cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMA GRADED CARDS

I have read previous discussions about GMA graded cards and have some personal experience to share. 

I have been involved with the sportscard hobby since 2000. Like many of you, I have learned how to examine cards and what to look for to get a good idea of approximate grade. As we all know though, grading buy a human will be subjective and error prone and sadly nowadays influenced by large dealer submissions to get better grades,yes that is how it works! I know it can be hard to have people see things with an open mind when they have all been brain washed into thinking a certain way as with in this case grading companies.

Like I mentioned earlier, yes there have been "grading" companies out there that have no business in this hobby. I have also  seen like many of you out there mistakes made on ,in my case ,PSA cards not graded correctly but yet people still think they're god and forgive THIER mistakes and move on. I have seen my share of bad cards out there as many of you also have. I have submitted to PSA & BGS as many of you also have and paid the price! We have all seen grading companies come and go but the big 3 have remained. I guess it seems to most people out there no one in the world is capable of grading a card but them. GET REAL PEOPLE! So what you may be saying, (I'm talking to those who think about quitting thier job and going out on thier own because they think they can do the same thing) it's not possible.

Why do people continue to also pay $20 to $35 to have a card examined? That's just ridiculous!  I had purchased over a months time a large amount of some rookie cards from packs that I had planned to go through and submit what I thought were my best chances at good grades. They were 2010 thru 2014 modern cards, base and refractors. After careful consideration, I ended up with 47 cards I felt good about. Ok, now I thought who to send them to? Yes I thought about PSA and BCCG. After considering the costs, I couldn't see spending at least over $700 to almost a $1000 PLUS shipping back just to have my cards examined in a minute or so by a so called "expert" and returned to me with thier unquestionable opinion. Why do you think you read about people re-submitting cards and getting a different grades back! This is all just a big expensive scam that I was a part of once.

I currently have some GMA graded cards in my collection which I love so I thought to myself, let's maybe try them and see how they are.  I packed them up carefully and shipped them off.......nervously!  GMA states on thier website 5 business day service, so I thought, why not.  By tracking they recieved them on Monday December 1st and I had my order back by Wednesday December 10th! Talk about great service! My totaI cost with shipping was $115.

Opened the box and they were proffesionally packed to perfection. Now for the moment of truth, what grades did I get back?  Surprisingly , they don't just give out 10's like people may think. I got back 27 10's out of 47. The rest were 8's 8.5's and 9's. In my opinion they were very accurate and even surprised me some.  Bottom line,  those of you doubters out there want to try them and see for yourself, you have nothing to lose but may gain peace of mind that just because they aren't the big 3, don't have the massive overhead that the others do (which believe me you pay for) and have chosen to run thier company efficiently, doesn't mean they can't do a good job. 

We all need to be open minded sometimes that just because something is different, it doesn't mean they are bad or inferior.  Just wanted to share this with all of you out there as to maybe help someone who thinks that PSA and BGS are the only options and that you can also have your favorite cards graded fairly and accurately and that this hobby doesn't have to break the bank.  I will never use the big 3 again. I look forward to seeing what you all have to say about this and maybe hope to hear maybe some of you give it a shot and are pleasantly surprised that there are good options out there.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: GMA GRADED CARDS

Hello.

Do you know of a GMA slab holder that I can place my GMA graded cards into?

(Like a plastic page that would hold 1 to 4 GMA slabed, graded cards and the that page fitting into a three-ring binder)

Please, respond back to me at Tenaycious@aol.com or calling me at 973 676 5103.

I'd Really appreciated if you'd call me if not too much trouble.)

Much Thanks!!!

Shawn, - SWJ -

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

I'm sorry but everyone is doing comparisons using Ebay stats..this is a company that has completely killed the card collecting community..first u have people who know nothing about cards listing for the minimum amount so they dont pay fees and then you buyers which are mainly store owners or whatever taking advantage and waiting til the very last 2nd to bid preventing anyone else from bidding.i have seen way to many cards with high value get sold for pennies..so to use Ebay stats for any argument is completely ignorant

Now to grading..its one opinion..it doesnt matter rather its beckett,psa,scg or gma..they all have their advantages and disadvantages..gma sure they may give a lot more 10's but in the long run it's cheaper and a hell of a lot faster and out of 5 grades cards 2 to 3 are right on with bgs and psa and the other ones may be .5 to 1 point off if that..I have also seen videos of people busting open psa and beckett cases and sending them right bac to the same company and coming back a higher grade which should not happen and on top of that it gets added to the registry which it is already under giving the registry false data cause the card was submitted more than once..I've also seen over grades by psa and beckett especially when ur a dealer happen..my uncle owns a card shop and he sends grades off all the time and he even admits if ur a dealer and use them a lot and share the wealth u can have a 7 or 8 be a gem 10..now psa and beckett are better at grading the older vintage cards but when it comes to the modern cards it doesnt matter...but the idiocracy comes when u spend $25 or more to grade a card and wait mths and mths and that's if ur card doesn't mysteriously disappear and it happens...look up psa and beckett complaint list on the bbb website..both have 100 of reports of cards being switched or come up missing...psa and beckett have their bad and good and personally I will list my gma cards the same price I list my psa or beckett's and if u buy it great if not sooner or later someone will..to me neither is the best and they get the same value because the are graded by the same instrument..a human eye and human opinion..

So at the end of the day do what u want...if u want to spend $25 or more and wait for ur card for mths if u get it back than do it..if u want to spend $3 a card and get it back in 7 days do it...either way ur paying for a piece of cardboard and someone's opinion..besides u guys who support psa, beckett, and scg u should really watch a discussing panel done by all 3 owners at a convention..its funny as **bleep** as they all 3 say the same thing..its an opinion..

As for me the best math solution for making a profit if u go there would be just the cheapest and quickest...$3 card plus $3 grade sell for $7 or more equal profit..$3 card plus $25 grade fee and I'm sor re y no one is going to pay$28  for a $3 card so ur in the hole right off that bat...use ur head people...

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@jdfan1234 wrote:

they have been known to authenticate reprints thats why they suck

I'm sorry but everyone is doing comparisons using Ebay stats..this is a company that has completely killed the card collecting community..first u have people who know nothing about cards listing for the minimum amount so they dont pay fees and then you buyers which are mainly store owners or whatever taking advantage and waiting til the very last 2nd to bid preventing anyone else from bidding.i have seen way to many cards with high value get sold for pennies..so to use Ebay stats for any argument is completely ignorant

Now to grading..its one opinion..it doesnt matter rather its beckett,psa,scg or gma..they all have their advantages and disadvantages..gma sure they may give a lot more 10's but in the long run it's cheaper and a hell of a lot faster and out of 5 grades cards 2 to 3 are right on with bgs and psa and the other ones may be .5 to 1 point off if that..I have also seen videos of people busting open psa and beckett cases and sending them right bac to the same company and coming back a higher grade which should not happen and on top of that it gets added to the registry which it is already under giving the registry false data cause the card was submitted more than once..I've also seen over grades by psa and beckett especially when ur a dealer happen..my uncle owns a card shop and he sends grades off all the time and he even admits if ur a dealer and use them a lot and share the wealth u can have a 7 or 8 be a gem 10..now psa and beckett are better at grading the older vintage cards but when it comes to the modern cards it doesnt matter...but the idiocracy comes when u spend $25 or more to grade a card and wait mths and mths and that's if ur card doesn't mysteriously disappear and it happens...look up psa and beckett complaint list on the bbb website..both have 100 of reports of cards being switched or come up missing...psa and beckett have their bad and good and personally I will list my gma cards the same price I list my psa or beckett's and if u buy it great if not sooner or later someone will..to me neither is the best and they get the same value because the are graded by the same instrument..a human eye and human opinion..

So at the end of the day do what u want...if u want to spend $25 or more and wait for ur card for mths if u get it back than do it..if u want to spend $3 a card and get it back in 7 days do it...either way ur paying for a piece of cardboard and someone's opinion..besides u guys who support psa, beckett, and scg u should really watch a discussing panel done by all 3 owners at a convention..its funny as **bleep** as they all 3 say the same thing..its an opinion..

As for me the best math solution for making a profit if u go there would be just the cheapest and quickest...$3 card plus $3 grade sell for $7 or more equal profit..$3 card plus $25 grade fee and I'm sor re y no one is going to pay$28  for a $3 card so ur in the hole right off that bat...use ur head people...

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

Comparing the # of 10's listed by GMA to the # listed by PSA doesnt prove anything. GMA's grading cost is a fraction of PSA's. Makes sense that they would grade more cards and as a result more of their cards would be on the market. Im not defending any company. People badmouth PSA too but its the first thing they look for when buying autos and those people will accept their grades when it is their card that gets a 10. 

