including...yes, the Best Offer option. Even worse, I have also discovered that I have to keep going back into my active listings because eBay keeps turning the best Offer option back on; WHAT!!! Yes, it's true. In summary, at least lately it may not be of the seller's choosing to add Best Offer on their listing. As always, whenever eBay comes up with a new program or scheme, it is forced on us, instead of it being optional. Let's face it, no seller want to lose money selling anything anywhere. If I have to sell items at a loss, then there is no point in selling at all. Like another eBayer noted, if the selling price is too low, it would be cheaper to throw the item in the trash.

Message 132 of 133
latest reply

dkgoose83
Adventurer

I’ve realized when i’ve viewed items on ebay i get an email from ebay with an offer? are the sellers even aware that ebay is sending out these offer emails?

Message 133 of 133
latest reply