Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STYLE Staunton chess sets

This is thread to use for Staunton chess sets
Message 1 of 601
latest reply
600 REPLIES 600

Hi, Guy Chesspurr, Alan cpe1991, Mark wisetrout, Kristen Kristjansander, Frank hstuanton and Robert r.van.der.veur I recall several months ago, asking (confronting) an ebay seller (company?) from India. (This is a recounting of that brief true interaction.) He insisted that the original basis / shapes for the staunton design were from India, such as the top of some buildings in India (e.g the staunton bishop) Although I have repeatedly heard and read that the game of chess (or at least an early variation of it) likely had its origins in the India or thereabouts, I had never heard of the staunton design essentially originating in that area. What each of your opinions? Could there be ANY truth to this? Thanks. John, Vermont.
Message 16 of 601
latest reply

No Alan
Message 17 of 601
latest reply

Thanks, Alan cpe1991. 🙂 (I am practicing my briefness.) John, Vermont
Message 18 of 601
latest reply

knight-knight -zzz hi john i cannot say i have heard of such an idea either. however what i can say is your question is chess related , as are mine and alans inputs ..... where are the other inputs ? it seems no matter what chess topic we discuss its ignored by the many .... back to the staunton issue ... the idea of looking at every type of playing set made before the staunton pattern was created ,and then all the staunton makers after 1849 , and study the lot ... is fascinating to me . also of great interest is the issue of less known jaques sets . i have heard that even today the jaques company is rather secretive , and chess historians are denied important information ,which would greatly aid research . trying to get anything worth while on companies like whitty ,british chess company , cutler , and others is none too easy .
Message 19 of 601
latest reply

godopenedherwomb
Enthusiast
chesspur Hello Guy. The Northern Upright sets have some similarites to the Staunton design. Is the Northern Upright design earlier? Brad
Message 20 of 601
latest reply

godopenedherwomb hi brad according to michael mark the upright was produced in the 1840s , so preceeded the staunton by a few years only. what i find interesting is finding out when these sets were no longer produced. i have a bone upright ,and two more in wood ,yet the slender type set appears rather older than my sets. the edinburgh chess club has an early set on display , and i noted last year a similar one at christies sold for some £1500.00 regarding the design .... i am not sure i agree with you as no piece in the early upright sets resembles the staunton pattern in my humble opinion . now if you look at a lyon set and a regence .... you can clearly see the relationship is far more revealing.
Message 21 of 601
latest reply

Hi,Brad, and Guy, I agree with Guy,the Staunton design simply wasn't different enough to other designs which were registered around that period ( e.g. Hallet of High Holbourn) So that a kind of "evolution of design"(please resist the temptation, John).cannot be imposed on it. Regards Alan D.
Message 22 of 601
latest reply

godopenedherwomb hi brad we know the st george was the leading british set before the staunton pattern ,and here i can see no influences at all. this is an area where it becomes fascinating as the creation of the staunton set is considered. when i checked alans link to the 1940s court case of wood vrs jaques ... the claim was a set was made in the 1790s , which assisted wood in winning , as this purported set had staunton influences. i am dammed if i can see any resemblence to a jaques from british sets in the 18th and early 19th century ,and if there was one would have expected to see such a set with a photo in publications at the time of the court case ,and then in chess collectors books afterwards. clearly there may be far more informed experts out there who might be in a better position to offer more information, but i rather doubt they can . so what i am intrigued to know is if the complete staunton design was an origonal idea ,with no influences from any patterns. if this is the case ,then any sets with clear staunton influences ,even in part ,must be later than 1850 ....
Message 23 of 601
latest reply

Brad Jaques fits your religious convictions. The 1849 Staunton set was created and did not evolve. The subsequent generations of Jaques sets did evolve from the 1849. Alan
Message 24 of 601
latest reply

Good Monday morning, y'all. Alans, (chessspy & cpe1991)... regarding your comments, 🙂 to you! (I like the banter!) Chesspurr and Brad... heck... ok, I'll include the Alans too!... Good dicussion of the actual topic! So you "guys" and "non" guys... as well as wise guys still deserve a happy face! John, Vermont. (No need for reams of paper here, eh?) 🙂
Message 25 of 601
latest reply

Hi, All, I think this was all decided in a court case concerning Jaques and B.H. Wood. wasn't it?
Message 26 of 601
latest reply

Hi, All, I'm asking around for info on the above, There was a court case between Jaques and CHESS over an ad that appeared on the covers of that magazine in 1937. You can view them at, http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter08.html I'm trying to track down something on the "small vegetable ivory" set that Hammond offered in evidence. More later (hopefully) Alan D.
Message 27 of 601
latest reply

For a little while now I've seen what appears to be a pretty high quality brass Staunton set pop up 220116269638 in identical listings over and over. The BIN price appears to have just gone up but is quite cheap for this sort of set. Photos are identical down to a closeup of damage to the board. Does the seller have a whole batch of mass produced sets all with the same damage to the board? I've asked the seller about it and recieved no response. I would have tried buying one of these, but I've been buying probably too many sets recently and Bloomsbury is upon us anyway. I think it's more likely the seller is lazy than at all shifty, but the multiple copies of identical listings with damage showing raises a red flag for me.
Message 28 of 601
latest reply

ne0romantic hi ty with metal sets its wise to assume the worst me thinks . i suggest you are correct ,and he has a number to punt to buyers on the bay.
Message 29 of 601
latest reply

Hi,Ty, From the box it is clearly new, there are plastic Calvert style sets available for $100 in a similar box, (I bought one from The Chess Shop in London). Also Studio Anne Carlton used to sell a slimmer version in the mid 80s for £30. I see no reason to think it's not a modern mass produced set, I think that it looks quite good, and if someone wanted one ,I'm sure a look around the internet chess set suppliers would soon find a cheaper source. Regards Alan D.
Message 30 of 601
latest reply