cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't switch from regular Search to Advanced Search

What's up with Advanced Search? For the past couple of days, if I search for an item, then click over to Advanced Search to refine THAT search, I have to enter the search terms again. Clicking on the Advanced Search link now clears the search field.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I just tested on Chrome, and it's working fine there. For me, the issue seems limited to Firefox.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Does it in FF3.6.24 too.

I don't use advanced search often - there's really nothing much there that can't be done from the regular search one change at a time - and I tweak my searches via the filters (along with some manual URL parameter changes), so don't recall if it retained the search terms before when switching, but assume it did.

Did it ever retain the other settings like price ranges, location, item condition, etc?

Quick (but annoying) workaround: copy/paste the search terms ?
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I just tried on firefox and mine retains the search term when switching to advanced.......

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@berserkerplanet, I start with Advanced Search when I'm actually shopping - it's just an old habit. I WISH we could permanently save settings such as search USA only, etc. When I'm switching from regular to advanced search, I'm checking current vs sold listings for something I have that isn't moving or something I'm about to list if I'm unclear how to price it. Copy/paste works, but again - just a habit to jump from one search to the other!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Works fine for me on Firefox.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

It would be nice if it did keep and use the settings (same for regular search.)

I start searches either from existing ones locked in browser tabs, or from a bookmarks toolbar bookmarklet I crafted that has the defaults I want hardcoded in (US Only, ending soonest, 100 results per page, etc).

Here is the basic search bookmarklet I use. It just prompts for search terms, and constructs an eBay search with my preferred defaults hardcoded in:

javaXscript:(function(){
var%20ebayterms=prompt('Enter%20eBay%20Search%20Term(s)','');
document.location=%22http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_udhi=5000000&LH_PrefLoc=1
&_ipg=100&_udlo=0&_sop=1&_nkw=%22+ebayterms})()
remove the X in the above to use in a bookmarklet.

the _udhi=5000000 is there as a placeholder for high price cap on search because I do most of my searching in FF3.6.24 where some of the left navbar filters don't work when clicked - if I want to change it to a $100 price cap I edit the _udhi=5000000 in the URL in the browser to be _udhi=100 and reload the search. (hokey workaround because I want to use an old browser 🙂

It is also possible to make a different bookmarklet that switches from a regular search to advanced, and plugs the keywords in. Here I adapted the regular search bookmarklet to work with advanced search.

javaXscript:(function(){
var%20hrefloc=window.location.href;
var%20parmidx=hrefloc.indexOf('https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?');
if(parmidx==-1){var%20ebayterms=prompt('Enter%20eBay%20Search%20Term(s)','');
document.location='http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_udhi=5000000&LH_PrefLoc=1&_ipg=100
&_udlo=0&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_nkw='+ebayterms;}else{
var%20params=hrefloc.substr(parmidx+32);
if(params!=null)document.location='http://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch?'+params;}
})();
remove the X in the above to use in a bookmarklet

How it works.

To start a regular search with the coded in default filter settings, open a new blank tab, or use an existing one (but not an existing regular search page tab). Click the bookmarklet, it will prompt for your search keywords, and will open a regular eBay search using the hardcoded default filters and those keywords.

If you click the bookmarklet on a regular eBay search page (the one we just opened or an existing one, the bookmarklet will grab the search parameters from the URL for that regular search page, and open the advanced search page with those parameters and keywords. Tweak that advanced search the way you normally do, and it opens a regular search page again with the results.

Here is a partial list of parameters to help with setting up defaults for the bookmarklet (they need to very carefully be edited into the bookmarklet - additional parameters are always preceded buy a & separator. Some parameters have leading underscores and some do not. General for of the URL will be  hXXps://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?parameter1&parameter2&parameter3....

and order of the parameters does'nt matter)

In search page URLs:

View (top right next to Sort)
 _dmd=2	gallery view
 _dmd=1	list view
 _dmd=0	list view (doesn't work?)
 not present	list view

Item Location (left navbar)
 LH_PrefLoc=0	default
 LH_PrefLoc=1	US Only
 LH_PrefLoc=2	Worldwide

PrefLoc=0	default
 PrefLoc=1	US Only
 PrefLoc=2	Worldwide

Include description (top under searchbar)
 LH_TitleDesc=0	don't include
 LH_TitleDesc=1	include

Price (left navbar)
 _udlo=20     _udhi=50

Items per page
  _ipg=10,50,100,200

Sort: (top right)
  _sop=15  Price+Shipping: lowest first
  _sop=16  Price+Shipping: highest first
  _sop=10  Time: Newly listed
  _sop=7    Distance: Nearest First
  _sop=12  Best Match
  _sop=1    Time: Ending soonest

If "Sold Listings" and "Complete Listings" are grayed out probably because
"Include Description" box is checked.

More can be found here: http://www.helios825.org/url-parameters.php

How to create a bookmarklet?

• Create a new bookmark on your browser bookmark toolbar (if you use one, otherwise can do it in bookmarks folder but harder to use that way).
  • Copy and paste the code for the bookmarklet from above into the "location" field for the bookmarklet (be sure to remove the X from it - that's inserted to prevent the forum software from mangling the code)
  • Name it something like SwAdvSrch.
  • Save it.
  • Use it to open new searches with defaults, or convert regular searches to advanced searches.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@dcintennessee  @dhbookds  @kaelykat

What versions of Firefox are y'all using?

I reported earlier that the keywords didn't carry over in FF3.6.24, but just checked FF31 and they do. in that one.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I'm running Firefox Quantum 58.0.2 64bit. I use UBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, X Overlay, https Everywhere and Decentraleyes. These are my only plugins.

Every once in a while I use Chrome

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I use chrome and this glitch has plagued me for about a week now.  I also noticed the left side of the screen has a list of search options, one being "sold" that does retain you original search.  I do find this left hand search does reduce the number of clicks I use (thats a positive).

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I'm having the same issue in Chrome and my browser is up to date.  Every time I set a search category, it disappears and I have to set it again the very next time I want to sear for something.  This is extremly annoying!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Doesn't work in Chrome
Message 12 of 12
latest reply