cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Russian / Soviet Chess sets

Soviet Union is known to be the country with most supported chess playing activities for over than half-century, a kind of a chess-paradise. This of cause caused manufacturing a lot of different chess sets by hundreds of factories. Did anybody go deeper into this aspect? Do any catalogs exist for this area?

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Russian / Soviet Chess sets

Bulkcover, did you receive the images?

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Kristjan....... Ummmm.....

Interesting and very, very nice theme chess set in that link.

(But did you mean for that article to include some other things? I am not sure if we all should say "Thank You - or Egad...!) 😮

It has been decades since the inside of a confessional booth has been seen. But there just might be some time left before Sunday Morning.... 😉

John, Vt.

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

"Lewis Carroll" chess set in the link os of course the amazing handmade unique piece of art. I am unable to comment it deeper.

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

Today I have listed specifically several Soviet chess sets on eBay.

Those who would like to keep the images for own data-base or elsewhere may as well do that - I give the "carte blanche" permition.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=chess+set&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_ipg=200&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=bulkc...

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

Ha-ha there  was a question from the Knight... I mised this... my apologies. No I did not get the images either.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

A set similar to mine (see pictures in the 2nd page)

http://www.osta.ee/en/1952-a-malelaud-kasitsi-nikerdatud-malenditega-68870660.html?_src=search

Go ahead if you want it.

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Answering the question with 4(!!!!) years delay... now I am rare guest here and looks like after all eBay has changed with the groups, they have finally killed them...

so the question were

I just purchased a Soviet set made in Belorussian town of Bobruysk by the Mebel'naya Artel' im. Osipenko (Obllesdrevpromsoyuz, Rabochaya 22). The factory exists today as well under slightly different name. Could anybody help to date the set or has seen another like it? Most probably it dates to 1950-1970 but might have been made in the 2nd part of the 1940s as well.

Bulkcover?

My reply is that I believe that so primitively manufactured set and as the box looks like, there must have been either late 1940s or 1950s...

I do not have the similar set in my hand, but practice shows that 1960s and newer USSR chess sets are uusually better done and are more accurate design than these, so I would date them about 1945-1955...

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd reply anyway. I bought a few old Russian/Soviet sets a few years ago and enjoy them, but in the last few years I have turned to making my own. I've scoured eBay and Etsy for design possibilities and have found fertile ground. I enjoy eastern European designs, especially earlier (pre-1920) designs. Currently I'm working on a set that is probably pre 1920 Russian.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply