cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

missed opportunity?

Yesterday I was browsing the newly listed chess set category as I sometimes do. I ran across item # 170043983794. I was browsing at work on a work computer when I should have been working and maybe that's why I didn't see there was a buy it now link. I looked at it again a few hours later and it was gone. I've been kicking myself ever since. Even if this is fake plastic it's an excellent deal and I'd love it forever as the real ivory version of this set is probably something I'll never feel myself able to afford. If by chance this set is real ivory it'll probably haunt my dreams the rest of my life. Does anyone know if there's a common cheap plastic version of this set this could be or what might be going on? The seller looks almost like s/he's trying to set a trap with the whole "I don't know what the heck I'm doing... you might win a great deal" attitude. Still I would have been thrilled to get the set for that price even it was a fake. And what other kinds of scams could a seller with that high a rating have been running? Oh well. I'll just watch closer for a while... but an opportunity like this will probably never come up again.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

missed opportunity?

the house of staunton offer a range of faux ivory sets. these replica sets may be of interest to you.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

missed opportunity?

Thanks chesspurr. I actually have a faux ivory Calvert set from them. It cost a little over $100 new, and I've been kicking myself for buying it lately as they've been putting up reproductions in bone for around that starting bid lately and some have gone by without bids. I'd rather have a bone reproduction than a plastic one. The calvert reproduction is nice; don't get me wrong. But it was $100. Item 170043983794 was under $50 with shipping! It still seems hard to believe. Thanks for the tip on the replica sets.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

missed opportunity?

hi you did not miss it at all. the seller was approached by the buyer for a quick sale. even replica plastic hardly goes that cheap ? two years ago a bakelite set was bought on a buy it now for a stupid price to a european chess dealer. i mailed the seller letting him know it was sold a month later for some $600.00 . his reply was i got more than the buy it now price for the set. that told me something pretty important , buy it now selling stinks. both illegal bidders and sellers engaged in this practice wont ever get bids from me ( the sellers ) friendships ( the buyers ).
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

missed opportunity?

Hi: An auction is a gamble. You win some, you get some bargains, you sometimes over-pay in the heat of the battle, and you lose some. As far as the Faux Calvert set is concerned, don't forget that the fitted box and chessboard are relatively expensive. Plus, I have seen it retail in the UK for 179 Pounds sterling ($350). All the best, Frank
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

missed opportunity?

Thanks Frank, Sorry about my tone relating to the faux Calvert set. I do like the set. It doesn't look at all like ivory up close, and I was displeased with my purchase when I saw bone sets for similar prices. But the fitted box is quite nice, and I use the board with other sets as well; it's the nicest chessboard I own, so it's unfair of me to compare the faux Calvert set in price to sets sold without boards. Also many of the bone sets that aren't selling or are selling for $150-200 on ebay recently are probably, I my opinion, worth more than that.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

missed opportunity?

And thanks again chesspurr (thanks a lot.) When I saw the buy it now had happened I assumed it'd been there before and I must have missed it. Now I know it wasn't ineptitude on my part and I don't feel so bad about the whole thing.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

missed opportunity?

Auctions of all kinds, and particularly chess sets, is always a gamble. Some times you can get a real buy, sometimes you make a mistake and overpay. The answer is to become more knowledgeable, not complain about sellers. Floyd
Message 8 of 8
latest reply