cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air rifle sales policy in Virginia

The state of Virginia has relaxed most laws regarding pellet guns and air rifles in the past 3 years. 

Ebay's policy needs to be reconciled with the current law.

There are no restrictions on the purchase of air rifles in the state of Virginia.  No proof of age or residency is required.  There are no restrictions on the purchase of pellets or bb's by age or residency.  There are no restrictions on transportation of either. 

The only 2 laws involving air guns are:

§ 18.2-282. Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearance; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured. However, this section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense. Persons violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor or, if the violation occurs upon any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds or upon public property within 1,000 feet of such school property, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

§ 29.1-519. Guns, pistols, revolvers, etc., which may be used; penalty.

A. All wild birds and wild animals may be hunted with the following weapons unless shooting is expressly prohibited:

1. A shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun not larger than 10 gauge;

2. An automatic-loading or hand-operated repeating shotgun capable of holding not more than three shells the magazine of which has been cut off or plugged with a one-piece filler incapable of removal through the loading end, so as to reduce the capacity of the gun to not more than three shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, unless otherwise allowed by Board regulations;

3. A rifle, a muzzleloading rifle, or an air rifle;

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Air rifle sales policy in Virginia

I have purchased both a vintage 880 pellet rifle as well as a pellet pistol from ebay last year and it was not blocked.

How do we get ebay to review the restriction they have with Virginia?  Doesn't make sense to me at all.  Loosing out on a purchase just because of this mistake.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Illinois has reclassified the .177 air rifle as not restricted.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

To EBay sellers (hopefully at least one will read this and I will privately message a few directly):

It is clearly established that selling an air rifle to an adult in the state of Virginia is NOT restricted by law. Only YOU are going to have the power to get EBay to rectify this error. YOU are the ones who are loosing LOTS of MONEY!

I am a single mom - an adult to boot who has the money to purchase an air rifle and the motivation to use one (stupid fox has already gotten 2 of my hens and its war!) Unfortunately, I need that air rifle soon (no desire to jump out of a tree with a knife and Im too slow to catch it and strangle it with my bare hands). That means a trip to Cabellas for me and no $ for you. 😳  Protest with EBay so we can give you money in the future 😘

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread HERE.

Thanks.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply