cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any scams on buying a travel trailer?

Got a woman who listed on craigs list out of IN. Has moved to ME. Says she has the purchase and shipping arrainged with ebay. Is this fishy smell just paranoia?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Maya is still in Billings and the trailer is still "at the eBay." Why do these scams not get prosecuted?

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

@tigerpilot 

Why do these scams not get prosecuted?

Individuals can be prosecuted, scams are just techniques.

As long as people are willing to send money to a stranger with a throw-away email address, or a text gift card codes to a one-time phone number, the actual scammers are able to hide their identities, avoid prosecution and continue scamming.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ebay+motors+warehouse+scam&newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=AL...

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

Always check the VIN number with a VIN Decoder.  That's always helped me.

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

It is.  Someone is always selling it for their aunt, sister, mother, etc.,  it's always at the eBay center in Billings Montana and they will only take some type of gift cards for payment.  I almost fell for it myself awhile back.

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

Oddly, they never seem to depart from their tried and true methods.  I was looking for a trailer and found a beauty on craigslist, but the NJ phone number didn't line up with the stated location.  I searched the web for the trailer description and came up with an ebay listing with the exact same pictures, but the listing was closed in Sep 2020.  That seemed strange.  Meanwhile I had already texted the craigslister that I was interested.  Now someone with a different name emailed me the below, which sounds a lot like all the others.  They seem to use the same formula: urgency, can't talk cause they're busy, military, located where you can't see them, free delivery thru military, Ebay holds your payment, 5 day inspection period, all the papers are in order, and God bless.  The other tell is that they really overexplain themselves so that everything is in perfect order, or so it seems.   Well I thanked Elizabeth and told her I had an ID card and actually lived close to Andrews AFB, which is true, and that I would show up with my F-350 and $1K in cash.   I suppose her next email will state that it's already wrapped up at MilCargo hold.  I think I'll ask her if she wants to go for lunch. 🙂

--------------

Hi, My name is Elizabeth. I apologize for the delay, I'm at work and I have a very busy schedule. About my 2020 eagle Cargo 7x10 Motorcycle Package 2 bike black. This eagle Cargo trailer is in great shape. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, one owner, It's 10' Tall (TB Size) and 7 Wide. Purchased in November of 2019 and used only a few times.

If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers also a buy-sell contract already signed by me, and a clear title.

I’m currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Air National Guard Readiness Center (ANGRC), based at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. I’m stationed on a military training facility. The trailer will be delivered from here. It is stored in a military compound.

I have dropped my price to $1,000.00 (purchase price) including delivery and handling to your address, since this is an Urgent Sale. (Please note: All locations are not in the free shipping area). The price has been reduced because my unit will be sent back overseas to replace and help the troops scheduled to come home this year, and I don't want it get old in a storage garage for 24 months.

Finding a buyer for urgent sales, I don’t want to waste more time negotiating price. I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the trailer, to be sure that I don’t waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions.

If everything works fine, then it will be delivering free of cost through a military transportation service to a designated location of your choice, average delivery time is 2-4 business days, depending on destination.

If you want to continue the purchase, I will post it on eBay, and I will send you the link where you can buy it very easy without an account or something hard. You will pay on eBay, and they will hold your payment until you receive and inspect the trailer. You will get 5 days inspection period after get deliver the trailer on your address and eBay will release the money to me ONLY with your approval.

If you are ready to buy it and you have the cash available, please reply with your zip code and phone number. I need to verify if I have free shipping in your area.
I'll wait for your reply
Thank you and God Bless!

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

I just posted a comment regarding an attempted trailer scam on me.  But I've bought a legit F-350 thru Ebay with no problems from a Fleet reseller.  Ebay handled the transaction through the web site via a deposit, I flew down to NC to inspect and pick up the pickup so to speak, and it's been a great ride ever since.

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

Tell tell sign is a little too much over explaining from them so that the whole story is nicely wrapped up.  Just the wording smells like a scam.

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

Cause they're probably in Nigeria.

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

I got an answer from Elizabeth.  She writes:

Elizabeth Re <elizabatr78@gmail.com>

I'm a flight attendant at American Airlines and I will not be able to deal in person, because I'm away most of the time. Before leaving I had arranged everything with eBay so my presence is not necessary. The trailer is located at eBay Shipping Center in Hale, MI sealed and ready for delivery. Will be delivered free of charge through an eBay service to a designated location of your choice, average delivery time is 2-4 business days, depending on destination. Finding a buyer for urgent sales, I don’t want to waste more time negotiating price. Please do NOT waste my time unless you have funds already.

If you want to continue the purchase, I will post it on eBay, and I will send you the link where you can buy it very easy without an account or something hard. I have 100% feedback on eBay. You will pay on eBay, and they will hold your payment until you receive and inspect the trailer. You will get 5 days inspection period after getting deliver the trailer to your address. eBay will release the money to me ONLY with your approval.

If you are ready to buy it and you have the cash available, please reply with your zip code and phone number. I need to verify if I have free shipping in your area.
Thanks

---------------------

Wait, yesterday she said she was on active duty with the ANG.  Now she's a Flight attendant with American.  And she is away almost all the time, but she has time to read my email.  Cool.  I'm gonna ask her to put it on ebay.

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

This is the message I received. I sent my name, address, phone, and email address to her. Then I decided to check for scams because $1,200 for a primo trailer is very odd, especially for a military person selling it. Military people are definitely NOT stupid to sell their trailer for $1,200 when it’s worth about $18,000 used. Boom! I discovered it was a scam. Even used the SAME wording and price as other versions of the scam. I told her I sent her email to Facebook and eBay security. No more contact. Made no financial transactions. Here is her email. See if it sounds familiar to you. LOL
Hi again and thank you that you get back to me,
As I've told you  in my first e-mail, I'm in the army with my military medical team and  right now I am in McChord Air Force Base,WA. We are training, getting ready for  leaving the country. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay services so my presence isn't necessary. The delivery process will be  managed by me. I think I can have it there at your home address within 2-3 working days. It will come with a clear title and reg. You will have 5 days to test and inspect the camper. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested please  include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name,  shipping address (street, city and zip code) and phone number), so we can get the ball rolling.

P.S: I attached you some pictures

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

I just got a similar message as you but regarding a food trailer and she changed her first name 

44505E8F-95CF-4B4D-B1D1-B2C6C2F3E681.jpeg

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

A google search for the exact text "because my husband passed away 2 months ago (he had a heart attack) and brings me bad memories" currently turns up 221 hits:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALeKk00ctQu8bCMeq4M5htBtgLL7cwX1qA%3A161289...

And those are just the instances where someone received that scam letter and felt the need to post the entire text in the process of trying to figure out that it was a scam.

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

I got the same exact email yesterday 

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

SCAM

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

The scam starts on Facebook Marketplace and when you text for more information, the person (using multiple email accounts), then messages you that they have decided to post the trailer on EBay.  It immediately red-flagged when I got the same reply to two different "people" in two different states (NOT) and . . . I was unable to locate either of the two trailers on EBay.

Message 45 of 46
latest reply