cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a Fisherman's Help

I'm looking to ID the type of fish that is mounted here.  Also, is there a special name for this unusual (to me at least) mounting style?  Thanks for your help.

FISH HEAD (3).JPGFISH HEAD (1).JPG

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Need a Fisherman's Help

Thanks for all the fun responses - it really made my day .. good thing I wasn't drinking coffee over my keyboard when I read them.  I cannot possibly accept any one response as the solution since they are all super great.  If this darn thing sells, I will report back here.

Message 31 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

gsn13579 wrote:..........Well that is a wierd mount,it actually isn't a mount so much as a freeze dried or dehydrated fish head, really hard to tell exactly what it is since it is so dried out..........What I do know is that one from Europe is NOT a carp...carp do NOT have teeth per say,they have a very rubbery mouth,and lips...  Walleye do have visible teeth,and  Northern pike,and pickerel,even bigger nastier teeth, Muskie also have some serious teeth... Bass both smallmouth,and large mouth have teeth,but it is like a snook, they are very small fine teeth,and look and feel much like a very fine grade of sandpaper..........a guess because of it's condition I would say it's a dehydrated FISH HEAD!

I agree with you here.  More a dried/dehydrated fish head than a true mount... the sort of thing you find as you're hiking along a riverbank and think to yourself.. WTH is that thing? and then you decide it's so disgusting it deserves to be put onto a big ol' chunk of rough-sawn wood and hung on the wall or something.  Maybe beautifully wrapped with a fancy bow and everything, and given to somebody at your next office Secret Santa White Elephant Christmas Party!  Smiley Very Happy

I also agree that it's not a carp.  We used to fish those things like crazy, and that just isn't a little lippy carp mouth, which I can also attest doesn't have sharp visible teeth.. because it doesn't go after little faster fish, and doesn't need those grab-and-catch teeth to secure a meal of pond scum and sucking up the occasional worm or drowned bug.

Folks of German heritage around that period of two decades of my life, and they could smoke carp that was one of the truly delicious additions to the feast as we all picked at tables of food, drank wonderful beer, and watched football games all day long.  Brings back memories, and that smoked carp... so yummy!

Message 32 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

@mistwomandancing wrote:

Folks of German heritage around that period of two decades of my life, and they could smoke carp that was one of the truly delicious additions to the feast as we all picked at tables of food, drank wonderful beer, and watched football games all day long.  Brings back memories, and that smoked carp... so yummy!

We aren't German, but my husband smoked carp a few times & I agree it was delicious !

Some of our friends thought it was smoked Salmon & they loved it too.

Some of the Carp get really large here so you get a lot of filet to use.

Catching those big guys is a lot of fun because they can put up a good fight.

Message 33 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

Speaking of carp that could be a small Asian carp. I was in Tennessee on lake Reel Foot and I caught a little one. They look a little like a bass without a dorsal fin. 

On on a side note they have really decimated that lake. It was my first time there and we had 30-50 lb carp jumping at the boat. We stirred up hundreds of them in the little area we covered each day. 

You can call me Tony
Message 34 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

I'll bet those were those d _ _ _ ed Silver Carp.  Those things get all crazy when a boat comes by and flip way up out of the water.  Get hit in the face with one of those as you're boating by, and you'll end up with a broken nose! 

The river carp we used to fish for got awfully big sometimes, but weren't the **jumping** fish, at least.  Had those frustrating T-bones though.....

Message 35 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

Good luck, I'd probably just throw it in the trash, sooooooooo it'll probably sell for a thousand or so.  

Message 36 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

"I'm not sure what it is, but it's dead, Jim."

Message 37 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

Smiley Very Happy  Smiley LOL  Smiley Very Happy

Message 38 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

They were jumping higher than my brother who is 6'2". It really was crazy how many of them jumped. 

None landed in our boat but they were jumping like this.

You can call me Tony
Message 39 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

Kinda' scary to watch, knowing that it's also a little dangerous.  Looks like those guys didn't need to actually 'fish' for their supper, it just came to them. 

Message 40 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

It's the Creature from the Black Lagoon!

"'Tis beter to ship, than to receive."
Message 41 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

Possibly a European " Zander"  Freshwater predator hunts mostly at night.

Message 42 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

It looks like a Largemouth or Smallmouth Bass to me. It would be hard to tell with the older patina and color distortion of the drying process. My guess is a Largemouth. This was a popular mounting style for cabins and cottages along with resorts in northern MI. Probably as well as MN, WI, PA, MA or the upper mid eastern US. A simple cheap quick mount for the fishing and hunting resort that would catch the eyes of the weekend warrior. It was really popular mid century and maybe earlier. This one of yours seems to be a fine job specimen. On this mount they took the eyes out before drying in the sun. Then they put faux eyes in and varnished to preserve then mounted on a genre type board or stained wood round. Notice on the walleye mount below that they just let the eyes dry with the mount. The walleye below and your bass, especially your bass was probably on the wall in the accompanying restaurant, lodge sign in room, or in the cottage. Most of these type mounts (bass, walleye, pike, and maybe larger other fish like bowfin and **bleep**pie) were just the head cut off and nail to a tree, piece of driftwood, or on the outside wall of the boat house. In this vintage, retro style era you might find someone that appreciates it. I don't know of the worth though. As stated above it is a simple, but very decent retro mount. It was interesting to you wasn't it.

Message 43 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

this is a walleye

Message 44 of 55
latest reply

Need a Fisherman's Help

looks to be a rock fish or a google eye even maybe a warmouth.

Message 45 of 55
latest reply