cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Makes an Autograph Authentic?

I have a new, unused Cal Ripken Jr. autographed jersey. The signature was authenticated by Mr. Ripken's own collectible business called Ironclad Authentics, which appears to be no longer in business. The jersey has a sticker on it as shown in the attached photo, but I do not have a corresponding Certificate of Authenticity (COA). Will not having the COA mean the autograph is not considered authentic?

I won the jersey and display case in a raffle, so I did not have any control over ensuring it had complete and proper documentation. It may have come with a COA, but it was not passed on to me. I am looking to sell the jersey and case, but need to understand what I have or do not have because of the lack of a COA. Thanks for any ideas on this. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I incorrectly attached photos to my original post. Here is what the jersey, signature, and sticker look like.
jersey_in_case.jpgSignature_closeup.jpgironclad.jpg

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The autograph looks authentic to me. I'M NO PROFESSIONAL. You could always advertise it truthfully, as in your post. I'd proceed with caution, though... scammers love 'new' sellers with stuff like this. Good luck.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on "proceed with caution"? What is the game that scammers play with stuff like this, and how do I lessen my risk?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Nice jersey! Follow mtgraves advice, follow with caution meaning do NOT correspond outside of EBay messaging. If you get Please text me ,  don't do it. Your a Newbee with a target on your back for scammers and this item and they will come at you faster than flies on cow pies. Don't list it as an Auction use BIN with no best offer. I would stick with shipping to USA only and require a signature upon delivery. Please just be careful any questions you have while it's listed please post on the Sellers forum ( mtgraves is on there to) Good luck dear!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Why wouldn't you use an Auction for this?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply