cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth of 1962 Austin Enterprises chess pieces

lissaspence
Enthusiast

My husband works for a property managment company that clears out forclosed homes, he recently ran across a 1962 Austin Enterprises chess pieces and picked it up.  He loves chess so we weren't sure if we wanted to sell it or not and I'm trying to get a little more information on the worth of the set to help us make that decision.  It does have a little bit of damage on the inside of the box. It looks like a mouse chewed on the wood right in the center of the inside of the box and the plexiglass isn't as clear as it could be but other than that it's in good condition.  I can upload pictures later if needed.  Can any of you give me an idea of it's worth? The price ranges I've seen online vary a lot and if it's not worth much we would rather keep it.  If it's hard to evaluate the worth here perhaps someone could point me in the right direction on where to go for having something like this appraised?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Worth of 1962 Austin Enterprises chess pieces

Hello, Lissaspence.

For a complete chess set of such chess pieces in good condition, (despite the damage you describe to the box), the market value does indeed seem to vary. You can see that on ebay itself.

However, there are other locations on the Web, as well as via an occasional yard sale, a flea market, in-person auctions, etc, where the "realized" or asking price can  be significantly less. Over the past 1 - 15 yeas, I have seen prices range from about $300 on up to (perhaps) over $1,000(?)   

And it should be noted that over the years, one see that prices often fluctuate on most vintage and/or antique items, depending on a number of factors. The set is not antique, of course, but it is at least vintage. (The monetary value of old things does not always go up, as much as some sellers, antique dealers, variety stores, booth vendors might like you to think.)

Back in 2002 or so, I wrote an article on that chess set. Thanks to Floyd and Bernice Sarisohn, "curators" of the Long Island Chess Museum (Lichess@aol.com) the article appeared in the CCI (Chess Collectors International) Philadelphia 2002 Convention Program. Perhaps you can contact Floyd and Bernice and obtain a copy of that article?

And finally, if your husband (and you) like it so much, and since he plays chess, I might advice you to just keep it for yourselves - and join the rest of us zany, creative, marvelous, intelligent(?) chess collectors in collecting chess sets? (Did I also happen to slip in the words..... potentially neurotic but FUN and WONDERFUL....?)

:^O

John from Vermont. P.S. Or, if you give me your email address, I could probably dig up a copy of that Program and send you a copy of the article.... But I would also suggest that you still contact Floyd and Bernice.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

lissaspence
Enthusiast

Thanks for your thoughtful response! That is helpful.   My email is lissaspence@yahoo.com

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Lissaspence,

I realize that you have already placed your own chess set up for bid, and that you may have already given up waiting for my personalized actual email response. But I thought you should know I have not been neglectful. 

Before I go and do a re-searching within my old computer files for the document I had written back in 2002, (and/or - in an old fashioned scanning of the article from the CCI Program and then emailing it to you), I had found another way for you to obtain it. Apparently, it is somewhere hidden within these thousands of posted messages within these dozens of topic threads...! 

At my request, one of the (apparently still-living) managers of this chess collector's group (namely one of the co-leaders) is in the middle of trying to find the article, which was placed somewhere in this chess collector's group's postings. And here is the "proof". See the copied and pasted indication from another thread:

Re: The Chess Collectors Knowledge Base  Posted on: Apr 21, 2007 9:38 AM, by member:  r.van.der.veur (130 ) View Listings
NEW ENTRY: Modern Decorative set, USA 1962: The Chess Set that Foiled the Competition...

Maybe.... just maybe.... it will be found before your chess set's bidding ends...!

John (Vermont). 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply