cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I missing how "best offer" is supposed to work?

Okay. I've made quite a few offers since I started on eBay. But lately, I'm getting ignored more than usual. I made one offer for an item that was $7.50 . I offered them 6.50, definitely not crazy I don't think, and there's always the counter-offer button, which NEVER gets used except by me! That person never responded, but I got an offer for an item I'm selling and they offered $18 from $23. Well, I figure just because I truly need the money right now, I'd counter with $19. That's $1 more. I haven't heard from them yet today.

Anyway, what really threw me for a loop was just this hour, I made an offer on an item for $12 instead of $14. They countered with $20!!! And there's also $10 shipping!! What on Earth are people smoking where they think "best offer" means ANYONE on Earth is going to offer MORE than they're asking!! I never decline offers but yup. Declined for being inconsiderate. I just got the kids daycare bill in, give me a break! I just don't get the whole best offer these days if they never accept. Needed to rant. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

what seller puts best offer on an item less than 20 bucks? my prices are as low as I can go, I have best offer added on very few items.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

EBay has been known to add best offer to a sellers listing without warning. Especially if they use the quick listing tool.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I hear you! I just made an offer OVER the listed price and it was rejected.  To me, "or best offer" means that you offer lower than asking and either they counter or decline.  But if you offer OVER the asking it should work like a "buy it now" option.  If you want a bidding war, just list it as a standard option and set a reserve! What are we doing people?!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@jrober_5651 

Why in the world would you offer more than the BIN price? As a seller, that would send up goofy red flags.

Had I been the seller you offered to, I'd have countered with my BIN price and hoped for the best.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Sellers can put a minimum offer price that automatically rejects any offers below that price. They can also set an upper price that accepts any offers above that price.  Anything in between would have to be approved or rejected by the seller. Some buyers just have a NEED to undercut the asking price and many throw out a ridiculous lowball offer just to see if they can get it.  I get a lot of sales through the Best Offer process. As far as a seller counteroffering with a price over the original price, that's just good old-fashioned jackassery. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I think that how it works on fixed price listings. But a best offer on an auction is for those who don't want to wait. So I believe there, you are being asked to give a higher price. That's how I did some auctions recently
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

You are correct. I apologize for assuming it was a fixed price item. Nothing to see here.  Move along...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

No I totally understand when it's an auction, you want to put best offer so that someone can offer more, to get ahead in the game. But these were fixed price with best offer. These sellers were either being said jackass, or not paying attention, or just hoping for the best. All I know is they have no sales on the item. I wouldn't put best offer on my items if all I wanted was the BIN price. Just makes no sense. Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy! 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

That would be true if they were auctions, which I understand as I've done the same (despite only getting lower offers so far, but I think eBay changed my minimum) but these were fixed price! Makes no sense. No one is going to "offer" more, unless it's maybe for charity and they're well off, but that's a FAT chance. Buyers are just as greedy as sellers, if not moreso. Okay, now I'm just ranting.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply