cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time poster, long time member and a problem I haven't had before....HELP!!

Hello everyone, thanks for allowing me to post here.

I check EBAY 3X a day for a dozen items I am always looking for.

Last week, a speedometer and drive for the speedo showed up on Ebay for a good price at 335$ BIN or B.O.

So, I offered 300$ and right after I offered, I noticed in the description (not the title), it was in Kilometers rather than MPH USA.

Within 2 minutes I wrote the seller and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't see that this was in kiloweters and I have to cancel my offer.

No sooner did I find the offer and try too cancel it, up pops "PAY NOW". Well, I continued to write the seller and there was no response. So, I said "I will gladly send you the price of the auction for the inconvienence, I'm sorry".

So, here I am today, it wouldn't let me cancel 5 minutes after I hit the BIN and now I am being threatened with a non paying bidder etc etc etc.

I get it guys, I do sell things on Ebay too, I get it... But what do I do?? I offered money, I tried to explain, I cancelled as as possible but they won't respond. 

Since this issue, they listed it again and now for 275$, which is fine but what can I do here, I am trying to make it right.

I have no negative feedback or non paying bidder, and don't want that...

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: First time poster, long time member and a problem I haven't had before....HELP!!

@dirtcrasher. Sorry to say but sellers are not required to cancel a sale no matter how soon you ask.  Personally   if it's not shipped yet then I  cancel. 

One unpaid strike on your account in twelve months won't hurt you though. 

It's just when you have 2 or more in twelve months that you will be limited to buy it now from most sellers and no auctions or best offers for one year. 

All the seller had to do to avoid paying sellers fees is cancel as buyer requested.    It sounds like he's choosing the upi case instead, then he gets his fees back but you get a strike and can't leave feedback.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: First time poster, long time member and a problem I haven't had before....HELP!!

Hello , I would just take the hit and move on . I always check every little thing discripted . He could’ve been a good person and at least respond back . I’ve had that happen to me and I accepted their request . Sounds like he doesn’t have customer service . 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

First off, don't sweat it!

You tried to cancel when you realized your mistake. The Seller cannot leave a Buyer anything but positive feedback, so, you don't have to worry about your feedback rating. As far as the non-paying buyer strike, you can call eBay Customer Support and they may remove it if you can prove your case.

Stuff happens and the Seller should have been more accomodating. Does he think that if he had a brick and mortar store or even another online biz, that a buyer will never return an item or cancel a sale? 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you all for the QUICK responses!! 

I generally do read eerything, but once in awhile it gets me. Just about 6 months ago, after I was set up for 1 click BIN, I noticed a 200$ item that claimed I had purchased it. Long story short, I must have hit it in my pocket while working (EBAY browser open) and I attempted to cancel the order. He didn't believe me and would not honor my request. BUT!! That was my fault, not his and I get that so I just ate it.

But, when you try to be as honest as possible and incur a mistake, it gets frustrating...

After reading for hours, it appears that they may have an account set up aoutomatic. Maybe they haven't even seen my messages? Who knows... But, espessionally after I offered to pay for the auction and the inconvenience, I'm thinking they just don't want to be bothered. 

In 20 years, this will be my 1st strike so I guess I will just relax. Thank you to the person that suggested I chill out 😄

I just want to play the game fairly, that's all. THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ebay is 98% good. Don't worry about the occasional hiccups. It happens everywhere. Business, personal, work, etc. Focus on the good and screw the bad! 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Since this issue, they listed it again and now for 275$, which is fine but what can I do here, I am trying to make it right.

Sounds like he doesn't understand how to cancel or how to Dispute.

If they relisted it, there is a good chance they will not open the UID.

And if he does, you can ask eBay to remove the Strike (once in your lifetime only).

Message 7 of 7
latest reply