cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping item to a buyer, i paid full costs shipping, they say there's C.O.D. at post office?

Buyer is demanding i give him $4.00, he says the post office says there's C.O.D, i sent the item which was a liscense plate, i paid $2.61 for first class which i print label at home. I don't believe i am the one who should eat the C.O.D money. what should i say/do? thanks

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

shipping item to a buyer, i paid full costs shipping, they say there's C.O.D. at post office?

I always print shipping labels through eBay and had a postage due issue this past weekend. The buyer sent a picture of the notice and the receipt so I'm sure he wasn't pulling my leg.  He could not remember the exact weight the package was alleged to be (we had a 5 pound Priority Mail label on it) but it cost us an extra $4.25, which I reimbursed immediately.  It'll be interesting to see if the PO ends up double dipping!

-C

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Its not C.O.D, its postage due. And yes it is your responsibility to pay it.  You underpaid for postage I believe. $2.61 IIRC is for up to 4oz and a license plate alone, without the shipping materials, weighs more than 4oz. So you need to send the buyer $4 via paypal.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

The total weight of package was 4 ounce with packaging, today isn't my first day iv'e had sales on ebay since 1998! Never had an issue with not enough postage, first class you can send up to 4 ounces for $2.61.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@atvguy

What was used for a shipping container?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I just weighed a licence plate , it was 4oz bare no packing , I would suggest you check your scale .

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

This isnt any normal liscense plate, it is a cheap chinese 2oz plate made for ac delco, it was sold at big lots, not a thick real lisnce plate but a cheap, chinese made one.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

wrapped in paper, tape weighed maybe 1.2 oz of container weight and 2 oz plate. total weight less than 4 oz.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@atvguy wrote:

wrapped in paper, tape weighed maybe 1.2 oz of container weight and 2 oz plate. total weight less than 4 oz.

Well it appears the PO is charging the priority rate so the plate had to weigh more than 2oz. It had to be at least 4 ounces, thats minimum weight of a license plate. So you should have paid the 6oz rate.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Well it appears the PO is charging the priority rate so the plate had to weigh more than 2oz. It had to be at least 4 ounces, thats minimum weight of a license plate. So you should have paid the 6oz rate.

I think the problem has to do with rigidity and the flatness (unde 1/4 inch or something like that)  of the package.    I got hit with something like this once too.   The post office people here could probably explain better. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Items I ship that are flat and rigid I always toss in some type of packaging that makes it uneven.  Otherwise, the PO will upgrade it to Priority since it is considered a 'flat'?  

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Either rigid or uneven would make it a packge rather than a flat.

But perhaps you ran into one of the dinosaurs who is still insisting that a piece must be over 3/4 inch thick in order to be a FC package.  That error could explain the apparent upgrade to Priority.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

I think the problem has to do with rigidity and the flatness (unde 1/4 inch or something like that)  of the package.    I got hit with something like this once too.   The post office people here could probably explain better. Smiley Happy

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think some POs believe a package has to be 3/4" thick to be considered a package and the OP's wasn't so they nailed him. I forgot all about that, I've been busy helping sellers who have been caught trying to cheat the PO by shipping clothing & purses internationally via "first class flat" for $4, those don't qualify obviously and I was thinking of OP's package as the same lumpy envelope for some reason.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@atvguy wrote:

OK, thought perhaps it was stiffened with, or may have had some USPS Priority materials used in the packaging.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

USPS no longer collects "postage due" on packages bearing an online prepaid label.  Instead, they bill the short-paid amount back to the sender.  However, the dollar amount will be at the retail level, not the original commercial rate.

In this case, however, I think the receiving PO is totally wrong.  You sent a package.  It cannot be a letter because it weighs more than 3.5 oz.  It cannot be a flat (aka "large envelope") because it contains a rigid object.  The only thing left is a First Class package at the correct commercial rate for 4 oz. -- with no reason to upgrade to Priority Mail and collect postage due.

Could it be that the buyer is feeding you a line?  Have you seen the actual "postage due" notice?  If not, I suggest you contact the buyer's PO and find out if they messed up or if the buyer is fibbing.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I always print shipping labels through eBay and had a postage due issue this past weekend. The buyer sent a picture of the notice and the receipt so I'm sure he wasn't pulling my leg.  He could not remember the exact weight the package was alleged to be (we had a 5 pound Priority Mail label on it) but it cost us an extra $4.25, which I reimbursed immediately.  It'll be interesting to see if the PO ends up double dipping!

-C

Message 15 of 17
latest reply