cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please introduce yourself

Welcome dear Chess Collector, Each new member should introduce himself here. In your post, describe a little of your background and how you found your way to chess collecting. Feel free to read everyone's posts and reply to a couple if you find them interesting. Kind regards, Robert van der Veur -- Edited by kristjansander at 07/19/2007 2:16 AM -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 4:27 AM -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 7:46 AM
Message 1 of 203
latest reply
202 REPLIES 202

tsst12
Enthusiast
I'm a tournament chess player from Colorado listed in the top 100 chess females in the US, also a chess author and chess coach. I write lots of chess articles.
Message 166 of 203
latest reply

Hello tsst12, Welcome to our little group. It is particularly nice to see someone else from the beautiful state of Colorado. You are more than welcome to contact me directly at: noybear@hotmail.com. We probably have much to discuss beyond playing skills unless you need someone to beat with minimal time and effort on your part ? I would also like to connect directly because of your writing. Enjoy, Clay Neubert
Message 167 of 203
latest reply

Hi I am newbie to chess collecting -reside in Chicago and hoping that I can receive some advice on Staunton chess pieces - m trying to replicate a set I purchased in South Africa in early 1970's
Message 168 of 203
latest reply

Hi sorry - forgot to sign my post - my name is Ashley and while I have been an ebayer for a number of years stumbled accross this site while googling Ashley
Message 169 of 203
latest reply

Hello, Ashley and welcome. Do you mean you want to makethe set or to buy another like it ? Either way, I'm sure there are people here who could help - but a photo of the set you have in mind would be 'essential'!
Message 170 of 203
latest reply

wicked.sick
Enthusiast

Hi Guy's

My names Steve a 35 yr old new collector from Scotland, been interested in the game of chess since I was a kid and eventually ended up playing at club level for a few years up until.

I don't make the time to play full games regularly anymore but still love playing a bit of blitz online.

Only recently have I stumbled ito the world of set collecting ( I was actually just looking for a large cheap playing set ) as I thought I might start playing some full length games again using the internet or chess by post/email and replicating the game on a physical set instead of being glued to the fritz interface for hours at a time.

Anyhow instead of doing this I got into looking at some antique/vintage sets on the ebay and after doing a bit of reading on styles & pattern's of sets I realised that the collecting side of things interested me greatly and chess set collecting wasn't solely the domain of the super rich who have thousands of pounds / dollars to throw around.

I've used ebay a lot over the years despite having only recently signing up myself I'm only too aware of the unscrupulous tactics, misleading photo's, half truths & concealed information that some sellers resort to increase the value of items.  This lead me to do more & more research into the items and descriptions that were being offered up which in turn resulted to me ending up finding and joining this group which having read many of the threads has quickly sharpened up the sort of things I should be checking for when evaluating sets.

I've only bought two sets so far both Staunton pattern, one a vintage JJ & Sons weighted set with the original mahogany box & label and the other a charming antique boxwood & Ebonised set c1890 - 1920 with 4 1/4" Kings unknown maker, these sets cost me £45 & £100 respectively & am happy with my purchases (will stick up some photographs when I get a chance).

I would have had another nice vintage Lardy Tete's Fine set from the 50's / 60's which was mint in it's original box but was caught out in the dying minutes by the seller not accepting bids from zero feedback users, was kind of annoyed about that but alas what can you do.

Well I've twittered on long enough, peace out for now & thanks for another invaluable resource to draw on.

So long & thanks for all the Fish.

Steve

Message 171 of 203
latest reply

Hello, Steve. As you say, you can make a collection at any price level. it certainly doesn't have to be an expensive set to be enjoyable.

Look forward to seeing your sets: everybody starts with just a few! A number of collectors use Picasa to host photos - mine can be seen here: https://picasaweb.google.com/102034963874507604520/NewToPicasa#

Those are newly photographed sets; click on the blue in the top line of writing to get to my other albums and click there. There are various links to other collectors sets on the right hand side - and each will have its own links to explore!

Message 172 of 203
latest reply

Welcome to the gorup, Steve!

Message 173 of 203
latest reply

Yes, Steve ("wicked.sick".... I liked your ebay name / "handle") ...

As the others have said, welcome to the group! I see that you are from the Scotland area of Great Britain - a place where at least a couple of other chess collectors reside!

Glad to see your postings and input on things, especially / including the ones on the "warning... misdescribed" chess sets thread.

Looking forward to seeing more postings from you - including any possible "Attention: good buys(?) - and any other positive comments from you on such threads and others.

We need new blood in this group, and you seem to fit that need!

Ciao! (JohnnyBeSickHimself) 😉 in Vermont 

Message 174 of 203
latest reply

wicked.sick
Enthusiast

Cheers for the welcome guy's, looking forward to participating in the group.

Message 175 of 203
latest reply

Thanks for welcoming me to the group. A bit of advice please, I am looking for a chess set and board to give my adult son. I would prefer something vintage or antique in a classical style and size. Do any of you members have such to sell. I hope that this is a proper forum for this question.

Message 176 of 203
latest reply

Hello folks,

I'm John, hurtling towards my 7th decade on the planet and recently rediscoved a love for chess, playing daily with my step-son.

The 'old set in the attic' couldn't be found and I bought a set or two from eBay. That was fatal. I fell into the daily trawl and - having read far more than I expected to - realised I 'needed' a proper old set.

I sold some stuff that had been gathering dust for a while and took the plunge in bidding for a weighted Jaques set last weekend (item 320843776672). You can judge for yourself if I paid too much, but I've been grinning ever since. It's a joy to behold and handle.

What have I got myself into?

Cheers, John

Message 177 of 203
latest reply

John,  Welcome to you. I did things the other way round - started collecting a few sets, then went back to playing after 30+years lay-off, whilst still buying sets.

I would give up collecting now, if I were you - either that or buy a few new cupboards or a new house!

A few collectors (including some here) have photographed our sets and put them up on the web in Picasa albums (or the like) - they're a good place to start looking. Here's a link to mine:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

From there you can get to other collectors sites and so on.

Regards,

Message 178 of 203
latest reply

Thanks for the welcome corptaxman, but it's too late, the beast has got a hold of me 🙂

That link was incomplete but I searched and found your photos and had a good mooch. The F.H.Ayres examination was most enjoyable.

I don't have much but I reckon I'll start a Picaso album myself. I'll post up the link soon.

Cheers, John

Message 179 of 203
latest reply

Well that didn't take long. My first attempt....

https://picasaweb.google.com/106891515994002508996

Message 180 of 203
latest reply