cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

post office cheaper than ebay? (please read)

So today i had a clinker of an auction sale.  I put my tail between my legs, made their package all nice.  Printed out my label and affixed it, and set it nicely on the desk for shipping tomorrow.  Then i decided to see what it would cost if someone actually had me ship 2 of these.

So to usps dot com i go to start plugging in numbers and low and behold it would of cost me .63 cents less to ship my item if i bought my postage directly from the post office.  Has anyone else come accross this?  When every penny counts if thats the case ill just go there and do it and manually enter the tracking info myself. any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@tripp_the_lab wrote:

Does first class flat come with tracking?

No, only FCM package rate has tracking. Flats and letters don't.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I used to pay cash at PO to mail my packages, mostly to build up my Pay pal Account to buy big ticket Items, It did cost me a few dollars more but was not concerned. With the Postal rates forever going up, I started printing my Labels, and with the free Tracking, free Insurance (I only ship Priority) I found myself saving $50 a month with Discounted shipping from eBay / Pay pal. My Packages average 5 pounds, so yes, every penny counts. I have never got a cheaper rate over the counter. Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

eBay only prints postage for packages. I suspect that you were comparing eBay's online rate for a First Class package against usps.com's retail price for a First Class flat (AKA Large envelope).

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

All of my items currently are under 16oz. And im shipping first class. 2.66 from ebay and 2.03 directly from the post office.
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

That's correct. So should I just go to post office for first class her on out?
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

$2.03 is the postage for a 6-ounce flat.   Retail postage for a 6-ounce package would be $3.03.

Is your piece a flat or a package?

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

flat. they are shipped in gag mailers. kids shirts
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

err bag (poly) mailers
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

The container does not determine whether your piece is a letter, flat, or package.  An envelope (whatever it's made of) can be a letter, flat, or package depending on factors like weight, dimensions (including thickness), rigidtiy, etc.  If your piece is a flat then you should not mail it using an eBay label for a package.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

ok so i guess next time ill just go to the po and let them determine if i can send as flat. anything under 3/4" wide is considered flat correct?
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

No.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

ok so what is it then? what i read was 3/4in with less than 1/4 in variation
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

You can call me Tony
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@tripp_the_lab wrote:

No, only FCM package rate has tracking. Flats and letters don't.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

ok so theres the difference and i thank you very much. thats all i was after was why was the price different. tracking for 50-60 cents makes sense 🙂
Message 15 of 26
latest reply