cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAMS committed by eBay Sellers

Be a wise buyer. Learn how to avoid seller scams:

be-scam-smart.gif

Scammers are on the lookout for unsuspecting eBay buyers. Novice buyers are especially susceptible to being scammed. As a buyer, there are a few things that you should always do:

1. Buy only from sellers with at least a feedback score of 50 and 99% positive rating.
  2. Verify item is eligible for PayPal's buyer protection program.
  3. Use PayPal for payment.
  4. Use a credit card to fund the PayPal payment.
  5. Require shipping insurance for expensive items.

Just doing these five things will protect buyers from most sellers' scams. For expensive items, examine the seller's feedback more closely.

Fraudulent Item Scam

This scam is quite simple. The scammer will list something they don't have. Usually the item is expensive such as a digital camera. When the buyer pays for it, the scammer takes the money and disappears. Always use PayPal for purchases as the buyer is protected against non-receipt of the item. Make sure the amount of the protection covers the final price of the item.

Counterfeit Item Scam

Knockoff products are everywhere and eBay is no exception. Tiffany and Co. has publicly stated that 75% of all Tiffany products sold on eBay are fake. Jewelry, designer handbags and celebrity signatures are examples of categories full of counterfeit items. I have seen fake plastic Canon cameras intentionally designed to look like expensive professional cameras. It is buyer beware situation and buyers need to know exactly what they are buying. The seller actually may not realize that they are selling a knockoff product.

To protect yourself from receiving counterfeit products, do some research. There is a lot of information on the web offering tips on how to detect a counterfeit. Always use PayPal for your purchases. The buyer protection policy provides protection when the item is not as described.

Shill Bidding Scam

This type of activity occurs more often than eBay likes to admit. Instead of listing an item with a reserve price or a high starting price, the scammer will list the item with a low starting bid. When a buyer bids on the item, the scammer will use another account to shill, or bid up the item. If the buyer has placed a proxy bid, the shill will keep bidding until the proxy bid is exceeded. Now the scammer knows the value of your proxy bid. The shill will then retract the bid and with a different shilling account, bid right up to your maximum proxy amount. The effect of shill bidding is the buyer will pay more for an item than they normally would.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to detect shill bidding. You can check the current bid history to see who is bidding on the item. Then check if any of the current bidders have bid on other items from the same seller. If you notice unusual bidding activity, then there may be shill bidding occurring.

Fake Escrow Site Scams

This scam typically involves very expensive items like cars and big screen TVs. The scammer tries to lull the buyer into a false sense of security by suggesting to use an escrow service. Unfortunately, the escrow service suggested is completely fake and is operated by the scammer. Fake escrow sites look very authentic and the domain names look similar to real escrow site names. Once you send the money to the fake escrow site, the scammer takes your money and disappears.

The only escrow site recommended for use by eBay is www.escrow.com    Don't use any other site. If a buyer or seller recommends using a different site, it is probably a scammer trying to rip you off

Hijacked Account Scam

Scammers are on the lookout to hijack the accounts of sellers with good feedback. Once the scammer has access to an unsuspecting seller's account, they use the account's excellent feedback to scam buyers. The scammers will list high-end expensive items and disappear with the buyer's money.

The scammers need to use dormant accounts otherwise the true owner of the account will notice the fraudulent listings appear. Check the seller's feedback to see if the account has been dormant. See if the current listings are consistent with the items sold in the past. If an account is suddenly selling plasma TVs when only children's books were being sold in the previous month, then the account may have been hijacked.

Be suspicious of listings that only use stock photos for expensive items. While a scammer can steal someone else's pictures as use them, most don't even bother and will use a stock photo provided by eBay. Ask the seller to send you a picture of the serial number or some other unique feature of the item. If the seller is unwilling to do that, you may be better off looking elsewhere.

Blame the Shipper for Damaged Item Scam

Unscrupulous sellers that have broken or damaged goods try to unload them on unsuspecting buyers. The scammer will claim the item is in excellent condition in the item listing. Usually only stock photos of the item is used. When the buyer receives the item, the scammer will claim it was damaged in shipping. An insurance claim will be filed with the shipper. If you are lucky, you will get your money back from the insurance.

PayPal may or may not honor a claim for damaged goods if it was uninsured. If PayPal rejects your claim, call your credit card company to reverse the charges.

Unsolicited Offer to Purchase An Item Scam

You may receive an offer to buy the item after you have just lost the auction. Sometimes these offers look like second chance offers from the seller of the original auction. In reality, they are scammers trying to steal your money. The scammer will insist that you make the purchase outside of eBay and will offer you a discount for doing so. Unfortunately, you won't be covered by eBay or PayPal’s buyer protection program for transactions outside of eBay. Once the scammer has your money, they will disappear and you will receive nothing in return. Never accept unsolicited offers to buy outside of eBay no matter how cheap it sounds. If it is too good to be true, then it is.

Fake eBay transaction using Email

This is a variant of the unsolicited offer to purchase an item scam. The scammer will contact you with an offer to purchase an item. Instead of trying to get you to purchase the item off eBay, the scammer will try to win your confidence by running the transaction through eBay. The scammer will claim this will protect both the buyer and seller.

Instead of listing the item on eBay for you to purchase, the scammer will send an official looking email that appears to be a completed transaction on eBay. Satisfied that the buyer is protected by eBay, the victim sends the money to the scammer. Often the email will instruct the buyer to wire money directly to the scammer. Whenever a seller wants you to wire money, it is most likely a scam. Once the scammer has your money, they will disappear.

Always verify eBay transactions on the eBay website. Don't click on any links in the email as the link could point to a spoofed site. Go to the eBay website yourself and enter the item number into the search box. If it is a valid transaction, the appropriate listing will appear.

"When you have the choice to be right or be kind, always choose being kind."---Wayne Dyer
Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

I believe that I have fallen victim four (4) times to a scam perpetrated by eBay Sellers on unsuspecting eBay Buyers.

Here is the scam; eBay Buyer purchases item advertised as "new" or "nearly new" by eBay Seller. Item is portrayed in photos that cleverly conceal the damaged area or are "stock photos".  The Buyer receives the item and finds it is quite defective.

eBay Seller refuses to accept return and insists that eBay Buyer make a claim with the United States Post Office or UPS Insurance Department. If the Buyer leaves negative feedback against that eBay Seller; eBay removes it and thereby protects these Sellers.  These Sellers have only highly recommended feedback allowed; even when it is known that the Seller has frequent "package damage" and insurance claims.

This has happened to me  four times; shame on me.  I am going to stop shopping eBay.

Message 16 of 69
latest reply

I was scammed by the seller Shada118 and my resolution center case is stuck on hold for months now. And to top that not only no one from Ebay is helping me get my money back, but they allow the seller to scam more people and are constantly deleting my posts here about that. Awful managment, no wonder Ebay is being left in the dust by its competitors.

Message 17 of 69
latest reply

Appears to be a huge increase of new sellers (zero feedback) listing popular items well below normal price points. Looks like a data mining operation. eBay appear to be monitoring the situation but as quick as items are removed they seem to re-appear under a new seller. 

Message 18 of 69
latest reply

IT WAS A YEARS AGO . IN JUNE.21.2016. EBAY CHEATING MY WATCH.  AND PRESENTED TO THE BUYER A SCAM. STEALING BY EBAY WITH BUYER. SCAMMERS .

Message 19 of 69
latest reply

Talked about beware of sellers, why not suggest to way to avoid fraud buyers?

Most case I expereienced were from fruad buyers on eBay.

Too many nowadays.

Message 20 of 69
latest reply

Ebay's lax attitude to the scams through its systems which must account for millions and millions of lost personal wealth is frankly disgusting, hiding behind terms and conditions rather than taking action against those we can demonstrate are fraudulent is very poor service, we have ourselves been defrauded and find the system lacking. Even the UK HMRC are persuing Ebay and others fo effectively encouraging the fraudulent use of the systems the lack of action indicated a general apathy from Ebay in relation to these issues and the process needs to change.  Some simple changes would make many aspects far safer. https://www.quotemaid.com/scammers/anthony-bruce-scammer/   Russ Kirk Lunatek 

Message 21 of 69
latest reply

I notice this too, how all negative feedback seems to "vanish" for "Powersellers." I was just sold a refurbished BluRay player that the seller claimed was "brand new." I am also distancing myself from ebay. People are disgusting and greedy.
Message 22 of 69
latest reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRu6tL9Mcs

ebay is being accomplice in this SCAM
Message 23 of 69
latest reply

I have experienced that scam, too. You're not alone.

Message 24 of 69
latest reply

Also when purchasing a “new” item, make sure this seller is a verified seller through the manufacturer!! Otherwise the manufacturer warranty which is usually much longer then eBays 30 day warranty becomes null and void! I wouldn’t purchase new items on eBay at all! Double check by calling the manufacturer in all sales if new!! I got screwed with this. 😡

Message 25 of 69
latest reply

The "shipped" scam pizzes me off. Seller makes a shipping label so Ebay marks it as shipped. I've had items not actually shipped for days. And ebay doesn't allow feedback on shipping because it " met" their shipping guidelines.
Message 26 of 69
latest reply

Is that so?

How about the seller that sent me a coin in the mint packaging clam box, which is quite heavy, only for me to discover in my inventory months later there was no coin but just an empty clam box in mint packaging.  They even left out the COA which was in the pictures. All I got was the clam box and a stinkin' deal that the seller was hoping for...that I missed checking the box because I bought others from other sellers and though it was in there. It was haevy enough to fool me. They even took the capsule. Empty box is all I got---anyone want to buy the box?...I hope they had bad luck after doing that to me.

How about the seller who pilfered $30 off me a few years ago by listing a token coin made of brass saying it was .999 pure silver. It's not pure silver as stated by seller and noted in my inventory. The coin shoppe near me says it's brass.

Shall I tell you more stories of sellers? They love to ship you empty packages. Then the fun begins with time wasted on arguing in emails about it.

They claim they sent it when it was an empty envelope.

How about the time I tried to sell some top of the line genuine stuff and the SEO never found me. Out of 20 items none sold BUT I still owed 11 bucks listing fee.

I have lost so much money on eBay that it gives me nightmares.

And for a laugh- one seller sent me an item in an inside out cereal box. The item was a fraction of the size of the thin box and was wrapped in newspaper. **bleep**?

Sellers are misleading and will do it often if they think they can get away with it.

The only way you can make money on eBay is if you got the item for free. Otherwise it's not worth the price of the gas to the post office or the time spent from beginning to end of the listing.

It's good for a buyer like me to be a minimalist as I sell off everything. I am thinking of avoiding eBay altogether.

Message 27 of 69
latest reply

Selller has item listed through ebay then orders item through Amazon which is charging a lower price. Then i get what i ordered from Amazon with a gift reciept for what they list the item for. 

Message 28 of 69
latest reply

Good info about scammers. Thankfully there are a lot more legit sellers on eBay than on most other similar organizations, or rather, eBay copiers. eBay is definitely by far the best, by careful reviewing all sellers, and by also having a great staff always helping the buyers who just want a square deal.
Message 29 of 69
latest reply

I am interested in the scams where the seller, prints and even pays for a label, and the tracking shows a pre shipmant, but never makes it to e Post Office. Now I read here on this forum that the post office misses scans, and that the package shows up without ever being scanned at anytime by the PO or is only scanned upon delivery to the buyer. I have had packages go missing or not delivered , but I can only recall this happining  twice. Both times , i had insurance and the Post Office settled my claim and I never lost any money.  On the other hand, it seems to me that I have suffered more losses and stress at the hands of dishonest sellers and buyers than at any doings from any shippers. I think that ebay can have a policy that ,until the shipper showes the item being received, under the acknowlegement of the shipper, that an item should remain in an unshipped statis. This would help a little. I think the information that has been shared here on this forum is also very helpful. 

Ebay shows itself, sometimes as being naive. It encourages people to work things out, sometimes it can be worked out if a genuine mistake occurs, but you can't work things out with a scammer. I have never, ever, had the post office miss a scan on every movement thru its system, I don't print my label online, so I have experience with them where this method of shipping is used. I am beginning to feel that maybe I need to shop on the online stores, and not use ebay anymore. In fact one scammer gave a feedback that said " buyer needs shop at walmart, ebay is not his place". In some ways he may be right. Its is like cagefighting at times, and ebay has to referree often. Every time you search ebay you have to spar your way thru all the mix and try to figure out if your gonna get what you pay for , or get paid for what you sold. Its like you have to run a credit check, in a metaphorical sense, on every buyer and seller. It is too much of a **bleep** shoot, and I don't think it needs to be. I look to ebay itself, lord knows they charge enough, to come up with better solutions to these on going problems.

Message 30 of 69
latest reply