cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one know who made this Sterling Mid century candy dish or is it art deco?

Real nice and well made 4 3/4 across. I can't make out the mark on the bottom. Hope you can help.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Any one know who made this Sterling Mid century candy dish or is it art deco?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Any one know who made this Sterling Mid century candy dish or is it art deco?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I don't recognize the maker but it's certainly more modernist  than anything else.  Those organic swirls are definitely a way a modernist would modify the stark circularity of the bowl.  A lovely bowl indeed!

Very, very little that is called Deco on ebay really is.  Just because it's round or square doesn't on its own make it Deco.  In most cases it's best called modern, not even modernist.  And then there is my favourite abomination:   nouveau-art-deco, or some variant thereof..  Please don't ever use that combination, unless you want me to think very dark thoughts about you! 🙂

[Oh, dear.  I appear to have broken my soapbox.]

Lea
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Dorantes E Hijos

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply