cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheep Counting Thread (lamenting s tyle).

Your wish, Mick, 😉 (per your CCI posted message) is my command. John, VT.
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Sheep Counting Thread (lamenting s tyle).

Yes, Robert. I think it is helpful. I will take a closed look, in a little while, at your sets in that photo album. In the meantime, Robert, if you want to cut and paste (if it is possible) my picture into your photo album, that would be ok with me. Another alternative would be for you to cut and paste my Dieppe (apparently? more of a "GIESLINGEN" set?) into MY paltry photo album... Oh... Robert.... and exactly how MUCH do you like that set? ;-) (Sheepishly going back to counting zzz's before I have to get back up... But maybe I could possibly be counting something else, eh? 😉 Of course, this could all turn into some type of unofficial and (inappropriate? :O) bidding war? I'd first have to check with the local interested parties... could be vely vely intelesting! 😉 (I want a new baby grand piano!) John.
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Robert, Thanks very much for that, most interesting. John, VT, I went back through some old catalogues and found what I think are the original references. When boiled down it seems to be saying that if the knight has a "sea-horse" shape it is probably Gieslingen. A bone set similar to yours can be found in a 2004 catalogue estimated at £3000-£4000. I don't know what it made.I have a feeling that Kristjan might know quite a bit about the provenance of these sets. Mick
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Mick, Thanks. I'll be looking up stuff too. Seems like prices vary somewhat... and of course, it depends on myriad factors... John.
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Hi John Check out a place called New Zealand ,Hint no Auction catalogues necessary. ;) Use google and search for down under ,and then look below that place, and you should find it . Its the place where they filmed " Lord of the Rings ". ]:) Lamb prices to these New zealanders are pretty important . Not sure what these folks know about chessmen !? 😉
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Guy and all... Yup... I followed your lead and saw a Dieppe (Gieslingen?) went for well over $10,000. ($13,000+?) in a 2008 auction (I think it was the one connected with the Boca Raton CCI related auction.) Actually, it is the same one I have seen in the past and I was actually suprised by the winning bid... a tad higher than most of that specific type. But the prices (despite their common element that all seem to be right up there) vary too... depending on a number of factors, I suppose, including condition, size, providence, etc... John.
Message 20 of 28
latest reply

At the Bonhams Chess auction last April 2009 in Knightsbridge. There where two Gieslingen sets: Lot 151: A figural bone "bust" chess set, Geislingen, circa 1780, Sold for £9,000 ($13,500) inclusive of Buyer's Premium, exclusive of sales tax Lot 156: A bone figural "bust" chess set, Geislingen, circa 1780, Sold for £6,600 ($10,000) inclusive of Buyer's Premium, exclusive of sales tax -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 03/05/2010 4:09 PM PST
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Reflections Looking back upon these threads for 3 years, what I've done, Can understand no tears be shed, and some to want to shun - this knightly pawn, who night & day and day & night to some, He's seeked the eyes and ears of all Acknowledged overdone. But thankful for the freedom to (as Press is free o'er here), express one's self in words, not few - to my "friends" over there. At times the feelings from within Are sheepish, that's no lie; But grateful for my Irish kin, His name, well Purr the Guy. And grateful for Antique the Mick, As well as the Baron, (Much different from the "Rick of Ricks") Old name from which he'd run. And then there's Knight, the Alan First, Well, name misspelled, I know... Tis really Prof, The Alan Fersht, A Jaques, not Joke, does glow. But where is Alan Dewey now? That name historic skills - I miss him 'spite the sharp tongue how it stung with wit and quill. For hindsight does show good and bad In each of us, you see... Like CCI, 'Casa - a tad, One big, wide family. Reflects the world, both in and out of Chess, if one did think, Of countries, too, that in a bout, at times, in battles, sink. But times, they change - and yet they don't For Oceans bring anew As Springtime in Vermont brings warmth with sheep and lambs and ewe. So let us join with 'membrance sake the old and new right here To celebrate, not instigate 'spite harsh words that hurt dear. What goes around does come around, Have we learned, some at last? Sweet Songs of Spring bring out a sound Sweet songs, Rascasso, past. So many names could fill this space If one could ponder all, This poem would and could replace all time til' Seasons Fall. So let me end this verse right here Before I go insane, Or maybe some of you'd resign From this chess-like game. John, (almost) Springtime in Vermont
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

As paged knight approaches some jumpy sheep, And night deprives knight of some needed sleep, Self-censor breaks down Towards a CCI Crown, Here's hoping for talk, and friendships to keep!
Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Feeling sheepish, perhaps, after good knight's good sleep, Not hearing a peep or linked chorus; nor Candylab weep. All is forgotten, intended or not.... My Alzheimer's active! (I show it a lot!) The shear delight.. no bleat from the sheep. Seems sounds are so soft; yes, a flock for to keep. Good fences, good neighbors; Leg of Lamb for us all. It ain't even Easter; my stomach does call! So join in this sheepish lamenting. You dare? Ap-pe-tite - she's a-calling. Come all! Do not fear. Bring the wine & some bread here. OH MICK, are you there? Or are you just looking? No words and no swear? I like the percent that you gave - more than ounce; Over 70 - I recall - Quite good show, then a pounce! I love my old "neighbor", yes, even with fence. Forgive my rhymed dueling; my brain is quite dense! John (in wolves' clothing?) 😉
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

(Set to superlative rhyming, timing, and rhythm, sortaspeak...) Bah.......! Feeling a bit little? Sheepish 'bout counting? The many ways... Around your lady? Dealing with whittle; Sleeping? Stout mounting, With some delays... Around your lady? Healing? Belittle? Heaping? Doubt? Bouncing? With no "Hurray"? With your lady? Appealing? Acquittal? Bleeping. Pout? Pouncing! Not quite a lay... With your lady? Santa to the rescue! For those who (thought they) have it all... And now, I think I've seen it all...! "Come one, come all...!") (Before it stalls!) Priced right, at a mere $7,000....! What a buy! http://www.fastcodesign.com/1662399/vibrator-chess-set-makes-you-want-to-bop-the-bishop Sleepless in Vermont. ]:) 😉 John.
Message 25 of 28
latest reply

John, I thought you might need a rest . ;) China has the largest sheep population in the world - 130 million sheep (Australia is second with 115 million). China's sheep are the fat tailed variety and are raised mainly for meat, but also for milk and other dairy products such as cheese and yogurt. Generally the wool quality of these sheep is low, however there are some exceptions You could try counting the New zealand flocks . ]:)
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Guy, Thanks for the info and the suggestion. I finished counting the N.Z.F... and there were exactly... ummm.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Message 27 of 28
latest reply

zzz zzz zzz, zzz zzz zzz, zzz zzz zzz. zzz zzz zzz, zzz zzz zzz, zzz zzz zzz. zzz zzz zzz, zz zz, zzz zzz zzz, zz zz, zzz zzz zzz, zzz zzz zzz, zzz zzz zzz! (...as the thread heading goes.... "Sheep Counting Thread, lamenting s tyle".... otherwise, now known as and seemingly representative of Coma Kamikazee...) Wake me up when the world comes back to life!
Message 28 of 28
latest reply