cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's ever happened to ebay sales?

la200o
Enthusiast
Hi, I've been watching ebay sets for some years now. Used to be the case that there were good sets coming up for sale. Now? Junk. What happened?
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: what's ever happened to ebay sales?

Alan, yes, the board in particular caught my eye. I thought it seemed rather superior to the set itself. From what I've seen, heard, and learned, I suspected it was somewhat of an ordinary set, and that perhaps it wasn't as old as they were claiming, which is what made me wonder about the price. Nothing I can afford at present, so it wasn't even an issue, except to help determine the merits of some set and price in the future, perhaps. Too bad they weren't selling the board separately, I do really like it. Duncan
. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Hi, Duncan. If you want a 19c bone set of that type/design or a barleycorn, I can look out for a cheap one in Portobello they are common enough but not often in good condition. If you are prepared to put up with a few close replacement pawns then £60 will normally secure something acceptable
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Alan, Thanks for the offer- its something I think I'll eventually want to have an example of, collectionwise, someday, and figure that day will eventually come when the price and time and availability are just right, but its also not something I want badly enough for me, or anyone else, to go to any great lengths to obtain- at least not at the moment. Thanks again, though. Duncan
. . .

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

henkhuisgevaar
Enthusiast
The set is sold in the meantime. The board is a top of an early 19th century Italian chess table. I have a complete table in my collection and the top is exactly alike.
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Ah, now that you mention it, that does look more like a tabletop than a board, does make much more sense.
. . .

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Has everybody seen the "toy" set at 220490144306 They do not come up very often. A "toy" set just sold on ebay for over $1,200 Lichess@aol.com
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Same set at 220497157998
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Well, with the relatively recent posting (by Floyd of Lichess) in October, 2009, it brought this interesting question back into the limelight. With the many months (Feb 2009) that have gone by, I wonder if it might not be a topic to discuss again. I will try to make another stab at answering the general question posed at the heading of this tread... (Of course, some of the reasons have already been mentioned in relatively remote past postings.) I think a variety of factors enter the picture: 1.) The world economy. 2.) The technical / official ebay ban of ivory (assuming it is described as ivory by the seller). 3.) Alternate means of buying chess sets. Examples: Bonhams and other auction houses and auctions, Antique shops, "Chess Fairs" (CCI), private sales, Chess websites, (example: the eosef website a great potential source of chess sets and where the prices are reportedly negotiable. "Ogdir" sometimes has posted some of those sets via eBay). And of course there are Flea Markets (where I relatively recently made a good find). 4.) Saturation of the market with a huge variety of sets and collectors might be a little overwhelmed? 5.) A dwindling supply of available "quality" chess sets in the world. (though I have truly believe that there are STILL a number of unique and/or high quality/antique chess sets residing in Grandma's closet...) 6.) Buyers are becoming more educated, savvy, and selective. 7.) The "newness" and excitement of eBay is long gone. Also, things go in cycles... Any other thoughts? I think that this is a good question worthy of further discussion... John, Vermont.
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hi John Up here in Glasgow one struggles to see very much in the way of chess items . For some reason our British media vehicle seem to view all collectables as something you sell . One does wonder if this might not effect new collectors considering purchasing any collectables as they become attracted to the hunt . There us no shortage of advice on the buying of Antiques for investment,and from that view point it is excellent advice if taken heed of. However buying for love seems to be off the discussion menu,and of course as a non collector said to me about his late 19th century English Bone set ............if that is worth only £100.00 I will take to my grave rather than accept that valuation, it has been in my family for years. Also I suspect that Dealers are disappointed with current internet prices, so are holding back on selling their wares. I agree there is plenty for discussion here, as I also agree with your points mentioned. -- Edited by chesspurr at 11/08/2009 8:56 AM PST
Message 24 of 24
latest reply