cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Free shipping" that arrives postage due

Beginning in 2014, I have been having problems with vendors occasionally selling items postage paid but it arriving with postage due. The problem according to the post office is the vendors either not paying attention to weight limits or else are using inappropriate packaging. It is apparently so common in occurrence that USPS employees suggest it is a deliberate skimming practice but I suspect it is probably just involving a simple misunderstanding of the limits?

In all of the previous cases the vendors rapidly repaid me for the overcharge. The most recent one however will not respond to me at all despite a few days of very polite contact attempts.

My only two options provided by EBay seem to be either requesting a refund or else giving a vendor a bad rating. Another option would of course be ignoring it and accepting the overcharge.  A better option would be really nice.

This is obviously an increasingly common issue (based on similar posts) so perhaps EBAy can add a category so that resolution only requires excess or incorrect postage charges be addressed and reimbursed? Another helpful element might be giving vendors more complete and clear details about how to avoid this from occurring. I have no idea how to suggest either idea to EBay though, hence this post for hopeful discussion.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

$1.10 was not worth investing much time in. I tried communicating politely, which strangely did not work, In the previous cases when this occurred the sellers took care of it promptly.  EBay has in general been a really positive experience with few problems and lots of honest sellers.

Postage due is an easy thing to demonstrate as it shows up in postal records and it is printed on the receipt itself along with the tracking number.

I would have preferred a nicer resolution but lodging a bad rating of my experience ended it for me in a very simple and acceptable way.

It does seem like it would be helpful if some sort of FAQ page could exist for sellers concerning this area.Maybe some sellers are deliberately trying to skim off the postage but I believe the majority of people who do this are probably just making honest mistakes based on something they don't fully understand.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

"Personally, I would not make a big deal out of it for under $1.00 -- either scale could have been off.  MISTAKES can happen.  You have brought it to their attention.  Give it a few days for them to respond. "

Exactly... Just picked up a package Tuesday that was free shipping but arrived with $1.58 postage due. Loved the item, the seller shipped super fast so since I was overall very pleased with the item I just paid the fee and decided to let it go. Gave them great feedback, too and decided not to say anything - this time. But at the same time, I most likely won't buy from that seller again, either, simply because that lingering thought that it's possible I was duped won't go away.  Or, if that seller would have something I really needed or wanted, I'd probably contact him/her before the purchase and tell them at that point what happened with my previous order and ask that they please pay close attention to the postage this time.

Having said all that, the item wasn't expensive in the first place, so that was a large part of my decision to let it go and not start anything over a lousy $1.58. If the amount were substantial I may be singing a different tune.

The girl that I paid said she once had to pay a $30 dollar fee on an item that arrived w/o enough shipping - from something she bought off the river. Now that I'd be making some noise about, no doubt!

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

IMHO you should let the seller know about the Postage Due.   If it was an accident or error on the seller's part, you could actually be doing him a big favor, potentially avoiding future bad feedback or DSRs.  The next buyer who gets stuck with it might not be so mellow about the experience.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@alboxman wrote:
Why wouldn't the local post office just return these packages to the sender?

This came up in conversation at our local post office one day. The answer was that it goes to whoever's closer: the sender or the recipient.

If they catch an outbound package that's underpaid, it gets returned to the local sender for insufficient postage. If they catch an inbound package with the same problem, it gets delivered Postage Due (i.e. either a door knock or a Notice Left, with the charges shown on the form, so they can come in and pay to pick it up).

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

"IMHO you should let the seller know about the Postage Due.   If it was an accident or error on the seller's part, you could actually be doing him a big favor, potentially avoiding future bad feedback or DSRs.  The next buyer who gets stuck with it might not be so mellow about the experience."

I agree completely and wish that had worked. Politely notifying a seller of a problem is always be my first step (normally that takes care of any problem) and it also was my very first course of action this time. I would have greatly preferred a simple refund of the overcharge and being able in good conscience to give them a good rating.

It took the seller three contact attempts on my part before responding that there was "nothing we can do". That lack of concern limited my available options to ignoring it, lodging a complaint or giving our transaction a negative rating.

This has happened to me before but this was the first seller who blew it off as being meaningless.

The strange part is that overdue postage charges are noted in the postal records clearly linked to the parcel tracking number so a seller can easily determine for themself that it actually occurred.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

I myself have recieved seveal Postage Due packages. I always notify the sellers P.O. I always mention it in feedback but the way they respond to my telling them about the Postage Due detirmines if they get the jelly donut of doom or not.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

I used to worry like crazy about that instead of using a scan form I would have them scan every single package in 1 at a time, my estimates were usually right on but occasionally there was the 1 I underestimated and I could just pay the difference. Having a scale is easier I can still estimate well but I put it on there just in case. Then go print my labels
I hope if ever something I sent would come up postage due, that my buyer would contact me so I could fix it and I would feel like an idiot
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@david*42 wrote:

IMHO you should let the seller know about the Postage Due.   If it was an accident or error on the seller's part, you could actually be doing him a big favor, potentially avoiding future bad feedback or DSRs.  The next buyer who gets stuck with it might not be so mellow about the experience.

+1 Definitely agree on this.  The seller should always be notified of any problems.  Any legitimate seller will want to know about anything that has gone wrong to prevent further issues.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@alboxman wrote:
Why wouldn't the local post office just return these packages to the sender?

This came up in conversation at our local post office one day. The answer was that it goes to whoever's closer: the sender or the recipient.

If they catch an outbound package that's underpaid, it gets returned to the local sender for insufficient postage. If they catch an inbound package with the same problem, it gets delivered Postage Due (i.e. either a door knock or a Notice Left, with the charges shown on the form, so they can come in and pay to pick it up).

I was wondering about this, if they did multiple weight checks or not, or is it just that some items are shipped without a weight check and only get checked on the inbound side?  If they actually do outbound and inbound checks on the same package, then that would be very unfair to the shipper having legitimately paid for an outbound label and then getting penalized by a different scale on the inbound side.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

spaceboy909 wrote: ... I was wondering about this, if they did multiple weight checks or not, or is it just that some items are shipped without a weight check and only get checked on the inbound side?  ....

Most packages don't get checked at all.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

I've received a lot of packages with "postage due" over the the last 2 years and it's usually from big top rated powersellers, selling shipping supplies, office supplies, and auto parts. Sometimes I'll get something that's 2lbs 3ozs and it has a 1lb label on it like the seller is intentionally trying to pull one over on the PO. I've had stuff arrive postage due anywhere from 30 cents to $11 I believe and every time I call them because It's a matter of principle. I know mistakes happen but that doesn't mean I have to pay for them. If I pay $10 for something with FREE shiping and it arrives $1 postage due, you bet I'm getting that dollar back as a partial refund or I'll open a case. It's not the money, it's the principle of it. You get 30 things in a year or two arriving postage due and it gets old QUICK! 

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

I had an $18 purchase arrive with $36 due but post man left note only saying "insecure location" along WITH the packages he left on my door from other sellers. It blew away and was found by a neighbor later.  I recieve packages on an average of 4 times a week from Ebay at ths address, and have for over a year and 4 months now. But that is a whole other story.

Long story short, I took me weeks and weeks to get to the bottom of why there was so much postage due as post office employees did not want to say and passed me around in phone calls and messages. Apparently to avoiding saying anything legally binding, implicating seller to any wrong doing. All the while seller is playing dumb with me in messages. Finally after weeks and weeks, post office emloyee tells me off the record that the seller checked "Books/Media" when they shipped my package of sweatshirts.  Most likely to try to get the very very much cheaper shipping rate. I approached it as a simple oversite with seller, and thats when she started really ignoring me.

Then suddenly after over a month, the very next day after the Ebay case closed because to them it looked like we had done nothing for 30 days, (alhtough there is a thread of messages with myself and the seller)...the case closes with no resolve. Then, I recieve a tracking alert from USPS that the package is now headed to a new destination

@outpost1 wrote:

Beginning in 2014, I have been having problems with vendors occasionally selling items postage paid but it arriving with postage due. The problem according to the post office is the vendors either not paying attention to weight limits or else are using inappropriate packaging. It is apparently so common in occurrence that USPS employees suggest it is a deliberate skimming practice but I suspect it is probably just involving a simple misunderstanding of the limits?

In all of the previous cases the vendors rapidly repaid me for the overcharge. The most recent one however will not respond to me at all despite a few days of very polite contact attempts.

My only two options provided by EBay seem to be either requesting a refund or else giving a vendor a bad rating. Another option would of course be ignoring it and accepting the overcharge.  A better option would be really nice.

This is obviously an increasingly common issue (based on similar posts) so perhaps EBAy can add a category so that resolution only requires excess or incorrect postage charges be addressed and reimbursed? Another helpful element might be giving vendors more complete and clear details about how to avoid this from occurring. I have no idea how to suggest either idea to EBay though, hence this post for hopeful discussion.

. A different post office employee tells me (off the record) that the "Book/Media" scam is common. 

Today I just recieved word that I now owe $12 on a new free shipping item I won with a whole new seller. Postal employee says a seller once told him that it worked a big enough percentage of the time that it is worth the risk of one buyer's bad review from time to time. Sellers have also learned to run the clock out with Ebay on the open case by letting sellers chase answers at their local post office, knowing employees will be slow to speak , as they can't speak openly about one customer's mailing fees or transactions to another customer. This is something Ebay needs to fix but untill then buyers need to all be aware of. 

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

It's very unusual for a buyer's Post Office to refuse to discuss the reason for a Postage Due. I can't imagine why they would hesitate in a case as clearcut as this abuse of Media Mail.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

There really is no such thing as running the clock.

File with PayPal.  You have 180 days to file there, not just 30.

If they delay you past that, you can file a chargeback with your credit card company.

Buyers have so many options available. 

As for the package, the post office will only hold it so long.  It's probably going back to the seller. F

Feel free to leave that little red donut.  I think it's deserved.

-Kelly
Message 29 of 31
latest reply

To those saying it's not a big deal you are wrong. If you have already paid the shipping or have free shipping that is all it should be. It is unethical for you to have to pay even a penny more than you already agreed to. If the seller does not respond within a few days contact eBay customer service. This happened to be and i will not accept the package until the seller agrees to refund extra charge since the account due us the same as I paid for the item. It is the sellers responsibility to fix there mistakes not the consumer.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply