cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked Buyer List

Something happened to the BBL and all the ID's are jumbled up.  Is there a way to re-alphabetize them?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Blocked Buyer List

Have you tried clicking 'Restore list', highlighted in blue? I'm not gonna push it... just wondered if you'd tried. LOL

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

"Is there a way to re-alphabetize them"

Copy and put then in notepad or other, alphabetize them in the order you want and then do a cut and past back to the BBL.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

Whatever you decide to try, take a picture on your phone first, just in case you somehow lose your list.

Grandma 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

@sunset-painter wrote:

Something happened to the BBL and all the ID's are jumbled up.  Is there a way to re-alphabetize them?  Thanks!

Mine is a jumbled mess too since they updated the BBL page.   The text at the top of the screen is in a different font than it used to be although it seems to say exactly the same thing as it used to.

I tried using to restore the list after copying and pasting my list to notepad but it didn't fix the issue.  

The only way to get the user IDs alphabetical again is to do it the hard way and even then I am not sure that they will stay that way.   

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

I expect that would last until the next time you added/removed, and hit the submit.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

Yeah Ebay enhanced them the other day & made a total mess of them!  Why the changes, who knows?  The font is different, the breaks are ridiculous, the order is bizarre. 

I really, REALLY wish they would focus on fixing broken stuff & not breaking stuff that works just fine!!! 

I'll bet Ebay doesn't even know that their 'update' has made it a royal mess.   I wish I could remember the EBay guy's name to 'page', so they could tell us WHY they made a ridiculous mess of it & if it's going to be fixed? 

ETA:  I  would NOT change them or 'fix' them b/c this was an intentional Ebay change, scary as that is.  If you change the order, you risk it reverting or worse, not being used the way they are intended.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

Just more confirmation that the eBay IT persons need to be replaced.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

I gave it a shot here on my buying account to see what happens. The list is not needed here, but is a backup for my selling, and here if for some unforeseen reason I decide to sell something on this ID.

Restore just lets you restore to an earlier date. It is for future use, and does not go back earlier than today. (at least for me that was the result)

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

"The only way to get the user IDs alphabetical again is to do it the hard way and even then I am not sure that they will stay that way."

@comics-scifi-collectibles 

You DO know the song, don't you? 😋

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

@comics-scifi-collectibles 

Are they still delimited? If so, they can be saved to a txt file in notepad and can be imported into an Excel page. Excel can re-alphabetize them and can re-export to a comma-delimited file.

Or, I could write a little utility to do that.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

@shipscript   Yes they are still comma delineated.  I have a feeling it will revert each time a new member is added, that, of course, is just a guess.  

It doesn't bother me since once they are on the list I just forget about them. 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Just more confirmation that the eBay IT persons need to be replaced.

I've seen no evidence that they have any. It appears that they rely (too) heavily on offshore contract programmers, who are let go before any peer-review or QA testing can be completed.

What's happened (in my case at least) is that the comma separators no longer have a space following each comma, and the page display does not want to break the lines on commas that don't have a space following.

The blocked IDs are also coming up out of alphabetical order, which may be connected to the loss of the space separators. I think they're now coming up in chronological order with the most-recently-banned IDs at the end (before all the "deleted" entries, which are accounts that have now been nuked by eBay). I suspect chronological order is how they're stored internally, and the alpha-sort that we normally see is generated when the BBL list is displayed to the user.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

@shipscript   Yes they are still comma delineated.  I have a feeling it will revert each time a new member is added, that, of course, is just a guess.  

Good to know the commas are still there.  After rearranging and saving my list, eBay put them back into the order they chose, which is the age of the account. So oldest accounts sort first.

For those who need to see their list alphabetically, here is a script that can sort the list.

Copy the code and save to your computer with a name like "sorter.html"

When clicked, a browser window will open.

Paste your jumbled list into the top box, and the tool will alphabetize the list into the bottom box.

<html><head></head><body>
<textarea id="source" style="width:100%; height:200px;"></textarea>
<button onclick="process()">sort</button>
<textarea  id="dest" style="width:100%; height:200px;"></textarea>
<script>function process(){
var str=document.getElementById('source').value.split(",");
var sorted=str.sort();
document.getElementById('dest').value=sorted.join(",\n");
}</script>
</body></html>

The list is sorted with trailing commas, in case it is to be pasted back into eBay, although eBay will simply sort it again by registration date (age of the account).

Or, you can copy the list from eBay, save to your desktop as a text file, import into Excel and have Excel sort the list.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List

worm_edwi
Adventurer

I called them yesterday (10/03) and asked why it's now jumbled and not in alphabetical order as it has been for years. The answer given to me was that it always shows the last buyer blocked listed first. I disagreed and he said he'd make a "note" in my account so they could look into it. My other question was that it seems activity for my listings are off...a lot and could he run a test to make sure there's no glitches. He said 'ALL my listings looked fine. I had a follow-up to see if he could see my blocked buyers list so he could see other issues like half a line being empty and the bidders name would continue on the next line when there was enough room on the initial line to begin with. He put me on hold for a minute or three and came back and said he couldn't see my list. Probably because they're working remotely from home. But I did get a 'Was I helpful' survey immediately. I haven't answered that as of yet. 

Message 15 of 25
latest reply