Btw,dont tell people to "think" if you wont spell "your" properly.

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

People like u with that comment small minded I've send out cards to PSA beckett that were fake to see how good they were they came but graded. My point just because they cost more to graded don't mean.there.better.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

***SIGH***

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

GMA is simple. You pay the fee and get a 10 gem. Remember the Lebron James Rookie Review perforated? Zero integrity at GMA

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

Good work but the problem with this analysis is if I have a card graded 7 by GMA, I can get more for it raw than in the slab, so I think that people will just bust the slab and sell raw. Also I think people don't send older cards to GMA and older cards are more likely to get lower grades. Why send a 68 Ryan to GMA if it looks like a 6 when you get much more for it in a PSA or Beckett holder than a GMA? I like GMA but only use them for my lower value mint looking cards and no they don't all get 10.
Message 23 of 36
latest reply

I absolutely agree with stephenez2005. There had to be a time when PSA and Beckett et.al. were all starting out as companies and could not provide all the services and "frills" they have now, like POP reports etc. - PLUS they have entrenched their reputation now from years of grading (good and bad). GMA is a newcomer. I have no doubt they will be a force in the hobby very soon. I mean, come on, they are faster, more economical, and provide quality service. I am a Platinum member of PSA and have had many cards graded by them, but they are not infallible. GMA has made some mistakes I'm sure - I see several alluded to here in these posts - mostly opinion, some just derogatory comments, but no proof. Thus far I have had 60 or so cards graded by GMA ranging from 7 to 10, always returned within a week, always packed with care and in a box I can use for storage, and always at $3.50 per card (their new rate, no doubt a sign of a growing business). I have been completely impressed with their work and will no doubt be sending more business their way. I cannot fathom the reason for the complaints here. It should be good news that perhaps someone is "building a better mousetrap." There's room for everyone. If one does not wish to use their service - don't. If one does not wish to buy GMA graded cards - don't. It's the beauty of free enterprise. Mark my words, GMA is not going away. They are just getting started, and if, by chance, they are not meant to last, the market will take care of them.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

They've been in business for 15 years, not exactly  a "newcomer" to the business.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

I’ve used GMA twice so far and I’m happy with them. PSA and Beckett are way too expensive for low end cards. All I see on eBay are overpriced cards from PSA and Beckett because I’m guessing people are trying to make their money back. The wait time for psa cards is ridiculous. I sent in 3 cards to psa just to try them out and it’s gonna be month that I haven’t gotten my cards back. I don’t think I’ll don’t think I’ll ever use them again. 

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

I agree GMA is the best Grading Company they will only get better and popular as time goes on.  PSA steals people money.  They know they will not give out 10's.  You go on Ebay all you see is 9.5, 9, 8.5...etc.  You can not beat GMA's grading prices

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

That's fine if all you want is to have your card(s) cheaply entombed in plastic with a dubious high grade number stamped on the flip.  If it's resale value you're concerned about, no slab collector cares about anything except a flip from PSA, or, secondarily, SGC or BVG.  Meanwhile, PSA may be set up for a massive fall (probably not) -- is no one here aware of the huge scandal that's inflamed high-end and vintage collecting over the past couple of months, involving PSA and PWCC?   

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

I have been following the story and awaiting the FBI's findings. I hope anyone that has been hurt financially is made whole and all those involved in any nefarious actions are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I hope for the sake of collectors that PSA is not implicated in all this, but find it alarming that all that all these doctored cards made it through, to say the least.
Message 29 of 36
latest reply

Best reply yet! Took the words right out of my mouth. I've had way too many problems with PSA and BGS besides the exhorbinant amount of money they think they can charge foolish people. Besides trying.to give me back the WRONG card I've also gotten totally different cards than the ones I've sent in. If not for me scanning everything PSA would have kept my $2000 card and sent me a bad copy of the card. Totally scandalous! Took months to get reimbursed for the fake card they sent.me back. Never saw my true card again, just got money from PSA which I didn't want. I want my original card back! If it's good they keep it and replace it with a different copy to send back to the customer. Wonder how often they get away with it? And what's with PSA requiring that we submit cards with appraised value and pay accordingly?? Isn't that why I'm sending it in to be graded? Why do I have to know the value? Totally bad business practices...does anyone else see this? Or are you all under the PSA influence? Lol...good luck suckers that still pay for PSA and BGS. You will eventually get burned and you probably already have but just dont know it LMAO. GMA rocks!

Message 30 of 36
latest reply