cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

French chess sets in Strouhal

I do hope that Ernst Strouhal will not be upset that I have copied from his book!
At the time I purchased the book (jan 2000) I had contact with Ernst, but I lost all information how to reach him.
So I do not know how to ask him permission at the moment.

But maybe it triggers people to get a specimen of one of the best books on chess pieces ever made.
The language is German, but even if you can't read that, it is a must have book!
There are 3 or 4 editions, but only 2 are good enough quality, as Ernst Strouhal told me:
- Strouhal 1996, acht x acht ~ Zur Kunst des Schachspiels, Springer Verlag, ISBN 3-211-82775-7
- Strouhal 1996, Schach ~ Die Kunst des Schachspiels, Nikol Verlag, ISBN 3-933203-25-2
Best quality is the original from Springer Verlag, but I have seen it only once offered.
The other is offered quite a lot, and achievable for a low price.

And much better as Keats, which makes many mistakes when it comes to these sets.
To start with: in a note on page 22 he says:
In 19th century French design was advertised as Régence, however the St.George name has become accepted as a name for this design.
I think he was mixed up with the "old English" pattern.

In the book of Strouhal you will find a nice series of 6 pictures (nbrs 111-116) of French chess sets!
Ernst Strouhal tells us that these sets were made in several workshop in Paris, Lyon and Rouen.

It starts with a set very alike the set in Encyclopedie d'Alembert.
Here is a thumbnail of the design sheet: Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
In this set the bishop is the smaller piece with cut edges on top collar.
That way it has been described in Encyclopedie d'Alembert, although in the design sheet (see above) they do not follow our normal convention, but have: King-Queen-Knight-Bishop-Rook-pawn.
I do not know how to call this set: I always thought that this type was meant with "Directoire set", but obviously it isn't; it is older anyway.
It is related to the Régence, could be a predecessor of it.
It could be called "Early Régence" (or "Predecessor Régence").
But a better naming convention is welcome!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Next is a Régence set with abstract knights.
Here is where all discussions start!

Of course also a Régence set with headed knights.
Certainly of later date as the sets above.
We would love to know when the heads have been inroduced!

This is type-1 Lyon set. Although the picture shows a less common example.
Note that King and Queen of this one do not have discs, or even trace of that!

This is type-2 Lyon set.
It looks like later Mexican wooden/bone sets have been inspired with these.
Keats, on page 225 (nr 271) list one as Mexican, derived from the St.George bulbous design. 3 mistakes here in my opinion!

He ends with the set, discussed earlier with the Darlow book.
http://www.tykroll.com/darlowdiagram.jpg

In literature these sets are described as having the "cleft-headed" knights.
See Keats figure 140, Mackett-Beeson fig 17 or the picture below from Strouhal.
Note that Keats refer to it as "Lyon", again a mistake I believe.
His number 141 set, is probably a Danish set. But I'm not sure about that.
Interesting that Darlow is the only one telling otherwise:
- the larger piece with cap is the knight and
- the smaller piece with that shielded finial ("cleft-headed"), is the bishop
Who can/should be believed here?
For time being I assume Darlow is wrong and the next picture is OK.

With thanks to Ernst Strouhal, Joost van Reij
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: French chess sets in Strouhal

Fou = advisor to the king! ha! that's good stuff, should be in the joke corner. Regarding other sets with knights that resemble French bishops and bishops that resemble French knights, I think the reason for this is the confusion we've all had this week. Darlow points out one of these examples regarding a German bishop which resembles a French knight explaining he believes the German carver was influenced by the French sets... but confused about which piece was which!
Message 16 of 32
latest reply

It's not that funny: from Wikipedia: "Sous l'ancien régime et au Moyen Âge, un fou était un personnage bouffon attaché à la cour du roi." In English: "In the old regime and in the Middle Ages a "fou" was the court jester at the royal court." He was the lowest in rank, but above all because he could say anything without being punished. Often the confidant of the king. That person wore a three pointed hat with bells. Just like the bishops in the Spanish set of Jon. Those bishops really do let me think at a court jester with his hat. Maybe the triangular cut of the French bishops reflect the court jester hat as well. see wikipedia (if you can read french): http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fou or even better (with picture): http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouffon
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

simple way to make é is to type & e a c u t e ; I put spaces between the letters so that you can see the code and it wouldn't automatically show you "é" Note that the figure begins with &, and ends with a semi-colon (;)
Rick Knowlton
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Joost, Wow. I can understand confidant to the king. I think it was 'advisor' to the king which made me think you were joking. There's something very odd and Shakespearean about a king taking advice from a fool.
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Ty, Or Rigoletto of Giuseppe Verdi, North America's ninth most performed opera
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

timdewey2
Enthusiast
Hi all and Ty, There's a bit more to it than just the fou being the court jester.It's to do with taking the P*** out of the established church, the religious and political inferences in some chess set designs is a very interesting study. I will give two examples from G.W. as most of us seem to have a copy. The Jacobean set on pages 34 and 35 would repay some research. The set shown on pages 84 and 85 as "conventional" brown and white playing set, is a very important Decabristi set. The december revolutionaries were exiled to archangelisk (archangel) where they setup a carving center using mammoth and morse ivories which is still an important center today Alan D
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

ne0romantic hi ty having read a little history on the subject of witty cynical speakers , the message i get is simple. the jester was not the fool ,but sent messages to the fools who listened at the courts. the kings were granting favours to ambitious noblemen ,and often encouraged the jesters to expose these parasites to ridicule . however on occasion a skilled jester ,made the king himself a target for amusement .
Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Hi Alan I agree that it is important to take into account the influence of the church and politics. In English sets a bishop does have a split, representing a mitre. It's called a bishop isn't it! Continental sets do not have this split. It's reflected in the name of the piece: English: Bishop French: Fou (court jester, or just jester) German: Läufer Dutch: Loper (occasionally the old fashioned name "raadsheer" (=advisor) is seen) PS: Did you know that books on chess pieces, having a list of pieces names per country, do make the same mistakes? Especially for Dutch names? Obviously they have copied each other!
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Hi Alan Läufer (German) or Loper (Dutch) mean as much as Courier. A term (among many others) used by the English as well, according Greygoose page 150. In fact he mentions (for English): Aufin, Alfins, Archer, Jester, Fool, Old Man, Courier and others. In 17th century the first time that Bishop was used (in literature), although the piece certainly asssumed the appearance of a bishop long before that.
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Hi Joost In response to your request for some original images for a future article on this topic,I can give you two images - one is of an early Spanish bone/ebony set almost identical to the one Jon sent an image of ( these are the only two sets of this type which I have ever come across) - the other is the original set shown in Encydlopedie d'Alembert I dont know how to include these images with this message but i can send them directly to you. Dermot
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

timdewey2
Enthusiast
Hi Joost' Yes it's common to find that the same mistakes are copied from earlier reference books,so just because something is in most books doesn't make it right. However the point I was trying to make, is that the existence of Fou's in French sets gave a convenient handle for the satirists to hang their criticisms of church and state on. I don't collect sets, but I would think that an appreciation of important ideas and mores in the period that pertains to the set(s) under study would give more pleasure to the owner, and imagine the potential,one could bore for England (or Holland) about them. Also knowledge is power and knowing (or looking up all the different names for pieces is all well and good but there is more to it than that (as I said before) Regards Alan
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Guy, When I call the jester 'the fool' I'm not implying the jester is stupid. It's just another word for jester in English: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fool Meaning 1 is a stupid person, meaning 2 is a synonym for court jester. There's no such thing as two words with exactly the same meaning, and I could certainly say 'jester' and avoid this confusion. I just like the ring of 'fool' better sometimes, I think because Shakespeare uses it so often, and his 'fools' are usually the most intelligent characters in the play 😉
Message 27 of 32
latest reply

ne0romantic hi ty your darned right there ,and whats so funny is the targets are quite happy to laugh at him ,because they are too dumb to get the point of his ridicule. i hope you saw my joke in the joke section. a chess puzzle.
Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I got two nice pictures from Dermot This is an example of a set alike the set in Encyclopedie d'Alembert: Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Next picture of an old Spanish set, like the one of Jon, but now in bone: Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

godopenedherwomb
Enthusiast
Hello Joost. Wow, what a bunch of material to try to take in!! I hadn't checked out these discussions for a few days and now having done so, my head is swimming! Looking at the 2 pictures from Dermot that you just posted makes me wonder which piece is the Knight in the first set. The piece with the 3-pointed hat bears a resemblance to the bishop in the lower set. Is that why you posted these pictures? I will continue to read the discussions with much interest. Thanks to all of you for your ideas. Brad
Message 30 of 32
latest reply