cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW in Jan. Low S+H FEE for under $20 Cards/Orders??

I have seen the video and read the announcement and know the weight has to be under 3oz., but does anyone know yet the answers to:  (A) Does this include the same-order sale of several cards that add up to say $15 or so.  (B) Can we use a bubble mailer (I use #00 now) as there is a mention of a dimensions requirement.  #000 could work too, although I like the mid-sized 00.  As of now I can easily pack 5 to 10 cards in a bubble mailer with one card in a top load, the rest sleeved sealed in a team bag and all being taped between cardboard while remaining under 3oz. usually in the $3.85 to $4.10 First Class range.  I will not use PWE.  Let me know if anyone has a heads-up on these issues.  My son (Video Games) said it does include Bubble Mailers as long as it stays under 3 oz., but the dimension requirement is going to be the clincher or deal breaker on that I think. 

Thank you.  DIO @ diossportscards  

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: NEW in Jan. Low S+H FEE for under $20 Cards/Orders??

There are still many questions to be answered and hopefully there will be some clarity soon. My understanding is the mailer can't be thicker than 1/4" and has size requirements. Most bubble mailers with a card(s) would exceed the 1/4" requirement or be right at it at best. I have heard up to 4 cards can be shipped totaling no more than $20. They are calling this "Ebay standard envelope" so hopefully someone in the know will tell us exactly what that is in regards to the type of mailer. They say a lot of people are excited about this but I will wait until it gets going and see how it works out.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Will be looking forward to full details.  I have also heard of the 1/4" requirement and I'm fine with that.  Also wondering about being able to send multiple cards, totaling less than $20.  Haven't seen anything official on those details.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

I am very weary sending cards in a PWE - Lot more questions arising like what if someone buys 15 $1.25 cards and I have free S+H after first buy, can't offer no extra S+H fee no more.  Sales over $20 I have to keep my $4.75 Fee.  May get confusing for buyers.  I sell for example 8 and/or 9 card lots for 3 or $4, I would still like to offer $1.00 S+H on them, but it don't seem like they will fall in the requirements.  Guess we have to take what what we can get, buyers do get my low priced cards sometimes just 1 and they should move much better rather than the with $4.75 S+H charge.  Thanks for your response.  

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

I don't think they thought it thru all the way, lots of variations/scenarios coming to mind the more I think about it.  Thank you for replying.  DIO 

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

I agree. I wonder what will happen to buyers that don't follow the rules and send in a package too thick? How are these going to be processed by USPS? Machinable, non-machinable? With the popularity of cards growing, how will the P.O. handle the extra volume when they are struggling to deliver anything on time now? Lots of other questions I hope get answered soon.

I read somewhere that trading cards are one of the top categories for volume on Ebay with 45 million cards sold in 2020. Up 300% in the past 5 years. Anybody know why this thread still sits in the basement where nobody can find it?

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

The increase I believe is mostly due to the largest sellers that eBay enabled to become larger yet over the last several years by basically phasing out the little guy.  I have several Fav sellers saved that sell 4,000 to 8,000 or more listings a month, that is 100 to 250 sales A DAY -  just cards.  It started back when they stopped allowing the sale of cards for less than a dollar.  I used to show 5 to 10,000 items (Back when a store was priced reasonable and they didn't have crazy item limits).  I would sell a handful of .25 and .50 cards and then the buyer may pick up a few other more pricy ones.  The postal fees raising out of control have really killed the little guy too and lastly not allowing 1 day listings for free killed me as well.  I would run 1,500 to 2,000 one day auctions and sell 1 to 2 percent of them, doesn't sound like alot, but it came out to 15 to 20 sales a day.  Now I sell practically nothing so they get no fees.  I understand the clogging argument, but now it's clogged anyway with the monster sellers.  They have a following that is practically impossible to pry collectors away from.  I really don't care this is just a hobby for me, but I would like to be more productive with it all.  I have 2 other off eBay free to list sites as well, one holds over 19,000 listings, but without exposure they are stagnant as best. 

Good stuff murphy71605.  Thank you.  DIO  

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

The unfortunate raise in postal rates over the years has not benefited collectors.   However, as a seller, these USPS rate increases have dramatically increased business for me as a seller.   Eight years ago, I averaged approx. 5 items per transaction.   In 2020, I averaged over 10 items per transaction...this average has increased steadily over the years in conjunction with USPS rate increases.   Most interesting, my number of transactions per year have remained consistent.   Thus, with collectors looking to save on s/h costs, I sell more due to these rate increases.   It will remain to be seen if this new shipping option is actually a benefit for sellers or not...as with many things on ebay, time will tell.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

Thank you mantlerulz very interesting take so as I get up to 5,000 and 10,000 Listings I should do a S+H Discount say something like  - Orders over $20 get $1 off S+H Fee.  I refuse to ship anything in a PWE.  DIO  

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

My store offers free s/h on orders of 20+ single cards.....   

As a buyer/collector also, because of the savings in s/h cost, I like PWE for inexpensive cards.   As a seller, my complaint with PWE is simply the time it takes to pull and ship these little orders.   I would rather spend 5 minutes to pull an ship a 20 item, free s/h order than 2 minutes to pull and ship a one card PWE order with $1 s/h.   However, as both a sender and receiver of PWE, I have experienced far fewer damages and lost mailing issues percentage wise with PWE than I do with orders that include tracking which are well packed in bubble mailers.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

I've seen a thread on the selling board that it's live now. Anybody here try it yet?

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

So what do you do mantlerulz?  Send one card per order unless they spend $20 then you use a mailer?  I rarely have issues in 16+ years on here, I think 1 return in 7,000 sales.  Can you get 2 or 3 cards in a PWE all in top loads?  If I buy 3 $1 cards do you put them in the same PWE?  I know the high S+H fee stymies my sales, but those that do buy really appreciate the secureness of their cards taped between cardboard packed in paper in a #00 bubble mailer.   DIO 

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

Can  you post the thread please?  DIO  

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

I have heard it is live as well but have not tried it yet. I believe you have to choose the flat rate shipping option and you can find ebay standard envelope on the drop down menu. Funny, nothing official was ever put out that I can find. I guess an envelope that doesn't exceed the 1/4" width and size will work. There is also a 30 cent fee over all other cost added I have heard ( did anyone actually think they would not find a way to profit from this) and you cannot exceed the $20 limit. Not sure if there is a limit to how many cards you can send in a single mailer. 

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

here's another thread on the subject I just came across. I wish there was some sort of a test where we could print one out as a sample. I think you can print directly on the envelope.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Sporting-Goods/eBay-standard-envelope-requirements/m-p/31561154#M18253

Message 15 of 40
latest reply