cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any scams on buying a travel trailer?

Got a woman who listed on craigs list out of IN. Has moved to ME. Says she has the purchase and shipping arrainged with ebay. Is this fishy smell just paranoia?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Any scams on buying a travel trailer?

florida_stud
Enthusiast

Luckily I checked on Google, which sent me to this thread. And it is almost EXACTLY like the others, my wife saw a ad on Facebook (who are so worried about fake posts but not fake advertisers as that is money in their pocket) And it said that she was posting the ad for her aunt and to contact her via email. Which I did and here is her two responses minus the fake pictures that didn't match the model she gave below:

1. "The  2008 Airstream Ocean Breeze is still available. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been involved in any kind of accidents. ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES at all and I have the clean title in hand. I'm selling it at this final price   $1.000 because my husband passed away 2 months ago (he had a heart attack) and brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job, moved back to my hometown, and many other things have priority now, so, this  Airstream has to go. If you are interested in buying, feel free to email me."

2.  "Hi again,
Thank you for your reply. As I explained in my previous email I was accepted for a new job and I moved to my hometown Minneapolis, Minnesota. I am a regular eBay user and now with this new virus situation I decided to use their services. You will have to pay eBay and they won't give me any money until you receive and test the vehicle for 5 days. The vehicle is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. We also benefit from free shipping, it will be delivered to your address within 3 days and you have a 5 days inspection period to test and inspect it. Please provide me your information (name, address and phone#) so I can register you as the buyer and after that eBay will send you an email with the terms and conditions, with no obligation on buying it and also they will confirm the fact that the transaction is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details. Thank you."

It is amazing to see how much it is almost exactly the same, apparently they don't how to change the words or sentences, so all they can do is copy and paste, which in a way is good for us. Thanks for everyone's info which probably saved me the money.  Of course when you see something that is too good to be true, it probably is and should be taken with a LOT of skepticism. Selling a $30K-$40K trailer for $1000.00 is probably a clue, right? 🙄

Message 46 of 46
latest reply