cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage ticket stub from Madison Square Garden

I recently had an uncle pass away who close to 90 years old. While going through his property with other relatives we found a ticket stub to an event at Madison Square Garden on Febuary 27, 1930. The research I have done shows that there was a boxing match at Madison Square Garden on that date between Jack Sharkey and Phil Scott. What confuses me is the ticket stub has the words "Miami - Florida" on it, and I have found other merchandise from this fight that also has "Miami - Florida" on it. Anybody have any idea what the significance of "Miami - Florida" has to do with this fight, or any info you can give me about this ticket stub would be greatly appreciated. I see the ticket cost $5.49. That seems like a lot of money for 1930.DSCN7166[1].jpg

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Vintage ticket stub from Madison Square Garden

I think the show is not be attended anymore.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I have no idea what that means?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

83 years to late.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

nogmeer's just being an "intelligent posterior"... someone else will probably post something truly helpful eventually. Keep checking back.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

The event was at Madison Square Garden STADIUM which was in Florida.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I can find absolutely NOTHING about a Madison Square Garden STADIUM in Miami.

If you are not supposed to stick Q-Tips in your ears, then what in the hell are they for? Ole' Don swears by 'em!
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Nor can I..... but that's what the ticket stub says.

Here's a ticket from "Madison Square Garden Bowl" in Long Island City.... http://www.josportsinc.com/item_images/1340891860.jpg

Someone with knowledge of MSG history might be able to solve the mystery

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Here's the fight the ticket must be from. The ticket is in such good shape it looks like it's from a fight that took place yesterday. I wonder if it's worth anything?

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Jack_Sharkey_vs._Phil_Scott

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

1931- 3- 5  Jack Roper  KO- 1  Miami, FL	   Madison Square Garden Stadium

James J. Braddock
(James Walter Braddock)
Braddock was a methodical plugger who was not flashy but diligently went about his work in a mechanical fashion; 
He was tough and could take a punch. Braddock was called the "Cinderella Man" because of his fairy tale-like win over 
poverty and Max Baer. He was elected to the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame in 1969. 

I found this under The New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame website. James Braddock fought at The Madison Square Garden Stadium on March 5th, 1931 (Miami, FL) . He KO'ed Jack Roper in Round 1

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

PRIMO CARNERA fought there as well:

Win78–6United StatesTommy LoughranUD15 March 1, 1934Madison Square Garden Stadium, Miami, Florida, USARetained NBA and NYSAC World Heavyweight titles.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

timsattic - I would correctly state the location described on the ticket stub if I listed it for sale. I'd start the bidding at $24 on a 7 day auction and let it find its own level.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Can anyone explain WHY we can find virtually NOTHING by Googling or Binging?

I thought you could find ANYTHING on the WWW!

If you are not supposed to stick Q-Tips in your ears, then what in the hell are they for? Ole' Don swears by 'em!
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I did find this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden_Bowl

.... which perhaps gives credence to the thought that other venues "borrowed" the MSG name.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Is this for available for sale?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply